Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 150

Thread: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think Oscar's right to a certain degree. The amount of money put into a school system isn't necessarily correlated with the quality of the education.
    It's a factor. There are numerous studies about the affect of funding on education. No one has claimed that funding is the only issue. In fact, many of us have said that many factors go into it: funding is one of them...which why a lot of poor kids have outdated text books and no money for after school activities and rich kids rarely face that problem.

    People also have to remember that funding in one state is not the same as it is in others.

  2. #112
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    funding should be equal, across the board, with the exception of certain types a special education needs or possibly some socila needs. we all know this is a many pronged problem, the parents, the lack of good teachers in poor areas, and in some cases, yes, the lack of funding. the last problem is the kids and the environments they live in.
    I disagree, I've been there and seen them. the first problem is the kids and the environments they live in. until you change their attitudes towards getting a good education, all the funding and fancy schools and smarty teachers in the world won't help.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #113
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    77,844

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Lowering the standards purdy much says that minorities are too stupid to meet the basic requirements.

  4. #114
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Lowering the standards purdy much says that minorities are too stupid to meet the basic requirements.
    Which is not the right behavior to be rewarding. It doesn't say the people are too stupid it just says our educational system continues to fail, parent continue to fail, and those who can do the job or have the ability don't want to, whether that's due to the enviornment or maybe they don't believe it's worth saving or protecting.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #115
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    77,844

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Which is not the right behavior to be rewarding. It doesn't say the people are too stupid it just says our educational system continues to fail, parent continue to fail, and those who can do the job or have the ability don't want to, whether that's due to the enviornment or maybe they don't believe it's worth saving or protecting.
    I don't agree. This is the same as financial welfare. It exists, because of the preconceived notion, by some, that minorities can't make it on their own and need to have help.

  6. #116
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,785

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Yet more evidence that this administration's Eric Holder is a bigot.

    The purpose of testing is to identify those qualified to do the job. It should not be set aside when not enough people of Eric Holder's race are shown to be qualified.

    Here's what should be done if some feel minorities are insufficiently represented on their police forces: They should demand to know why the teachers unions are failing to educate their children so they can pass those tests and get those jobs, and what teachers are going to be fired to improve the quality of education for their children.
    LOL... you had to throw in unions

    I am a little confused by the article. When I read it, it sounds like the dept is having trouble finding people to replace retiring officers.. so there is a shortage...

    It sounded to me that people can't pass the test and qualify so that's why they are lowering standards, but then the article says it to hire more blacks?

    It is really messed up...

  7. #117
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't agree. This is the same as financial welfare. It exists, because of the preconceived notion, by some, that minorities can't make it on their own and need to have help.
    I agree to a point, but I think we have to look at the locations where this is happening. It could be that those who can won't --- if that's at least partly the case, why won't they? Is the pay too low, rewards too low or is it not worth doing in those towns/cities? I'm looking beyond the DoJ lowing the standards... the standards were already low to begin with. Is it really because education and dependency on government handouts is causing people in these areas to become as stupid as Idiocracy portrays or is it just not worth doing and/or there's something else going on that we don't know about?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Lowering the standards purdy much says that minorities are too stupid to meet the basic requirements.
    It says they're less educated, which, as a population, they are.

  9. #119
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    77,844

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I agree to a point, but I think we have to look at the locations where this is happening. It could be that those who can won't --- if that's at least partly the case, why won't they? Is the pay too low, rewards too low or is it not worth doing in those towns/cities? I'm looking beyond the DoJ lowing the standards... the standards were already low to begin with. Is it really because education and dependency on government handouts is causing people in these areas to become as stupid as Idiocracy portrays or is it just not worth doing and/or there's something else going on that we don't know about?
    That's highly possible. Are there any booms going on in Ohio, right now?

  10. #120
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    77,844

    Re: Dayton Police Department Ordered to Lower Standards to Hire More Blacks

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It says they're less educated, which, as a population, they are.
    Purdy much what I just said, because minority kids go to the same schools and are taught by the same teachers that white kids are. Thanks for agreeing with my assessment.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •