Page 57 of 94 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #561
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I haven't intentionally ignored you...can you rehash it?
    My argument, quoted for convenience:

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    It has been proven that, in certain cases at least, there was a direct correlation between fraternal birth order and homosexuality, meaning that in these cases, sexuality was determined in-vitro. Again, I point you to fraternal birth order.

    Link

    Direct quote:
    The fraternal birth order effect is the strongest known predictor of sexual orientation. According to several studies, each older brother increases a man's odds of developing a homosexual orientation by 28–48%.

    Bogaert (2006) replicated the fraternal birth order effect on male sexual orientation, in a sample including both biological siblings and adopted siblings. Only the older biological brothers influenced sexual orientation; there was no effect of adopted siblings. Bogaert concluded that his finding strongly suggest a prenatal origin to the fraternal birth-order effect.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  2. #562
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    In a democracy, the majority rules. Our whole system of goverment of based on religion. Our founding fathers were very religious.
    Ah, but our government is not a democratic government. It is a Republic government. And no, not all of our founding fathers were "very religious". Some were agnostic.


    Edit note: I should have read the previous page fully before posting this as other people said the same thing...only better. My bad. :P
    Last edited by Kal'Stang; 03-15-11 at 06:12 AM.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #563
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Is it just me or is Mac and religion getting a smack down in this thread? More so than normal that is....
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #564
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    In this case the equal protection clause comes into play. imho.
    I agree it would seem to. But the states can group individuals, and if it were that simple....it would have been done by now.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #565
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as to say our Founding Fathers weren't all that religious (they were all individuals, some were, some weren't, some supported the doctrine of secular government but still believed in the value of Christian ideals)
    The deist claim is just revisonism. The great majority of the founding fathers were very much Christian and are on record stating that.

    But clearly our Constitution had more to do with Lockean classical liberalism and the Roman Republic than anything else.
    I agree completely. This doesn't negate the influence of religious beliefs, specifically Christian, on our government and laws. I'm not in anyway trying to claim our government is a Theocracy or should be, but the truth is the truth.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #566
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    My argument, quoted for convenience:
    Everything I've read about fraternal birth order previously cites the influence of older brothers outside the womb. That would make it learned. This study claiming it to be prenatal influence is a one off, and appears to have some inconsistencies with it's methods.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #567
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Is it just me or is Mac and religion getting a smack down in this thread? More so than normal that is....
    I'm out-numbered, here, for sure. And religion seems to be getting the majority of attention in this thread.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #568
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.
    That's cute.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #569
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Because it's unnecessary at this point. It's definitely something I counsel on a personal level though.
    By excluding the lifelong aspect, you are erdifing marriage away from it's traditional definition. Doing so invalidates your argument against a subsequent redefinition.

  10. #570
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Everything I've read about fraternal birth order previously cites the influence of older brothers outside the womb. That would make it learned. This study claiming it to be prenatal influence is a one off, and appears to have some inconsistencies with it's methods.
    There is no evidence to support that notion, that is your own personal attempt to assimilate the information so that you don't have to accommodate your religious beliefs to the evidence. That is why it is ridiculous to provide you any scientific evidence. You will simply make up your own personal interpretation of what the evidence means so that you don't have to change your religious beliefs. As such, you are infinitely more skeptical about the innateness of homosexuality than of the fallibility of the Bible. There isn't even any sense for you to be on a debate forum, because every debate is going to end, "my religious beliefs say" and given that you hold your religious beliefs as infallible and will simply treat any scientific evidence that are contrary to them as subject to interpretation the only thing you can accomplish here is further entrenching yourself in your already preconceived beliefs.

    Hence why it is completely pointless to debate conformists like yourself. You even refuse to provide an explanation of why "choice" is even a factor in whether homosexuality is right or wrong, which makes it clear to me that you aren't even completely aware of why you believe everything you believe.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 03-15-11 at 11:44 AM.

Page 57 of 94 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •