Page 46 of 94 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #451
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That's not how it works, you have to present a compelling case to the supreme court or vote in people that will make your laws.

    It does actually, since marriage is defined as between a man and a woman. No law is being applied unequally.
    It depends on where you get your definition.

  2. #452
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Why? It's already not allowed...I'm not trying to change anything.



    Well, if there were a right for homosexuals to marry, and it was being denied you, then you're rights would be violated. Since SSM is not a right, you're rights are not being violated.
    Many percieve marriage as a right. As such it should apply to everyone equally. SSM = Same sex MARRIAGE. Note the word "marriage" in SSM? By makeing the distinction of SSM being different than heterosexual marriage then you have to give valid reasons as to why the two are different. And those valid reasons must be compelling reasons as to keep SSM seperate from heterosexual marriage. Being of the same gender is NOT a valid reason as that is sexual discrimination...which IS against the law.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #453
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Many percieve marriage as a right. As such it should apply to everyone equally. SSM = Same sex MARRIAGE. Note the word "marriage" in SSM? By makeing the distinction of SSM being different than heterosexual marriage then you have to give valid reasons as to why the two are different. And those valid reasons must be compelling reasons as to keep SSM seperate from heterosexual marriage. Being of the same gender is NOT a valid reason as that is sexual discrimination...which IS against the law.
    What's the M mean again?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #454
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    We have, yet you have yet to provide a compelling case to keep said law. You can't hide the fact that your position isn't based in logic by saying this.
    Really, so it's now legal? Why are we having this discussion then?

    And we are saying that having marriage as only one man, and one woman is a violation of equal protection, no new rights are created.
    Well, you are wrong.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #455
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    What's the M mean again?
    Our constitution/bill of rights is based on specific morals chosen by the authors. None of these morals includes Christian ideas of "sex" or the Christian idea of "marriage" The constitution enables citizens to define words however they want provided that they do not threaten the morals of freedom, equality and probably some other than don't include Christian 'sex' and 'marriage'.

  6. #456
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    What that says is Congress can't make a state religion or ban a religion from being practiced.
    By keeping gay marriage illegal, some people lose their ability to freely practice their religion.

    Just because gay marriage is against the rules in your religion doesn't mean it is against the rules in all religions.

  7. #457
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Our constitution/bill of rights is based on specific morals chosen by the authors. None of these morals includes Christian ideas of "sex" or the Christian idea of "marriage" The constitution enables citizens to define words however they want provided that they do not threaten the morals of freedom, equality and probably some other than don't include Christian 'sex' and 'marriage'.
    Correction....provides states and citizens that right. Most states define marriage as between a man and a woman.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #458
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    By keeping gay marriage illegal, some people lose their ability to freely practice their religion.
    Is animal sacrifice and polygamy allowed for reasons of religious freedom?

    Just because gay marriage is against the rules in your religion doesn't mean it is against the rules in all religions.
    M'kay. What religion embraces SSM?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #459
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post

    M'kay. What religion embraces SSM?
    Certain sects of Christianity to name one.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #460
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Certain sects of Christianity to name one.
    Which ones?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 46 of 94 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •