Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    PHOENIX — In Arizona, fervor against illegal immigration is so intense that politicians have pushed some of the nation’s toughest laws and citizen activists have patrolled the border themselves. But census data released Thursday show another side of the population story: Arizonans are increasingly becoming Hispanic.
    The irony here is pretty thick. Despite the government's harshest measures, the rate of increase of the Hispanic population is among the hugest in the United States.

    For illegal immigration, Arizona authorities need to crack down, but if they take it as far as the bigotry that racial profiling is based on, then they should consider what it is like to be a minority in Arizona. After all, white people WILL be a minority in Arizona eventually. When that happens, they had better hope that the LEGAL Hispanic majority in Arizona doesn't remember what was done to them in an earlier time. If they do, then it is just possible that you might be seeing white people stopped by the police on a regular basis, and being forced to show proof that they are not members of the Ku Klux Klan.

    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-13-11 at 06:04 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Article is here.

    On top of that, Latino community activists here suspect that there was probably a significant undercount of the state’s Hispanic population, with many not participating to make a political point.

    “They did not want to participate because they did not want the additional money that the state could get to be utilized by law enforcement and the persecution of people that are brown,” said Salvador Reza, a community activist.
    Talk about a lame excuse.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The irony here is pretty thick. Despite the government's harshest measures, the rate of increase of the Hispanic population is among the hugest in the United States.

    For illegal immigration, Arizona authorities need to crack down, but if they take it as far as the bigotry that racial profiling is based on, then they should consider what it is like to be a minority in Arizona. After all, white people WILL be a minority in Arizona eventually. When that happens, they had better hope that the LEGAL Hispanic majority in Arizona doesn't remember what was done to them in an earlier time. If they do, then it is just possible that you might be seeing white people stopped by the police on a regular basis, and being forced to show proof that they are not members of the Ku Klux Klan.

    Article is here.
    I don't mind that people don't agree with the Arizona immigration law, I just wish they would argue what it actually is/says rather than what it isn't. Besides, nobody can say what the effect of the law is, or what it's "done to them" as it's never even been implemented.
    Last edited by X Factor; 03-13-11 at 06:25 PM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I don't mind that people don't agree with the Arizona immigration law, I just wish they would argue what it actually is/says rather than what it isn't. Besides, nobody can say what the effect of the law is, or what it's "done to them" as it's never even been implemented.
    Oh it still has an effect. That is really undeniable. Look at all the court cases, people protesting, quite possibly even people moving out due to not wanting to be caught by it if it does go into effect.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Oh it still has an effect. That is really undeniable. Look at all the court cases, people protesting, quite possibly even people moving out due to not wanting to be caught by it if it does go into effect.
    Good point. What I should have said is that we have no way of knowing how it would be enforced.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #6
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The irony here is pretty thick. Despite the government's harshest measures, the rate of increase of the Hispanic population is among the hugest in the United States.

    For illegal immigration, Arizona authorities need to crack down, but if they take it as far as the bigotry that racial profiling is based on, then they should consider what it is like to be a minority in Arizona. After all, white people WILL be a minority in Arizona eventually. When that happens, they had better hope that the LEGAL Hispanic majority in Arizona doesn't remember what was done to them in an earlier time. If they do, then it is just possible that you might be seeing white people stopped by the police on a regular basis, and being forced to show proof that they are not members of the Ku Klux Klan.

    Article is here.
    It's not against the law to be members of the KKK.

    This census data is simply confirming what Arizona's been complaining about.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #7
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's not against the law to be members of the KKK.

    This census data is simply confirming what Arizona's been complaining about.
    Just as it is not against the law to be Hispanic, which is the entire point that I was making. Do you realize you just implied that simply being Hispanic should be illegal?
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-13-11 at 06:45 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Just as it is not against the law to be Hispanic, which is the entire point that I was making. Do you realize you just implied that simply being Hispanic should be illegal?
    I certainly didn't see that implication. Perhaps you're just reading too much into it?

    See thats the problem with making the entire illegal aliens debate about race. And frankly it is a far more common tactic from the pro-illegals for the simple fact that they know they would definitely lose if they debated this subject honestly.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #9
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I certainly didn't see that implication. Perhaps you're just reading too much into it?

    See thats the problem with making the entire illegal aliens debate about race. And frankly it is a far more common tactic from the pro-illegals for the simple fact that they know they would definitely lose if they debated this subject honestly.
    Actually, you made a good point. Let me rephrase what I badly phrased in the first place.

    Maggie says that it is not against the law to be members of the KKK. OK, that's a given. However, I was using hyperbole in my example, which shows that racial profiling can cut both ways. Will Hispanics demand to see papers of White people to see if they are members of the KKK, when they assume power in Arizona. Of course not. But the whole idea is not using racial profiling to see if white people are members of the KKK, nor to use racial profiling to see if Hispanics are illegal aliens. I probably could have picked a better example, but the issue is of racial profiling. In that spirit, let me redo my last post.

    When Hispanics assume power in Arizona, would it be right for them to assume that all White people are capable of being white collar criminals? I would say no more right than to assume that all Hispanics are capable of being illegal immigrants.

    NOTE: I brought it up in this manner, in order to bring up another point, should it arise.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-13-11 at 06:58 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #10
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Hispanics Are Surging in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Just as it is not against the law to be Hispanic, which is the entire point that I was making. Do you realize you just implied that simply being Hispanic should be illegal?
    No, that's not what I implied. You inferred it.

    It is against the law to be an illegally immigrate into the United States of America. Dan, how would you have us enforce it?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •