Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 198

Thread: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Touche. But, if the assumption is that most or all Hispanics are illegal, and illegals are somehow inferior to American citizens, could that be potentially construed as somewhat racist?
    Even then it wouldn't because Hispanic is an ethnic group and not a race.
    Hispanics are white and I know Noodle is white, as well.

    So even my example is wrong.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Even then it wouldn't because Hispanic is an ethnic group and not a race.
    Hispanics are white and I know Noodle is white, as well.

    So even my example is wrong.
    I think "Latino" would be a more accurate descriptor of race.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #33
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think "Latino" would be a more accurate descriptor of race.
    Nah, Hispanics are typically White, Mestizo or American Indian.
    The majority being the first 2.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #34
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Nah, Hispanics are typically White, Mestizo or American Indian.
    The majority being the first 2.
    After a little digging it appears you are correct (man I never realized that I was so clueless bout race)

    From Wikipedia:

    Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Reflecting especially the Latin American population, which has origins in all the continents and many ancestries,[5] Hispanic/Latino Americans are very racially diverse, and as a result form an ethnic category, rather than a race.[4][6][7][8] The choice of name depends on geography: Hispanic and Latino Americans who reside in the eastern United States tend to prefer the term Hispanic, whereas those in the west usually prefer Latino.[3]
    Race is pretty much a social construct, with artificially-created categories so I'm not really surprised that it's difficult to delineate those categories.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-25-11 at 03:09 AM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #35
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    After a little digging it appears you are correct (man I never realized that I was so clueless bout race)

    From Wikipedia:

    Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It's crazy isn't it.
    Not trying to be a stickler but some people typically use "racism" as a means to destroy debate.
    I know you weren't but it's always something that annoys me.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #36
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Touche. But, if the assumption is that most or all Hispanics are illegal, and illegals are somehow inferior to American citizens, could that be potentially construed as somewhat racist?
    The assumption that most Hispanics are illegal immigrants is a stereotype.

    Having an unfavorable opinion of illegal immigrants is probably rooted in the fact that one believes they are breaking the law, cheating, etc and should be punished.

    The stereotype results in a prejudice towards Hispanics, not racism.

    Edit: Oops, I see you already agree, wait i don't know, never mind.
    Last edited by drz-400; 03-25-11 at 03:12 AM.

  7. #37
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's crazy isn't it.
    Not trying to be a stickler but some people typically use "racism" as a means to destroy debate.
    I know you weren't but it's always something that annoys me.
    Well I think drz make a good point about the false equivalency between prejudice and racism which is a mistake that a lot of people (yours truly included) are guilty of making.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #38
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    The assumption that most Hispanics are illegal immigrants is a stereotype.

    Having an unfavorable opinion of illegal immigrants is probably rooted in the fact that one believes they are breaking the law, cheating, etc and should be punished.

    The stereotype results in a prejudice towards Hispanics, not racism.

    Edit: Oops, I see you already agree, wait i don't know, never mind.
    I agree with your point that racism and prejudice are not the same. However, when one assumes most Hispanics to illegal, and holds unfavorable prejudicial views on illegal Hispanics, they could potentially be viewing an entire group of people as inferior. Now if an individual holds such attitudes, I think it could fairly be characterized as racism, except for the minor problem of Harry's brilliant point that Hispanic/Latino is not a race. Man, this is confusing the **** outta me lol.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #39
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I agree with your point that racism and prejudice are not the same. However, when one assumes most Hispanics to illegal, and holds unfavorable prejudicial views on illegal Hispanics, they could potentially be viewing an entire group of people as inferior. Now if an individual holds such attitudes, I think it could fairly be characterized as racism, except for the minor problem of Harry's brilliant point that Hispanic/Latino is not a race. Man, this is confusing the **** outta me lol.
    I confused too, I guess its pretty close. Either way it is incorrect reasoning.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New milestone: 1 in 6 Americans is Hispanic

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I agree with your point that racism and prejudice are not the same. However, when one assumes most Hispanics to illegal, and holds unfavorable prejudicial views on illegal Hispanics, they could potentially be viewing an entire group of people as inferior. Now if an individual holds such attitudes, I think it could fairly be characterized as racism, except for the minor problem of Harry's brilliant point that Hispanic/Latino is not a race. Man, this is confusing the **** outta me lol.
    I'd say, "Do you have an ethnic prejudice?"
    That doesn't necessarily get the same feel as other words.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •