A screaming comes across the sky.
It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
Yea yea yea dictator because "there are no term limits". Many democratic countries do not have term limits, but we dont call them a dictatorship. He has been re-elected over and over again. The EU released a report stating that elections in Venezuela are fair and free. "Elections were held in respect of national laws and international standards concerning electoral administration and the electronic voting system. The electronic voting system established in Venezuela is efficient, secure and auditable, and the competence of the technical experts is in line with its advanced technological level.]"
It seems that our media and only our country is the only people throwing around these terms. Remember when we did not have term limits?
So that makes you a dictator if you nationalize and use socialism as an economic policy? It makes you a dictator using agrarian reform? Publicly owned land has already been given to hundreds and thousands of farmers. Based on a 2001 land law that allows the government to expropriate land if judged either idle or unproductive.
On the media... According to Eva Golinger (winner of international award for journalism) "Documents reveal multimillion-dollar funding to journalists and media in Venezuela. State Department documents declassified under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) evidence more than $4 million USD in funding to journalists and private media in Venezuela during the last three years. This funding is part of the more than $40 million USD international agencies are investing annually in anti-Chavez groups in Venezuela in an attempt to provoke regime change." You do realize that there are currently between 90 and 100 newspapers and of which at least 80% side with the political opposition, and on radio there are at least 400 that broadcast the oppositions side? In a recent study "Venezuelan state TV channels had just a 5.4 percent audience share. Of the other 94.6 percent of the audience, 61.4 percent were watching privately owned television channels, and 33.1 percent were watching paid TV." (If you would like to take a look at the study and the data here is a quick link http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/images/wr_t_1.jpg ). Right... "murdering"... Right..
I would really like to see a source on the CNE please...
I think everyone talking about inflation and the economy should look at this report done by the Center for Economic and Policy Research:
Chavez is a joke. He knows it.
"If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
> Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <
That said, here is a link where you can get a lot of information about what’s going on over there. Unless you speak Spanish however, you may find most of the supporting documentation hard to read:VENEZUELA: IS THE NATIONAL ELECTORAL COUNCIL CONTROLLED BY THE EXECUTIVE?
As for your argument, removal of term limits was simply one of many steps Chavez has/is taking to consolidate power so your attempt to argue the issue in a vacuum is disingenuous at best.
Also, your argument that it is “agrarian reform” is total hogwash. When a president expropriates the oil industry, banks, utilities, cement, steel, private property etc. you can’t call it socialism; maybe communism or totalitarianism but not socialism. And we are talking about entire industries so trying to compare it to eminent domain here in the US is a red herring argument. He also expropriated 11 US oil rigs.
Watch these videos and tell me that this is how “socialism” works.