Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #921
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    So you think it's not fair, and since it's not fair, SSM shouldn't be unlawful.
    No, I think its unconstitutional discrimination against a group with middle tier protection under the EPC, and therefore its unlawful.

    Right, women can marry men and vice versa.
    Right, women can marry men...but men can't marry men...thus allowing women to do something a man can't do under the law and vise versa.

    What if the law said that every race can marry anyone of a race that isn't their own, and then said its perfectly acceptable under the EPC because "White person X can marry anyone that's not his race, and Black Person Y can marry anyone that's not his race, so its exactly the same". Or how about "Religious people can marry religious people and Athiests may marry athiests, but they can't marry across that line and its perfectly okay because they both are able to marry the opposite religious preference".

    Then I would imagine someone at sometime would have challenged them and brought them to the supreme court to decide.
    It simply hasn't reached the Supreme Court yet. There have been cases already in the lower courts that have ruled its an issue of Gender under the EPC. That said, simply because something hasn't reached the SCOTUS yet doesn't prove constitutionality.

  2. #922
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I don't think anyone getting married has to do with love.
    I disagree with this because I beleive that many people have learned to consider marriage the ultimate cvulmination of a loving relationship.

    I agree that it is not a requirement, and that this inclusion of love in the equation is an arbitrary one, though.

  3. #923
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I disagree with this because I beleive that many people have learned to consider marriage the ultimate cvulmination of a loving relationship.

    I agree that it is not a requirement, and that this inclusion of love in the equation is an arbitrary one, though.
    True enough to a point, and in some ways I agree. Then again, the marriage doesn't increase their love or change their love or anything else. It simply places a new title on their love for society, and perhaps themselves. It may be an act to SHOW ones love for another person, I would not deny that, and an act that people engage in due to their love of someone. But ultimately, the act itself is partaken for societal benefits, be in your own views of society or how society views you, and lifestyle benefits, such as the fiscal advantages. Its not done "for love" because for it to be done for love it'd need to have some tangible effect on the love two people have prior to marriage and after. The reason society and individuals within it tends to see it as the ultimately culmination of a loving relationship is because society has bestowed labels upon romantic relationships with "married" being the culminating term, and thus there is a desire by people to profess or prove their love through the gaining of that term. There's no tangible benefit to "love" two people have for each other from marriage, simply the benefits that the title and status gives (which, in part, can be feeling as if you've engaged in the ultimate presentation of your love).

    So perhaps I didn't explain myself fully. I'm not saying Love can not be a component for what drives someone to want to get married, but even then that drive typically is due to the non-love related benefits it gives and not due to any actual need to do it with regards to their "love".

  4. #924
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, I think its unconstitutional discrimination against a group with middle tier protection under the EPC, and therefore its unlawful.
    Please show what "middle tier protection" is, and show where it specifies what groups are specifically protected by it.

    It simply hasn't reached the Supreme Court yet. There have been cases already in the lower courts that have ruled its an issue of Gender under the EPC. That said, simply because something hasn't reached the SCOTUS yet doesn't prove constitutionality.
    And doesn't say doodoo about it being unconstitutional either.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #925
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Please show what "middle tier protection" is, and show where it specifies what groups are specifically protected by it.
    Levels of Scrutiny Under the Equal Protection Clause
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  6. #926
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    So, you agree that homosexuals do not fall under the "middle tier"? Zyphlin, you should thank him for doing your work.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #927
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    So, you agree that homosexuals do not fall under the "middle tier"? Zyphlin, you should thank him for doing your work.
    What?
    2. MIDDLE-TIER SCRUTINY
    1. Gender
    2. Illegitimacy

    One sex can do something the other can't. Of course it is gender discrimination.


    SSM isn't only about homosexuals. They are the only ones who would want to (I assume), but that doesn't change the fact that no one has the right (except in a few states) to marry a person of the same gender.
    Males can marry females. Females can't. How is that not gender discrimination?
    Last edited by iamitter; 03-22-11 at 10:52 PM.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  8. #928
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post


    Wow!

    So homosexuals don't love eachother at all?

    And they all want to do it JUST for the benefit right?

    Well if we're going to talk about costing tax payers a fortune, lets get rid of marriage benefits all together.

    I mean honestly.

    Only heterosexuals get married for love.

    Look at this happy couple:


    Pulling the love card does not work. Pedophilles may love the child they are molesting and an Incestuous father may love the daughter hes molesting...LOVE doesnt make abnormal, normal get it right.
    No matter what any niceynices people try to portray homosexuality with its ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR period. If it were normal two men and two women having sex would be able to pro create..
    Everyone should attend in person a gay paraded in San Francisco and NYC so they can see firsthand just how abnormal and sickening homosexuality is....do whatever you want in public but do not try and tell me its normal and you deserve the same rights to marriage and benefits as a man and a woman...What homosexuals deserve is the same rights as any other single male and female american

  9. #929
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,314
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    [QUOTE=lpast;1059365962]Pulling the love card does not work. Pedophilles may love the child they are molesting and an Incestuous father may love the daughter hes molesting...LOVE doesnt make abnormal, normal get it right.[\QUOTE]

    Straw man.

    I did not imply love makes anything normal.

    But even mentioning pedophiles in this thread is a fallacy.

    A child cannot consent.

    Try again.

    No matter what any niceynices people try to portray homosexuality with its ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR period. If it were normal two men and two women having sex would be able to pro create..
    Everyone should attend in person a gay paraded in San Francisco and NYC so they can see firsthand just how abnormal and sickening homosexuality is....do whatever you want in public but do not try and tell me its normal and you deserve the same rights to marriage and benefits as a man and a woman...What homosexuals deserve is the same rights as any other single male and female american
    Your own prejudices are yours. I cant help you here.

  10. #930
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Pulling the love card does not work. Pedophilles may love the child they are molesting and an Incestuous father may love the daughter hes molesting...LOVE doesnt make abnormal, normal get it right.
    No matter what any niceynices people try to portray homosexuality with its ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR period. If it were normal two men and two women having sex would be able to pro create..
    Everyone should attend in person a gay paraded in San Francisco and NYC so they can see firsthand just how abnormal and sickening homosexuality is....do whatever you want in public but do not try and tell me its normal and you deserve the same rights to marriage and benefits as a man and a woman...What homosexuals deserve is the same rights as any other single male and female american
    This implies children are equal to adults in reasoning, which is false. You might as well make the argument that black people shouldn't be allowed to vote because children can't.

    The oppression of a minority by a majority does not make the minority inherently wrong and the majority inherently right.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •