Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 92

Thread: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

  1. #81
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,937

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The Harvard study was international, which is probably why you're ignoring it.
    Australia wasn't mentioned in the Study.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    I don't think any background checks would prevent what happened in AZ. If a crazy wants to kill a governor, then they will find the weapons, legal or not.

    I would be in favour of background checks if it didn't require the government to have access to all your personal details. Rewarding states that "provide the most data" is a couched way of saying that states will be rewarded for wanton surveillance and databasing of citizens who are doing nothing wrong. The Fed has no business obtaining my personal information or using it to prevent me from purchasing a gun. That's up to my home state, and even then they better have a damn good reason for doing it.

    Whenever the Fed wants to streamline anything, it usually involves stepping on state sovereignty. Yes, it's true, one state could require a background check while the other doesn't require anything, so I could just cross the border. That's just something we have to live with in a system that is supposed to respect state sovereignty.

    In AZ the governor made a public appearance and got shot. Maybe we should stop governors from appearing in public without bulletproof glass around them, a la the pope.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Australia wasn't mentioned in the Study.
    Councilman's source on Australia was sour. However, your conversation was not centered on Australia, but internationally.

    Here's a reminder of the argument you're objecting to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    This story by it's title alone would fit nicely in Media Bias.

    When Are the Conservatives going ro just state the facts when wackos like Obama attack the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment.

    More guns means safer for and it's overlooked and lied about every time this comes up
    .
    Councilman gave a bad source, so I stepped in and gave a good source, demonstrating that more guns = less crime, thereby validating his argument.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-15-11 at 09:46 AM.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    I don't think any background checks would prevent what happened in AZ. If a crazy wants to kill a governor, then they will find the weapons, legal or not.

    I would be in favour of background checks if it didn't require the government to have access to all your personal details. Rewarding states that "provide the most data" is a couched way of saying that states will be rewarded for wanton surveillance and databasing of citizens who are doing nothing wrong. The Fed has no business obtaining my personal information or using it to prevent me from purchasing a gun. That's up to my home state, and even then they better have a damn good reason for doing it.

    Whenever the Fed wants to streamline anything, it usually involves stepping on state sovereignty. Yes, it's true, one state could require a background check while the other doesn't require anything, so I could just cross the border. That's just something we have to live with in a system that is supposed to respect state sovereignty.

    In AZ the governor made a public appearance and got shot. Maybe we should stop governors from appearing in public without bulletproof glass around them, a la the pope.
    Obama wants to reward the reporting of data which is illegal to collect in my state.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    Obama talks a smooth game. But like a magician he distracts his audience while his hands are doing something entirely different.

    He might REALLY mean well this time, but his track record is leads to other conclusions.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #86
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    [QUOTE=Temporal;1059350954]I don't think any background checks would prevent what happened in AZ. If a crazy wants to kill a governor, then they will find the weapons, legal or not

    [HTML]Since if they want to they are going to lets make it easier for them [/HTML]

    I would be in favour of background checks if it didn't require the government to have access to all your personal details. Rewarding states that "provide the most data" is a couched way of saying that states will be rewarded for wanton surveillance and databasing of citizens who are doing nothing wrong. The Fed has no business obtaining my personal information or using it to prevent me from purchasing a gun. That's up to my home state, and even then they better have a damn good reason for doing it.


    [HTML]Yes lets do background checks without checking the background[/HTML]

    Whenever the Fed wants to streamline anything, it usually involves stepping on state sovereignty. Yes, it's true, one state could require a background check while the other doesn't require anything, so I could just cross the border. That's just something we have to live with in a system that is supposed to respect state sovereignty.

    [HTML]Let's do it by city or town, hey why even bother[/HTML]

    In AZ the governor made a public appearance and got shot. Maybe we should stop governors from appearing in public without bulletproof glass around them, a la the pope.

    [HTML]So let me see if I have this right, you want background checks that limit the scope of the check, the federal government can not have the results of the background check, if a person wants to hold public office they should not appear in public without a bullet proof glass enclosure.

    I am in favor of robo-cop technology. A fine for any person who ever leaves home without their AK47, an extra magazine of ammunition and their bullet proof light weight glass enclosure.[/HTML]
    Last edited by EarlzP; 03-15-11 at 10:30 AM.

  7. #87
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Other than keeping a weapon out of someone who is actually mentality screwed up there is no such thing as reasonable control. Who are you or anyone else to do decide if we lowly citizens cant have AK-47s? Government thugs can get copies, gang bangers, mobsters can get them but the lowly citizen cant? Why should a man who has served his debt to society get his right to defend himself be taken away from him?




    Fixed for you
    Every family in Iraq was afforded one AK-47 in their household for self-defense. Where were the liberal anti-gunners protesting against that policy? The selective outrage over firearms is astounding.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Pity you're so uninformed. Still.
    Pity you have to use ad hominem attacks without any real arguments. It betrays the weakness of your position.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Every family in Iraq was afforded one AK-47 in their household for self-defense. Where were the liberal anti-gunners protesting against that policy? The selective outrage over firearms is astounding.
    Not really a liberal, but everyone seems to enjoy responding to your idiotic partisan rants, so I figure I might as well give it a try.

    1) They didn't know.

    2) It's Iraq so I don't care.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Obama eyes 'common sense' US gun control

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Obama wants to reward the reporting of data which is illegal to collect in my state.
    Then it will remain illegal in your state, right? At least I hope so.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •