Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    As long as you're unapologetic about your imperialist ambitions, that's one thing (with which I obviously disagree).
    To argue that countries should act in their own national interest is not the same thing as imperialist ambitions. Imperialism has a much narrower definition.

    There is not a state in the world that does not act in its interests. The idea that states act or should act strictly in an altruistic fashion with little regard for their interests is fiction.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    To argue that countries should act in their own national interest
    I never said it was, but this conflict boils down to imperialist intervention.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I never said it was, but this conflict boils down to imperialist intervention.
    The comments to which you referred dealt with stability in oil producing countries being in the national interest. There was no advocacy for imposing authority over or colonizing any oil producing states. Stability does not require such conditions. Therefore, I don't believe it is accurate to describe the position to which you referred as being the result of "imperialist ambitions."

    I also believe stability in such countries is important for U.S. interests. However, that is quite different from calling for U.S. or Western control over oil-producing states via coercion or force. If the U.S. wishes to reduce its current level of vulnerability to oil supply shocks, it should pursue a credible energy policy. That it hasn't done so, even as the first supply shocks occurred back in the early 1970s (a near supply shock occurred in 1967), is the reason it is more vulnerable than would otherwise have been the case. Choices--and in this case, long-running political inaction--have consequences. The consequence of this persistent bipartisan inaction (concrete action matters far more than campaign rhetoric) is reduced energy supply flexibility and the adverse effects that result from such reduced flexibility.

  4. #14
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    The comments to which you referred dealt with stability in oil producing countries being in the national interest. There was no advocacy for imposing authority over or colonizing any oil producing states. Stability does not require such conditions. Therefore, I don't believe it is accurate to describe the position to which you referred as being the result of "imperialist ambitions."

    I also believe stability in such countries is important for U.S. interests. However, that is quite different from calling for U.S. or Western control over oil-producing states via coercion or force. If the U.S. wishes to reduce its current level of vulnerability to oil supply shocks, it should pursue a credible energy policy. That it hasn't done so, even as the first supply shocks occurred back in the early 1970s (a near supply shock occurred in 1967), is the reason it is more vulnerable than would otherwise have been the case. Choices--and in this case, long-running political inaction--have consequences. The consequence of this persistent bipartisan inaction (concrete action matters far more than campaign rhetoric) is reduced energy supply flexibility and the adverse effects that result from such reduced flexibility.
    It is not too late to make the proper choices either. All it requires is the political will to do so. I remember Thomas Edison's quote "We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles". Seems to me that, if we wait too long to do what we need to do, that quote will become obsolete.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #15
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    Are we absolutely sure all people are created equally?

    This part of the world puts a real strain on that axiom.

  6. #16
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    One should keep in mind that Gaddafi has always been a beacon of resistance to Western powers so it is far easier to initiate action against him. On the other hand Saleh has been a dutiful soldier of the imperial powers since the Cold War.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  7. #17
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    One should keep in mind that Gaddafi has always been a beacon of resistance to Western powers so it is far easier to initiate action against him. On the other hand Saleh has been a dutiful soldier of the imperial powers since the Cold War.
    Where have you been the past decade? Qadaffi was a strong ally of western powers and Saleh has been wavering on Al Qa'ida for years.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #18
    Advisor Iron Yank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-21-16 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Where have you been the past decade? Qadaffi was a strong ally of western powers and Saleh has been wavering on Al Qa'ida for years.
    Have you been drinking? Qadaffi was not a strong ally of the western powers, a business partner for the Europeans for his oil maybe. But claiming he was a strong ally is just silly. Now..on the other hand he was pals with Louis Farrakan & Reverand Wright who in turn are good pals with out current president.

  9. #19
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Rival tanks deploy in streets of Yemen's capital

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Where have you been the past decade? Qadaffi was a strong ally of western powers and Saleh has been wavering on Al Qa'ida for years.
    While Gaddafi has been more cooperative it would be disingenuous to describe him as a strong ally of the West. Really we just ended his isolation.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •