Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 170

Thread: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play slave

  1. #111
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    why do this at all? it borders on incompetence. i know, let's re-enact the death camps!!
    Because getting out of your seat and pretending you were there in history changes you. Did you not read my story about my high school reenacting the concentration camps? It was powerful. I will never, ever forget it. It made me more aware of what happened and just a twinge of what they felt like being lead to slaughter. You never were part of a reenactment?


  2. #112
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i disagree. chemistry and biology and driving and music lessons don't make a student feel humiliated. wrong line of reasoning, here.
    You seem to have a very skewed view of kids and what they go through at school.

    Chemistry - the kid who accidentally drops the acid on the teacher's shoe?

    Biology - the student who has to read aloud about the reproductive system?

    Driving - good Lord....you can't think of ANYTHING during a driving lesson where a kid would be humiliated???

    Music - try singing a solo in front of your entire class and messing up the words or hitting a wrong note.


  3. #113
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    So the fat kids shouldn't have to run in PE?

    So the poor readers should never read aloud in class?

    So the clumsy kid should not be allowed to carry his own lunch tray?

    So the kid who pees his pants in school should be homeschooled from then on since kids will tease him about it forever?

    You can't shield kids from humiliation. Teaching about slavery isn't a lesson in humiliation, but a lesson in remembering our past and how horrific it was. You're always going to have some student that gets embarassed about something every single day. You can't walk on eggshells because of it or dumb/dull down your lessons because it might make someone a little uncomfortable.
    please mellie, use some common sense here. teaching about slavery is important, but re-enacting slave auctions is completely unnecessary, for exactly the reason you mentioned, kids are humiliated enough just by everyday life, why add to that? not play acting this particular scenario is NOT "dumbing down" anything.

    i am willing to concede that possibly this teacher meant no harm, but it sounds like you are just fine with making your students uncomfortable, possibly even humiliating them. i ask you, why would YOU do this when you know a student of yours would be uncomfortable? what sort of lesson does that teach? sometimes being pc is the right thing to do.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #114
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Because getting out of your seat and pretending you were there in history changes you. Did you not read my story about my high school reenacting the concentration camps? It was powerful. I will never, ever forget it. It made me more aware of what happened and just a twinge of what they felt like being lead to slaughter. You never were part of a reenactment?
    two words......high school. how many jews did you go to high school with?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #115
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    You seem to have a very skewed view of kids and what they go through at school.

    Chemistry - the kid who accidentally drops the acid on the teacher's shoe?

    Biology - the student who has to read aloud about the reproductive system?

    Driving - good Lord....you can't think of ANYTHING during a driving lesson where a kid would be humiliated???

    Music - try singing a solo in front of your entire class and messing up the words or hitting a wrong note.
    silly comparisons, mellie.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #116
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    So the fat kids shouldn't have to run in PE?

    So the poor readers should never read aloud in class?

    So the clumsy kid should not be allowed to carry his own lunch tray?

    So the kid who pees his pants in school should be homeschooled from then on since kids will tease him about it forever?

    You can't shield kids from humiliation. Teaching about slavery isn't a lesson in humiliation, but a lesson in remembering our past and how horrific it was. You're always going to have some student that gets embarassed about something every single day. You can't walk on eggshells because of it or dumb/dull down your lessons because it might make someone a little uncomfortable.
    Would you have students act as Jews being led to the gas chambers?


  7. #117
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    please mellie, use some common sense here. teaching about slavery is important, but re-enacting slave auctions is completely unnecessary, for exactly the reason you mentioned, kids are humiliated enough just by everyday life, why add to that? not play acting this particular scenario is NOT "dumbing down" anything.

    i am willing to concede that possibly this teacher meant no harm, but it sounds like you are just fine with making your students uncomfortable, possibly even humiliating them. i ask you, why would YOU do this when you know a student of yours would be uncomfortable? what sort of lesson does that teach? sometimes being pc is the right thing to do.
    Seems to me the student didn't care until his mother bought it up, and there've never been any complaints about this before, so it seems like one drama queen has blown it out of proportion.

    EDIT: By drama queen I mean the mother, not liblady, I realised that could sound bad.
    Last edited by spud_meister; 03-15-11 at 12:15 PM.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #118
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    I'm imaginging liblady as a teacher....

    Johnny throws an eraser at her. Instead of getting in his face and telling him he'll never, ever do that again and embarassing him in front of the entire class, she'll just say, "That's okay, Johnny. It just slipped out of your hand, didn't it?"

    When teaching about how a bill becomes law, liblady knows the teacher beside her does a reenactment with Reps and Dems in Congress creating a bill and eventually getting to the President to sign. Liblady decides to just have the kids sit in their seats and listen to her read out of the social studies book because someone might be embarassed to be labeled "Democrat". And it's just not fair to pick one "President".

    During PE, liblady decides to have the entire class run a mile. She knows Susie has a weight problem and really doesn't like to run. She knows Susie gets embarassed when she runs because she's really slow. So liblady tells Susie, "You don't have to run today. Just go sit over there and color."

    You cannot shelter kids from humiliation. You'll ruin them. Lib, I have already said that if I knew a student wouldn't understand what was going on, I would choose another student. So, no, I'm not looking for students to humiliate. Good try, though.


  9. #119
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Would you have students act as Jews being led to the gas chambers?
    Did you not read that I did that in high school? I would do it with a high school class, absolutely.


  10. #120
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Bad lesson? Ohio elementary school in trouble after black student made to play sl

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    two words......high school. how many jews did you go to high school with?
    I don't believe there were any jews in my class. What difference does it make?

    Are you okay with doing this in a high school class?


Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •