Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #751
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, that's not what's going on here CC. You asked me of I though heterosexuality was a learned behavior. What I said was I think it could be and if it were, these are the things that would probably affect it.
    Hmmm... doesn't seem that way. But if heterosexuality could be a learned behavior for several reasons, those reasons would have the same impact on homosexuality. You still haven't shown a distinction, with the exception of procreation... which is a completely separate issue and does not apply, and anatomy, which is related to a sexual act, not the orientation... and therefore does not apply.



    . Listen, most discussions of sexual intercourse from a clinical perspective, outside the homo/hetero context will tell you this. Why does it not apply in this context?
    Because you use the word "design" as an absolute. I am challenging you on the absolute.



    The biological component is procreation+anatomy.
    And I have already demonstrated how neither of these things apply.



    I didn't say it is exclusive to homosexuals. What I said was that is was dangerous, and it seems less natural as a primary method of sexual activity than vaginal intercourse. To me That could be a reason to lean toward heterosexuality.
    mac... again, we are talking about behavior, behavior that can be done by anyone in any context. You cannot make a direct correlation, here, which is why this part of your argument doesn't apply.



    I don't think you do understand, to be honest, but thank you for being gracious.
    No, I'm pretty sure I do. I've read nearly every post you've made on this topic in this and the other thread. When you discuss that your objections to homosexuality are moral/religious, I have no argument with you. In fact, I have a lot of respect for you saying that. But when you attempt to present that or other aspects of the argument in a logical sense, though I understand what you are doing, not only do I disagee, but I can demonstrate how/why you are wrong. If I were you, I'd stick to the moral/religious position.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #752
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    I am amazed every time a thread on Gay rights or anything Gay comes up because the interest never seems to lighten up.

    By now it has to be obvious to everyone that neither side is ever going to give an inch and all possible arguments have been said and re-said a thousand times, making this either the perfect example of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. In other words crazy.

    Or somewhere out there is a very crowed bunch of closets.

  3. #753
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Hmmm... doesn't seem that way. But if heterosexuality could be a learned behavior for several reasons, those reasons would have the same impact on homosexuality. You still haven't shown a distinction, with the exception of procreation... which is a completely separate issue and does not apply, and anatomy, which is related to a sexual act, not the orientation... and therefore does not apply.
    Well, the funny thing is that I don't really believe that heterosexuality is a learned behavior. I believe it to be the outcome of the normal course of a humans development. I believe the opposite to be true with homosexuality. I believe it to be a choice, perhaps sub-conscious, made possible by various learned personality traits.

    [quote[Because you use the word "design" as an absolute. I am challenging you on the absolute.[/quote]

    Regardless, in the course of it's normal operation, the vagina accommodates the penis. The same cannot be true of the Anus. Ignore the biological/anatomical truth of that all you like.

    And I have already demonstrated how neither of these things apply.
    I don't think you have, at best you've out argued me. The rules of debate are not rules of life though.

    mac... again, we are talking about behavior, behavior that can be done by anyone in any context. You cannot make a direct correlation, here, which is why this part of your argument doesn't apply.
    We are talking about the natures of behaviors commonly conducted by persons of a certain orientation. How those behaviors affect affinity with an orientation, I believe, very much do affect the development of the orientation.

    No, I'm pretty sure I do. I've read nearly every post you've made on this topic in this and the other thread. When you discuss that your objections to homosexuality are moral/religious, I have no argument with you. In fact, I have a lot of respect for you saying that. But when you attempt to present that or other aspects of the argument in a logical sense, though I understand what you are doing, not only do I disagee, but I can demonstrate how/why you are wrong. If I were you, I'd stick to the moral/religious position.
    I disagree that you do. I think you are used to arguing the issue with folks that believe "God Said No", and have no further argument. Well, part of my argument is God said no, a significant part, I'll concede. I take that and look at homosexuality from as open a perspective as I can manage, and look at the available evidence surrounding the issue. The things I have said make perfect sense to me, although applying the arguments to heterosexuality is new for me. I'm exploring that, I hadn't approached the issue from that direction. Nevertheless, everything available (including available studies) indicates to me that Heterosexuality is natural, and homosexuality is unnatural. Another difference between me and many you may have argued with is that I don't think this alone makes people good or bad. As far as I'm concerned, there are ten sins, and a few variants. Though shalt not cornhole your neighbor is not on the list. That means it's a rule, not a sin. I've broken a few rules myself.

    I've begun to ramble so I'll try to sum up....being gay doesn't make you someone I fear, dislike, distrust, abhor, etc, etc. I believe everyone has the right to do whatever they like to each other in privacy, even if it is immoral/illegal/weird. I also believe that wanting to do those things doesn't necessarily put you in a group deserving the right of marriage. Just because a few folks want something to be accepted and natural, doesn't make it accepted and natural.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #754
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    By now it has to be obvious to everyone that neither side is ever going to give an inch and all possible arguments have been said and re-said a thousand times, making this either the perfect example of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. In other words crazy.
    Not only that, but people have been posting that exact same observation on this forum for years before you joined. Additionally, folks have been pointing it out, like I just did, for just as long.

    Welcome to the cycle

  5. #755
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I am amazed every time a thread on Gay rights or anything Gay comes up because the interest never seems to lighten up.

    By now it has to be obvious to everyone that neither side is ever going to give an inch and all possible arguments have been said and re-said a thousand times, making this either the perfect example of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. In other words crazy.

    Or somewhere out there is a very crowed bunch of closets.
    It's worth pointing out that we don't generally expect a different result. Those of us who've been here for a while pretty much know what's going to happen just by reading the thread title.

    Folks like myself are looking for new ways to look at the issue, which necessarily requires us to rehash old material with every new comer who thinks they have a fresh take; when in fact they don't.

    Also, we're not always looking for the same result in every thread, nor does the same result, out of a menu of predicable results, always occur. In one thread I might be looking just to shut the OP down, while engaging a couple other posted and perhaps trolling 1 or 2 without getting points. In another thread, I might simply be lazy or drunk and I'm just ****ing around. Still another thread may have some new law leading to an interesting discussion of legal theory.

    Debate rarely changes anyone's mind, whether you're a participant or in the audience, and so we don't expect it to. You're correct in assuming I'm not likely to ever see the condition which will change my mind, because that condition is when SSM is primarily about the family, which isn't going to happen. I'm not big into identity politics and so by default I'm not a big supporter of SSM.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-17-11 at 08:08 PM.

  6. #756
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Debate rarely changes anyone's mind, whether you're a participant or in the audience.
    This fact saddens me, as debate has changed my mind on a few topics several times (prime examples being abortion, assisted suicide and gun rights) and I feel that both sides of an argument are better for it, as long as the debate is done properly.

    I think the bigger issue is that so few people have a comprehensive understanding as to how debate should properly work and give it little value.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  7. #757
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    This fact saddens me, as debate has changed my mind on a few topics several times (prime examples being abortion, assisted suicide and gun rights) and I feel that both sides of an argument are better for it, as long as the debate is done properly.

    I think the bigger issue is that so few people have a comprehensive understanding as to how debate should properly work and give it little value.
    More-so, few people even care to have a comprehensive understanding, of any topic. They just want to go on with their lives.

  8. #758
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    The Constitution is silent when it comes to things like marriage. It doesn't go pro or con and leaves it up to the states. The Equal Rights Amendment was something that would have forced gay marriage to be legal Constitutionally. The amendment made it illegal to discriminate between men and women and that everyone of every gender should be equal. However, opponents brought up valid points that under the amendment it would be unconstitutional to ban men in women's bathrooms and visa versa. It would also force women to sign up for the selective service because it would be unequal for men to be the only ones that have to. If that amendment had passed then yes, gay marriage would be Constitutionally legal (as it would make it illegal to prevent a woman from being defined as a husband and a male being allowed to be defined as a wife). I agree that homosexuals should be allowed to enter into their own marriage contracts with each other, however the Constitution doesn't force it, it's silent regarding the issue. The amendment that would have forced it to be discrimination failed to be ratified.
    You are failing to include the SCOTUS's levels of scrutiny within this argument. The SCOTUS has said that it is not that the 14th means that everyone has to be treated the same in every instance, just that when they are treated differently by the government there has to be reasons why they are being treated differently that are varying levels of the government's interest and within the interest of the people.

    Levels of Scrutiny Under the Equal Protection Clause

    And, although the Constitution does not mention marriage specifically, it did state in the ninth that rights did not necessarily have to be mentioned in the Constitution to be considered rights, since it would have been exhausting and next to impossible for the writers to do this. They went with those rights that they felt were most important and set up the SCOTUS to decide on the rest. The Equal Protection clause of the 14th went further to ensure that people were treated equally and fairly by both the federal government and state governments. It is the court's responsibility to balance whose right is more important in cases where rights conflict or might be viewed as conflicting, including SSM. And the SCOTUS has ruled at least twice now that marriage is a right. With those rulings, that means that state's must have some state interest (should be an important interest since the discrimination involves sex/gender, but should at least show that it is rationally related to serving a legitimate state interest) in denying a marriage contract to two men or two women. So far, no argument for anti-SSM has provided a rational relationship between denying SSM and a legitimate state interest. ALL the arguments fail in one way or another to show how denying SSM actually serves a legitimate state interest and fail big time when it comes to showing how it could possibly serve an important state interest.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 03-17-11 at 09:36 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #759
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well it's not conservatives either, so I guess that means no one's really doing that.
    Absolutely it is....so-called conservatives speak out of both sides of their mouth...they advocate for small government and yet they seek for huge government involvement into the most intimate details of people's lives.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #760
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Way to leave out Muslims
    I was actually going to include them/the Koran, but I was just like...too lazy.

Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •