Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 202

Thread: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

  1. #111
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    It's foolish but not particularly objectionable.

  2. #112
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    I think this law is "good." However abortion should be made illegal. Within the context of legality, I guess it's a good thing that they are forcing women to wait three days and be informed before they commit an act of legalized murder.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I think that's the most fascinating thing about this debate. Replace "abortion" with "gun" and the demographics of the debate will change dramatically with full reversals of position occurring with many of the people here.

    Personally, I see these laws as the exact same thing as waiting periods for guns. One must wait a short period of time in order to exercise their rights. I'm opposed to these waiting periods in my own state in both cases (mainly because I think they are both pointless wastes of time), but that being said, I support the rights of other states to pass such laws in tehir own jurisdiction. I would oppose both at the federal level.
    I mean, the States are free to pass these sorts of things. I just don't really see a point. Abortion is legal, I don't like it; but I'm also not willing to revolt over it, so I am left with accepting the decision of the SCOTUS. They say it's legal. You can put "waiting periods" in there, but in general I think waiting periods are BS.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #114
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think this law is "good." However abortion should be made illegal. Within the context of legality, I guess it's a good thing that they are forcing women to wait three days and be informed before they commit an act of legalized murder.
    "Should be made illegal" - Why? so I'd have to have 5 kids instead for 4 because 4 kids just isn't enough. . . mmmhmmm. Maybe I should make that decision and no one else as to whether or not my family will grow if nature happens?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Requiring counseling from an unlicensed counselor... an unlicensed counselor, come on. The government can't make sure the therapy is legit or even beneficial to the patient. We all know it's not legit therapy. The therapists are working for a pro life cause, and it raises concerns that some of these females might just be setup to be judged and attacked.
    Those are reasons why the law may not be sound, may be stupidly implimented, or be problematic. Stupidly implimented things done for conservative reasons are still done for conservative reasons, just as stupidly implimented things done for liberal reasons are still liberal things. Because its dumb doesn't make it less conservative.

  6. #116
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Those are reasons why the law may not be sound, may be stupidly implimented, or be problematic. Stupidly implimented things done for conservative reasons are still done for conservative reasons, just as stupidly implimented things done for liberal reasons are still liberal things. Because its dumb doesn't make it less conservative.
    So true.

    But I don't see the harm in it If someone's solidly *wants* to have one then they will still *want* to have it 3 days later.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    And FTR... there is no language in this measure that says it about "protecting the child from harm." The reason issue here is making women wait and think about things after getting an ear full from a pro life "therapist."
    And gun laws mandating a wait aren't written "To keep mentally unstable or compuslive violent people from having guns" but end up making law abiding mentally stable individuals be treated like they're devoid of self control compulsive killers as they have to wait t obe sold a gun. That doesn't change the fact the obvious intent by and large by those pushing the law was to make it harder for compulsive people to quickly get a gun when they're angry.

    Yes, is one of the methods they're employing to attempt to protect the child from harm making the woman feel bad for her action to hopefully cause her to reconsider? Yes, it seems that is the case. And from their perspective she should feel bad, for she's attempting to kill a child. Again, because you don't agree with the method or don't like the method or think the methods stupid is not an explanation for why it is somehow not able to concieved through conservative thought.

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Can I ask a dumb question at this point? Why is it that the people who are most against abortion are also the most against universal health care? Or the most pro-gun?
    Not a dumb question, just one that is a bit obvious.

    If you believe the fetus is an actual child, worthy of legal protection, then he is essentially the same status as a baby. That life should be protected from being INTENTIONALLY ended by choice. Note that "Pro-Life" people aren't saying "Any every women should have health care provided for her to bring the baby to term".

    The people against abortion are against it for the same reasons they're against killing a baby that's 1 month old or or killing an innocent 20 year old killing an innocent elderly gentleman thats 80 years old. Its someone taking hte life of another person, and they're generally agaisnt that.

    Universal Health Care is about giving someone a service for free while forcing individuals supplying the service to do so based on what/how the government says with regards to whats allowed and how much they'll make. Rather than protecting someone from another person who is seeking to do them physical harm, it is forcing individuals to do something for someone else. There's no real comparison here.

    There's even less comparison to pro-gun. Owning a gun does not result in you killing someone. Most gun owners don't suggest we own guns so we can go shooting people because you're angry any more than Pro-Choicers go around saying "we should all have abortions!". Typically pro-gun people wish to have guns for defensive purposes, recreational purposes, or hunting purposes...not to go out and kill people.

    If you don't see the difference someone taking a helpless persons life and someone being unable/unwilling to take the steps to lengthen their own life (in regards to health care) or using a firearm against someone attempting to kill you then I really don't know where to go with this.

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    "Should be made illegal" - Why? so I'd have to have 5 kids instead for 4 because 4 kids just isn't enough. . . mmmhmmm. Maybe I should make that decision and no one else as to whether or not my family will grow if nature happens?
    Why?

    Because Digsbe views that fetus/baby as a child and that you should have no more right to decide that your family should have 4 kids instead of 5 during your first trimester than you have when its their 10th birthday. "Why?" would be because Digsbe views it as a child, no different than the other 4 you have that are living. Your argument of the ability to "make that decision" of whether or not your "family will grow" is no more valid to him when you're pregnant then it is 5 years after you've given birth, because the child is the same in his mind at both those points.

    Seriously, this is your problem and the problem of many people on both sides of this. You try to make arguments that completely and utterly ignore the other sides view point and then get flabbergasted when they don't agree with you.

    Seriously. If someone came to you and said that it should be okay for them to put one of their children to sleep if they could have 4 kids instead of 5 because that decision should be made by them and no on else as to whether they want their family to be that size or not, would you go "Oh, well that makes sense"? Or would you find that completely reprehensable because the person is talking about killing a child?

    Because THAT is what Digsbe views what you are doing. You may disagree with that notion, and you're absolutely free to, but you're being ignorant to think that arguing and discussing a point with him from YOUR view point rather than his is actually going to lead to anything or get any kind of answer from him because its like having someone ask you what shade of blue you like and you answer red.

  10. #120
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,511

    Re: SD governor signs 3-day wait for abortion into law

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And gun laws mandating a wait aren't written "To keep mentally unstable or compuslive violent people from having guns" but end up making law abiding mentally stable individuals be treated like they're devoid of self control compulsive killers as they have to wait t obe sold a gun. That doesn't change the fact the obvious intent by and large by those pushing the law was to make it harder for compulsive people to quickly get a gun when they're angry.

    Yes, is one of the methods they're employing to attempt to protect the child from harm making the woman feel bad for her action to hopefully cause her to reconsider? Yes, it seems that is the case. And from their perspective she should feel bad, for she's attempting to kill a child. Again, because you don't agree with the method or don't like the method or think the methods stupid is not an explanation for why it is somehow not able to concieved through conservative thought.
    So the government should play a role in giving others the chance to make us feel bad to practice our rights? I definitely wouldn't call that small or limited government. The government doesn't need to see that you feel bad or ashamed for practicing a right that the government gives you and permits you to practice in the first place.

    Why does the government need to get involved between people? Why should the government need to give one group of people the chance to tell you exactly what they think of you, and what you are doing?

    I am sorry, but it's my f**king right to buy a gun, to getting a hunting license, to get an abortion... and I shouldn't be forced by THE GOVERNMENT to sit down with an activist and be preached to and ridiculed before I exercise any of my f**king rights!
    Last edited by SheWolf; 03-23-11 at 04:24 PM.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •