Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 150

Thread: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

  1. #81
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    we can't be kicking kids out of school at 12 or 13. they can't work yet, and that's a bit early to give up on them. i've known plenty of 12-13 yr olds who got into trouble in jr high, because they couldn't quite handle the additional freedom, but straightened out and did just fine in hs.

    at 16, they can work, and in many states they can take a ged test.
    I didn't say kick them into the streets and make them get jobs. bring back or improve the vocational tracks in the public schools. when I was a kid, almost half the students in my class went to trade school. they would spend the first half of the day in classes (math, science, english) and then in the afternoon they would go to the trade/voc school and learn mechanics, autobody repair, cosmetology, etc, etc.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I didn't say kick them into the streets and make them get jobs. bring back or improve the vocational tracks in the public schools. when I was a kid, almost half the students in my class went to trade school. they would spend the first half of the day in classes (math, science, english) and then in the afternoon they would go to the trade/voc school and learn mechanics, autobody repair, cosmetology, etc, etc.
    I've usually been resistant to the idea of vocational schools, but I think I have to reevaluate that. The problems of education will take a long time to fix, but at least something like this can make people contribute to society and lower crime levels. I still think we can be working on the other problems in the background, but yeah, if students who will otherwise fail in the system can be turned in another direction, I think that solves a lot of problems and would probably even curb a lot of the issues that come a long with poverty (i.e. if I can work on cars and maybe own my business one day, I don't have to steal them).

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    By 'so', are you saying that's were you came from? A racist garbage dump?

    Or just 'so what' if he's a racist. It's his god-given right to hate black people? Is that what you mean by 'so'?
    So, as the simple mention of the AG's race doesn't prove someone is from Stormfront and it was nothing but an attempted dodge from actually dealing with the topic. Seriously, I've seen stormfront trolls. I've had to deal with stormfront trolls. What the guy said is far, far from what you get from posters coming from there.

    SO...how about you stop attempting to derail the topic or avoid discussing it, and actually talk about it if you want to post in the thread. Attacking the PERSON posting it with baseless accusations doesn't do that.

    Strawman -- revealing your own bigotry and racist feelings toward the AG of the United States because of the color of his skin. Shameful.
    Wait, so asking you if you agree or disagree with the action that is the topic of this thread is a strawman and racist?

    When in the world did I even mention or give any credance to the AG's race? I'm simply asking if you agree with the action talked about in this thread or not.

    I've never seen someone so blatantly enter a thread with the specific desire not to even address the topic before. You should actually research what a strawman argument is. Me asking you your opinion on the topic of the thread one way or another isn't a strawman. You however declaring that someone is a stormfront troll and attacking that is a strawman. You suggesting I'm racist simply for asking your opinion on a situation is a strawman

  4. #84
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    From what I've heard, they don't really talk about vocational education is low-income schools. They bring up the military...but then half the kids don't graduate. I think vocational education would be a really good short term solution to getting people contributing to society, but in the long term, I still think we need make an effort to bring poor kids up to better levels. People keep saying that this is a lost cause, but the problem is, our government and education system has never actually tried to do it.
    what's wrong with construction, mechanical repair, or anything else like that? we need all kinds of people in our society, and everbody CAN'T be a doctor.

    absolutely, we should always strive to raise up the poor, but let's face it, some people will never make 100k a year, nor should they. as long as people can work with a living wage i'm ok with that. we will always have SOME lost causes.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    obama's doj is crazily color conscious, it appears

    its dismissal of the black panther voter intimidation case after the bush doj won a default judgement (because the defendants failed to appear) has been said by a pair of doj attorneys to reflect the dept's refusal to prosecute cases against african americans where the plaintiffs are white

    wapo did a 5 (web) page story last october on this pooh pooh of the panthers that was explosive, the post's report realistically can only be seen as the laying of a groundwork for far reaching congressional investigation into and action on the matter

    should the opposition ever opt to go that route, that is

    conservatives should read the post, every word---liberals will of course steer clear

    Dispute over New Black Panthers case causes deep divisions

    it appears absolutely no justification exists for the dropping of the panthers, for the ridiculous ruling that mr shabazz stay away for 2 years from philly precincts only (he's free to take his billy club to scranton, for instance)

    hauled before house appropriations last week, an exasperated holder slipped---all these questions about mr shabazz' night stick were demeaning, the ag sputtered, "to my people"

    Eric Holder: Black Panther case focus demeans 'my people' - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

    my people?

    awfully race conscious for a united states attorney general

    and now this, the doj's demand that dayton cops lower their standards---for obvious reasons

    talk about demeaning millions of americans

    oh well, party on

  6. #86
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I've usually been resistant to the idea of vocational schools, but I think I have to reevaluate that. The problems of education will take a long time to fix, but at least something like this can make people contribute to society and lower crime levels. I still think we can be working on the other problems in the background, but yeah, if students who will otherwise fail in the system can be turned in another direction, I think that solves a lot of problems and would probably even curb a lot of the issues that come a long with poverty (i.e. if I can work on cars and maybe own my business one day, I don't have to steal them).
    I knew we'd come to agree on an issue or two. Can you imagine what it must be like to sit in a classroom and have everything go over your head? To always fail? To just, well, feel hopeless and helpless? We simply must have alternatives for these kids. Success (at anything) is soooo important. Let's give some of these kids something to succeed at besides, as you say, stealing cars.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #87
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    That was a nice swipe, but unfortunately that's not a trait exclusive to Republicans.

    I respect anyone who earns an honest living as well, but I also acknowledge the fact that education needs to prepare American students for the 'age of innovation' (there's probably a better term) that's replaced the age of industrialization that our system was built on. We are falling behind the rest of the world and that will not only challenge our credibility with our allies but also our dominance in science, engineering, computer science and other areas that, if say the Chinese become great at, we're screwed. I understand the argument for vocational schools, but I don't see why that can't be accompanied with improving schools that already exist since we haven't really tried that.
    Unfortunately, a lot of kids just don't care. Nor do their parents.

    "Education" is a just a crutch word. We use it as the answer to everything: teenage pregnancy, drug addition, gang violence...... What does it mean? How does throwing money at it help at all?

    Most meaningful education comes via personal curiosity and pressure from parental units. The best and brightest tend to educate themselves more than anything.

    The breakdown in families is the reason for America's education problem. That, and the lack of responsible parents. That's why Asians are outperforming much of the world; they don't have the familial issues America has.

    And we keep making excuses for our preponderance of single-parent households, and explain around it likes it's barely there. That is the problem, plain and simple.

  8. #88
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I didn't say kick them into the streets and make them get jobs. bring back or improve the vocational tracks in the public schools. when I was a kid, almost half the students in my class went to trade school. they would spend the first half of the day in classes (math, science, english) and then in the afternoon they would go to the trade/voc school and learn mechanics, autobody repair, cosmetology, etc, etc.
    hey...i already mentioned voc schools.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #89
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    obama's doj is crazily color conscious, it appears

    its dismissal of the black panther voter intimidation case after the bush doj won a default judgement (because the defendants failed to appear) has been said by a pair of doj attorneys to reflect the dept's refusal to prosecute cases against african americans where the plaintiffs are white

    wapo did a 5 (web) page story last october on this pooh pooh of the panthers that was explosive, the post's report realistically can only be seen as the laying of a groundwork for far reaching congressional investigation into and action on the matter

    should the opposition ever opt to go that route, that is

    conservatives should read the post, every word---liberals will of course steer clear

    Dispute over New Black Panthers case causes deep divisions

    it appears absolutely no justification exists for the dropping of the panthers, for the ridiculous ruling that mr shabazz stay away for 2 years from philly precincts only (he's free to take his billy club to scranton, for instance)

    hauled before house appropriations last week, an exasperated holder slipped---all these questions about mr shabazz' night stick were demeaning, the ag sputtered, "to my people"

    Eric Holder: Black Panther case focus demeans 'my people' - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

    my people?

    awfully race conscious for a united states attorney general

    and now this, the doj's demand that dayton cops lower their standards---for obvious reasons

    talk about demeaning millions of americans

    oh well, party on
    Let me add.....

    Everyone knows this - everyone - and yet it goes largely unreported and undiscussed. And that is making for deeper divisions and greater angst.

    In other words, it's good business for the Democrats and Jesse Jacksons of the world.

  10. #90
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I'm saying that in many poor schools, they advertise the military as a HUGE option for students. I assume it's because you can join with a high school diploma. In my schools, the military came and told about our options, but they didn't push it that hard. (I'm just reporting what has happened in a lot of inner-city schools, I'm not trying to offend the military if that's what you think).


    No I think you are under the impression that the military is made up of poor people, when in fact the poor are underrepresented compared to other economic classes.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •