Page 67 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #661
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It's not my intent. I disagree with SSM, and I disagree that being homosexual puts you in a catagory granting equal access to marraige. All that being said, I obviously don't see it as oppression.
    I don't care if it's not your "intent" your view of SSM is oppressive to LGBT people, even if you don't want to admit it, you know it's true deep down. Like I said, it's on your conscience.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #662
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The thing is....the rules of debate don't form peoples opinions.

    People don't need to provide squat. I will continue to read these studies for as long as I have access to them, and when one come out saying "Homosexuals are born homosexual." My view will change. What won't change my view, a view formed by my upbringing, my religion, my understanding of nature, my understanding of human anatomy, and a few other things, is a study or studies that say "Homosexuals may be born homosexual." I don't really give a rats ass if you follow that logic or feel that there is no logic there. Just know when(if) the study comes out you'll have one more guy in your corner. Until then, it's opinion vs my opinion.
    Exactly what does the biological origins of homosexuality have to do with same sex marriage? If homosexuality were a learned behavior, then exactly how would that make it anymore right or wrong? And why do you assume that you would ever accept a scientific journal that did say it was innate? If a scientific journal argued that people are born as pedophiles would that change your opinion on pedophilia or allowing adults to marry 8 year olds? You honestly would accept such a journal article?

    Are you seeing at all why this position you are putting forth seems utterly ludicrous to us all? No it isn't logical in the least. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is an irrational opinion and therefore inferior to a rational one.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 03-16-11 at 01:52 AM.

  3. #663
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Do you deny that you have repeatedly and frequently stereotyped me?
    I called you a conformist and I was proven correct. Even though the term is technically correct in describing you, you do not like it because you believe I use it as an insult. However, a conformist is someone who adheres to a religous doctrine. That is what you do, and you do it quite proudly, insisting that only absolute scientific evidence that disproves a Biblical God's undefined thoughts could call into question your faith.

  4. #664
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I don't care if it's not your "intent" your view of SSM is oppressive to LGBT people, even if you don't want to admit it, you know it's true deep down. Like I said, it's on your conscience.
    I don't know that, the behavior is not legitimately deserving of specific rights....
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #665
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I don't know that, the behavior is not legitimately deserving of specific rights....
    The behavior may not, but how about the people who practice it?

    Traditional marriage is sexual discrimination. A man can marry a woman but not another man. A woman can marry a man but not another woman. As such, each gender has a right that the other gender does not have.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 03-16-11 at 01:55 AM.

  6. #666
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Exactly what does the biological origins of homosexuality have to do with same sex marriage?
    If I type slowly will it help? I disagree with SSM because I don't think that being homosexual makes you deserving of specific rights, this is because I view homosexuality as a choice. If homosexuality were proven to not be a choice I would reverse this opinion.

    If homosexuality were a learned behavior, then exactly how would that make it anymore right or wrong? And why do you assume that you would ever accept a scientific journal that did say it was innate? If a scientific journal argued that people are born as pedophiles would that change your opinion on pedophilia or allowing adults to marry 8 year olds? You honestly would accept such a journal article?
    If homosexuality is a learned behavior (completely or primarily unconsciously learned) and it was scientifically proven, then I would reverse my decision. If either of these were to be true, I would see denial of marriage as a punishment, and I would disagree with that.

    Are you seeing at all why this position you are putting forth seems utterly ludicrous to us all? No it isn't logical in the least. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is an irrational opinion and therefore inferior to a rational one.
    Yes, because I value things you don't value. That thing that I value has weight for me that it doesn't have for you. You're view that it is illogical is based on the fact that a piece of my puzzle doesn't make sense to you. You're assumption that my opinion is inferior to your opinion is pure arrogance, and nothing more.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #667
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The behavior may not, but how about the people who practice it?
    They are entitled to follow the law like the rest of us. Marriage is between a man and a woman....in most places.

    Traditional marriage is sexual discrimination. A man can marry a woman but not another man. A woman can marry a man but not another woman. As such, each gender has a right that the other gender does not have.
    There's a move afoot to get both Chimps and Dolphins legally categorized as persons. Would you support interspecies marriage assuming that they were legally declared persons?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #668
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If I type slowly will it help? I disagree with SSM because I don't think that being homosexual makes you deserving of specific rights, this is because I view homosexuality as a choice. If homosexuality were proven to not be a choice I would reverse this opinion.
    Do you see heterosexuality as a choice? Why or why not?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #669
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If I type slowly will it help? I disagree with SSM because I don't think that being homosexual makes you deserving of specific rights, this is because I view homosexuality as a choice. If homosexuality were proven to not be a choice I would reverse this opinion.
    If homosexuality were a choice, then why shouldn't two people of the same sex be allowed to marry? In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether someone chooses to be gay or is born gay. I think everyone is entitled to marry the person they love. Why shouldn't people have that choice if homosexuality were a choice?

    Yes, because I value things you don't value. That thing that I value has weight for me that it doesn't have for you. You're view that it is illogical is based on the fact that a piece of my puzzle doesn't make sense to you.
    What do you value that I don't value?

    You're assumption that my opinion is inferior to your opinion is pure arrogance, and nothing more.
    In a world where logic does not matter, then it would be arrogance. But we do live in a logical world with logical rules.

  10. #670
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    They are entitled to follow the law like the rest of us. Marriage is between a man and a woman....in most places.
    Actually, I could go get married anywhere in the United States. There is no law keeping me going to a gay friendly church and getting married by a pastor. The only thing I'm prohibited is the license and the rights attached to it.

    There's a move afoot to get both Chimps and Dolphins legally categorized as persons. Would you support interspecies marriage assuming that they were legally declared persons?
    What does that have to do with sexual discrimination? That sounds like a terrible strawman to me. A man is denied a right that woman has and a woman is denied a right that a man has. That is obvious sexual discrimination.

Page 67 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •