Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

  1. #1
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Angry ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    The corporations that already have deep pockets dont give a rats ass about what is RIGHT. These are the people that roll back odometers in cars and then sell them!

    ISPs have defended their right to operate a two-speed internet, at a key debate into the future of the web.
    The debate was organised by the government, which is keen to see the principles of a free and equal net maintained.
    ISPs are increasingly looking to prioritise some traffic on their networks and block some.
    After the meeting the BBC called for the creation of a broadband content group to represent content providers.
    It, along with content providers such as Google, Yahoo, Facebook and Skype, is growing increasingly concerned about how the issue of net neutrality is being dealt with.
    Net neutrality - the principle that all net traffic should be treated equally - has been challenged in recent years as ISPs look to make a return on their increasingly expensive networks.
    They argue that if content providers want to pay to get their traffic prioritised on the network, then they should be allowed to do so
    CONTINUED: BBC News - ISPs defend plans for two-tier net
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  2. #2
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    I suggest that someone with much more expertise in Computers than I have set up a massive protest circulated on the web and raise hell to keep things as they are.

  3. #3
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    The corporations that already have deep pockets dont give a rats ass about what is RIGHT. These are the people that roll back odometers in cars and then sell them!
    Could you please provide a link to stories about corporations that are rolling back odometers? TIA.

    .

  4. #4
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    This is disgusting. The proper solution to increasing consumer bandwidth needs is to lay down more cable and increase supply to meet demand. Of course, if you have a monopoly in an utterly corrupt system, you can simply charge more while delivering less and watch your profits increase.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    03-22-16 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    I think it's hilarious that Google of all companies is concerned about possibly not being treated fairly considering that just last month they released a statement saying that they were going to start manipulating search results in order to lower the placing of content providers that Google deemed to be sub-standard, and considering that Google has for years allowed entities to purchase their way into higher placement in search results. Serves them right. I hope the UK really screws them on this one.

  6. #6
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    This is disgusting. The proper solution to increasing consumer bandwidth needs is to lay down more cable and increase supply to meet demand. Of course, if you have a monopoly in an utterly corrupt system, you can simply charge more while delivering less and watch your profits increase.
    That UK/European ISPs want to do it is disgusting. It is odd that this comes out just after the regulator slammed the ISPs in the UK for not delivering even half of the speeds that they advertise and sell (on average).

    In Denmark we tackled the old monopoly system by agreeing a very long "monopoly" for the old state owned phone company to maintain and expand the nations infrastructure, but that came with certain minimum demands. For one, every single home in the country had to be connected to the phone network if they so wished, even the small islands with only 1 person on them. On top of that the national grid was to be opened up for a reasonable price, to any company that wanted to establish it self as an ISP in the country. That meant with in short time Denmark went from 1 ISP and phone provider to many and now has some of the lowest prices and fastest speeds in the world.

    So all it requires is politicians who do NOT listen to the industry and set down specific regulation to promote competition and access. Only competition will promote investment in infrastructure. We have seen this over and over and over again. The mobile network is a great example.

    But have no fear I say.. because this goes against the EU wide policy on open access to the Internet. And one thing that the telecommunications industry does not have, is foot in the door with the EU since the EU forced the liberalisation of the whole industry almost 2 decades ago. Now the EU parliament might try something but it will be blocked by most countries ministers, even IF the UKs agree with the ISPs.
    PeteEU

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle
    The corporations that already have deep pockets dont give a rats ass about what is RIGHT. These are the people that roll back odometers in cars and then sell them!

    Could you please provide a link to stories about corporations that are rolling back odometers? TIA.

    .
    Still Waiting.

  8. #8
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrehalf View Post
    I think it's hilarious that Google of all companies is concerned about possibly not being treated fairly considering that just last month they released a statement saying that they were going to start manipulating search results in order to lower the placing of content providers that Google deemed to be sub-standard, and considering that Google has for years allowed entities to purchase their way into higher placement in search results. Serves them right. I hope the UK really screws them on this one.
    Uhh, putting crappy websites farther down the list is the entire reason you use a search engine in the first place.

    Anyway, net neutrality is an issue that really should cross party lines. It needs to be maintained for reasons too numerous to even list. I hope the Beck fans who were told net neutrality is a liberal plot to take over the internet funded by Soros have learned better since the last thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    This is disgusting. The proper solution to increasing consumer bandwidth needs is to lay down more cable and increase supply to meet demand. Of course, if you have a monopoly in an utterly corrupt system, you can simply charge more while delivering less and watch your profits increase.
    Especially given how the cable they're using now was paid for by taxpayers in the first place.
    Last edited by Deuce; 03-21-11 at 11:15 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    03-22-16 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    586
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Uhh, putting crappy websites farther down the list is the entire reason you use a search engine in the first place.
    I disagree. The word "crappy" is subjective, you can't have neutrality where subjective thought is concerned. Google makes their money by selling preferred treatment. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, all I'm saying is that Google is being hypocritical when they make their money doing that but then complain when the same thing may be done to them.

    As far as net neutrality is concerned, it sounds like a great idea but in practice I don't think it's a great thing. The problem is that there are sites out there that over the last two years have added a lot of functionality, primarily video. Anyone who's been to a news site recently knows what I'm talking about. Sites that jam up bandwidth posting videos should have to pay more, because they have significantly increased their bandwidth requirements and ISP's shouldn't have to be stuck supplying it without compensation.

  10. #10
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: ISPs defend plans for two-tier net

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrehalf View Post
    I disagree. The word "crappy" is subjective, you can't have neutrality where subjective thought is concerned. Google makes their money by selling preferred treatment. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, all I'm saying is that Google is being hypocritical when they make their money doing that but then complain when the same thing may be done to them.

    As far as net neutrality is concerned, it sounds like a great idea but in practice I don't think it's a great thing. The problem is that there are sites out there that over the last two years have added a lot of functionality, primarily video. Anyone who's been to a news site recently knows what I'm talking about. Sites that jam up bandwidth posting videos should have to pay more, because they have significantly increased their bandwidth requirements and ISP's shouldn't have to be stuck supplying it without compensation.
    The ISPs are being compensated - by the subscriber they are delivering that video to. Tacking on a surcharge to netflix is just going to end up on the consumer's bill anyway, using bandwidth that consumer has already paid for. Those cables, by the way, were paid for with your tax dollars.

    Google isn't being hypocritical. It's their own website and the content of that website should be left to them, and whether or not to visit it should be left to you. Not an ISP.

    The ISPs are trying to get permission to charge you again for something you've already paid for twice.

    P.S. The ISPs are full of crap when they say the video streaming is hurting their profit margins.
    Last edited by Deuce; 03-21-11 at 12:18 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •