Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 150

Thread: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    agreed. but i think we still have a responsbility to attempt to educate until the age of 16. kids can't change their parents. i would never agree, (and can hardly believe) that 19 year olds are ninth graders. oscar was correct when he said everbody can't be a doctor, or whatever it was he posted. most kids can be trained for something, it use to be called vocational education, is that gone now?
    From what I've heard, they don't really talk about vocational education is low-income schools. They bring up the military...but then half the kids don't graduate. I think vocational education would be a really good short term solution to getting people contributing to society, but in the long term, I still think we need make an effort to bring poor kids up to better levels. People keep saying that this is a lost cause, but the problem is, our government and education system has never actually tried to do it.

  2. #72
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    From what I've heard, they don't really talk about vocational education is low-income schools. They bring up the military...but then half the kids don't graduate. I think vocational education would be a really good short term solution to getting people contributing to society, but in the long term, I still think we need make an effort to bring poor kids up to better levels. People keep saying that this is a lost cause, but the problem is, our government and education system has never actually tried to do it.

    what's your point on the military? Are you saying that the poor get routed into the military?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #73
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    agreed. but i think we still have a responsbility to attempt to educate until the age of 16.
    I think 16 is a bit old. you can usually tell by the time a kid is 12-13 whether or not he/she is cut out for academia. what you wind up with is a bunch of kids hanging around killing time and causing trouble in middle school waiting to turn 16 so they can drop out.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    In those schools, problem children are dealt with, and parents get involved. You don't see the "victimization card" played against the teachers, so they can actually do their job.
    It's not BS, I went to a private high school where some (obviously not most) parents didn't give a crap. They paid the money (so they did give a bit of crap), but some were never home, some were raging alcoholics, some never went to any of their children's events, some students had to take care of their siblings while their parents were off doing god knows what. But they had things in a great education system because of their parents money to escape from it all and do well.

    Also, why do so many people on this board call the facts of poverty 'victimization'? They aren't 'victims'. In every country throughout the entirety of history, the poor are ALWAYS the least educated and benefit the least from society. Why are we still denying this thousands of years into civilization?

  5. #75
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    From what I've heard, they don't really talk about vocational education is low-income schools. They bring up the military...but then half the kids don't graduate. I think vocational education would be a really good short term solution to getting people contributing to society, but in the long term, I still think we need make an effort to bring poor kids up to better levels. People keep saying that this is a lost cause, but the problem is, our government and education system has never actually tried to do it.
    There is a lot of truth to the old saying, "the world needs ditch diggers, too."

    I respect anyone who earns an honest living. I think most people feel that way.

    Having a trade lends itself to high self-esteem. I think that's why the Hispanic American outperform black Americans by such a large margin; they aren't relying on being the next LeBron or Pdiddy. Most Hispanics take tremendous pride in the value of work, family, and self-reliance. In many cases, they're Republicans and don't know it.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    what's your point on the military? Are you saying that the poor get routed into the military?
    I'm saying that in many poor schools, they advertise the military as a HUGE option for students. I assume it's because you can join with a high school diploma. In my schools, the military came and told about our options, but they didn't push it that hard. (I'm just reporting what has happened in a lot of inner-city schools, I'm not trying to offend the military if that's what you think).

  7. #77
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's not BS, I went to a private high school where some (obviously not most) parents didn't give a crap. They paid the money (so they did give a bit of crap), but some were never home, some were raging alcoholics, some never went to any of their children's events, some students had to take care of their siblings while their parents were off doing god knows what. But they had things in a great education system because of their parents money to escape from it all and do well.

    Also, why do so many people on this board call the facts of poverty 'victimization'? They aren't 'victims'. In every country throughout the entirety of history, the poor are ALWAYS the least educated and benefit the least from society. Why are we still denying this thousands of years into civilization?
    What I mean is, parent's in the inner cities constantly blame the teacher for their kids' lack of performance or poor conduct. Parents make excuses for their kids, because the parents themselves have been institutionalized to play the "vicitim" and expect government to be the answer to all their problems.

    In the suburbs, no such excuses are available for parents, and if they play that game, they'll be summarily dismissed unless they have concrete evidence.

    And the "raging alcholocs" and problem parents at your school made up a small fraction of the parents. In the inner cities, it's the vast majority.
    Last edited by Erod; 03-14-11 at 12:26 PM.

  8. #78
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I think 16 is a bit old. you can usually tell by the time a kid is 12-13 whether or not he/she is cut out for academia. what you wind up with is a bunch of kids hanging around killing time and causing trouble in middle school waiting to turn 16 so they can drop out.
    we can't be kicking kids out of school at 12 or 13. they can't work yet, and that's a bit early to give up on them. i've known plenty of 12-13 yr olds who got into trouble in jr high, because they couldn't quite handle the additional freedom, but straightened out and did just fine in hs.

    at 16, they can work, and in many states they can take a ged test.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #79
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    I don't think myself racist.

    But I think front-of-the-bus programs have no place in todays age.

    They are racist.

    If there is a spot open in the front simply walk to it and sit down. Problem solved.

    Make sure the recruiting mechanism is properly scrutinized and the problem will fix itself if one exsists.
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 03-14-11 at 12:29 PM.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    There is a lot of truth to the old saying, "the world needs ditch diggers, too."

    I respect anyone who earns an honest living. I think most people feel that way.

    Having a trade lends itself to high self-esteem. I think that's why the Hispanic American outperform black Americans by such a large margin; they aren't relying on being the next LeBron or Pdiddy. Most Hispanics take tremendous pride in the value of work, family, and self-reliance. In many cases, they're Republicans and don't know it.
    That was a nice swipe, but unfortunately that's not a trait exclusive to Republicans.

    I respect anyone who earns an honest living as well, but I also acknowledge the fact that education needs to prepare American students for the 'age of innovation' (there's probably a better term) that's replaced the age of industrialization that our system was built on. We are falling behind the rest of the world and that will not only challenge our credibility with our allies but also our dominance in science, engineering, computer science and other areas that, if say the Chinese become great at, we're screwed. I understand the argument for vocational schools, but I don't see why that can't be accompanied with improving schools that already exist since we haven't really tried that.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •