Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't think they really have the resources, much less the inclination, to maintain such operations for a sustained period of time all by themselves.
    Well if we did it, which everyone is expecting for. People would come out in droves and accuse us of imperiliasm. So all I am saying is. That the situation in Libya affects Italy and the Arabs more than us. And they DO have the money and resources for such an operation. But the inclination part I agree with you.

  2. #42
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    Well if we did it, which everyone is expecting for. People would come out in droves and accuse us of imperiliasm. So all I am saying is. That the situation in Libya affects Italy and the Arabs more than us. And they DO have the money and resources for such an operation. But the inclination part I agree with you.
    To properly enforce a no-fly zone over Libya, it would take a fifth-generation high-tech air force (meaning it has to be a Western air force, including US/NATO/EU). You need hundreds of combat aircraft, AWACS, tankers etc. The logistical implications themselves are absurd. I don't think the Arabs could do it properly just by themselves.

  3. #43
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    To properly enforce a no-fly zone over Libya, it would take a fifth-generation high-tech air force (meaning it has to be a Western air force, including US/NATO/EU). You need hundreds of combat aircraft, AWACS, tankers etc. The logistical implications themselves are absurd. I don't think the Arabs could do it properly just by themselves.
    How big do you think Gaddafi's air force is?

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya


  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    To properly enforce a no-fly zone over Libya, it would take a fifth-generation high-tech air force (meaning it has to be a Western air force, including US/NATO/EU). You need hundreds of combat aircraft, AWACS, tankers etc. The logistical implications themselves are absurd. I don't think the Arabs could do it properly just by themselves.
    Here's the Arab Air Forces list.

    Algeria- MiG-25, MiG-29, Su-24, Su-30MKA, Il-76/78
    Saudi Arabia- F-15C/D/S/SA, Tornado ADV/IDS, Eurofighter Typhoon, E-3 AEW&C, KE-3, C-130, CN-235
    Qatar- Mirage 2000, C-17, C-130
    United Arab Emirates- Mirage 2000, F-16E/F
    Kuwait- F/A-18C/D, C-130
    Oman- Jaguar International, F-16C/D
    Morocco- Mirage F-1, F-5E/F, C/KC-130
    Bahrain- F-5E/F, F-16C/D
    Jordan- Mirage F-1, F-5E/F, F-16A/B/ADF, CN-235/295, C-27, C-130
    Turkey- F-4E, F-16C/D, Boeing 737 AEW&C, KC-135, C-160, C-130
    Pakistan- JF-17, J-7, Mirage III/5, F-16A/B/C/D, Q-5, Saab 2000 AEW&C, C-130, Il-78
    Yemen- MiG-21, F-5E/F, MiG-29, C-130, An-12 An-24, An-26
    Egypt- MiG-21, J-7, F-4E, F-16C/D, Mirage-2000, C-130, E-2 AEW&C
    Syria- MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29, MiG-25 Su-22, Su-24, An-26, Il-76
    Tunisia- F-5E/F, C-130

  6. #46
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    The Arab League wants a no fly zone? Good.


    But, why are they voting on a no fly zone, then telling the UN, "Go do it?"

    Why are the war hawks in the US blaming Obama for not enforcing a no fly zone?

    Just whose war is it?

    If the Arab League wants a no fly zone, then let them enforce a no fly zone and keep us infidels out of it. Don't they want Arabs to solve Arab problems?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #47
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    Here's the Arab Air Forces list.

    Algeria- MiG-25, MiG-29, Su-24, Su-30MKA, Il-76/78
    Saudi Arabia- F-15C/D/S/SA, Tornado ADV/IDS, Eurofighter Typhoon, E-3 AEW&C, KE-3, C-130, CN-235
    Qatar- Mirage 2000, C-17, C-130
    United Arab Emirates- Mirage 2000, F-16E/F
    Kuwait- F/A-18C/D, C-130
    Oman- Jaguar International, F-16C/D
    Morocco- Mirage F-1, F-5E/F, C/KC-130
    Bahrain- F-5E/F, F-16C/D
    Jordan- Mirage F-1, F-5E/F, F-16A/B/ADF, CN-235/295, C-27, C-130
    Turkey- F-4E, F-16C/D, Boeing 737 AEW&C, KC-135, C-160, C-130
    Pakistan- JF-17, J-7, Mirage III/5, F-16A/B/C/D, Q-5, Saab 2000 AEW&C, C-130, Il-78
    Yemen- MiG-21, F-5E/F, MiG-29, C-130, An-12 An-24, An-26
    Egypt- MiG-21, J-7, F-4E, F-16C/D, Mirage-2000, C-130, E-2 AEW&C
    Syria- MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29, MiG-25 Su-22, Su-24, An-26, Il-76
    Tunisia- F-5E/F, C-130
    I wasn't talking about types of aircraft per se (although some of the planes on that list are still pretty damn obsolete). I think the more important point is that the Arab League does not possess the logistical and operational capabilities to keep such an operation going for a sustained period of time. Only Western air forces have the real capability to do so, in my opinion.

  8. #48
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,684

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Gaddafi's survival has always been on the cards. There never was a point in the US getting involved here and it looks pretty clearly like Gaddafi's forces will be back in control of all major cities by the end of next week.

    The Arab league no-fly zone now is very strange - they could also have waited and left it looking like a British and French idea to remove Gaddafi. This will make the next Arab league meeting very strange when Gaddafi walks into the meeting as President.
    Which is why Obamas recent statements are so stupid. First for three weeks they were silent. Now...THERES some great leadership. Then...on Friday when it looks like the Libyan forces are pretty much starting to gain the upper hand...he comes out and says he is "slowly tightening the noose" on Qaddafi. Dood is a day late on EVERYTHING. He is paralyzed by fear. I agre we should NOT have engaged...and we should have DECISIVELY said so from the get-go, while fully supporting immediate action by the UN and AL. His silence certainly didnt contribute to the rebels success, or to a more peaceful resolution of the problem. He has done there what he has done with ALL of his foreign policy decisions. Squat. Vote 'present.' Nothing.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I wasn't talking about types of aircraft per se (although some of the planes on that list are still pretty damn obsolete). I think the more important point is that the Arab League does not possess the logistical and operational capabilities to keep such an operation going for a sustained period of time. Only Western air forces have the real capability to do so, in my opinion.
    YES THEY DO. They have hundreds of fighters and transport aircraft. These are not African countries. These are rich and former sustained Soviet satellites. They have enough aircraft
    for logistics, etc. Let them do it.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Arab League backs no-fly zone in Libya

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Which is why Obamas recent statements are so stupid. First for three weeks they were silent. Now...THERES some great leadership. Then...on Friday when it looks like the Libyan forces are pretty much starting to gain the upper hand...he comes out and says he is "slowly tightening the noose" on Qaddafi. Dood is a day late on EVERYTHING. He is paralyzed by fear. I agre we should NOT have engaged...and we should have DECISIVELY said so from the get-go, while fully supporting immediate action by the UN and AL. His silence certainly didnt contribute to the rebels success, or to a more peaceful resolution of the problem. He has done there what he has done with ALL of his foreign policy decisions. Squat. Vote 'present.' Nothing.
    Yeah Obama's a moron but he can at least speak without stuttering.

    The problem with Obama is that he sees inaction as the best action. And when he talks he is hoping that is words of "encouragement" will be suffice. He is trying to hard to compare himself to a great leader without actually being one. Great leaders in our past were decisive and blunt but did it with an intellectualy capability that we have not seen for a long time. I am just saying. We have lost leadership in this nation a LONG time ago.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •