Page 42 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #411
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    You do realize the absurdity of citing a lack of evidence as proof of a deity's existence, right?
    Where did I ask anyone to prove God does or doesn't exist? What I said was that I need there to be scientific evidence concerning homosexuality to overcome my religious belief on the issue. Without it there is no more reason to believe your theory than mine.

    By presenting a theory that by its very definition cannot be disproved and then demanding others to disprove it, you're attempting to shift the burden of proof with an argumentum ad ignorantiam.
    That's not what I am doing. I'm asking that my religious beliefs on this particular issue be steadfastly countered. As you point out, I can't prove that God exists, and so I can't prove what he says is right. If something can be proven that scientifically contradicts my religion, than I will believe the science, not ignore it in favor of the religion.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #412
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Equality is about people/taxpayers, not religion.
    In some ways, in others not. Very few things are as cut and dry as you like to think.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #413
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    As you point out, I can't prove that God exists, and so I can't prove what he says is right. If something can be proven that scientifically contradicts my religion, than I will believe the science, not ignore it in favor of the religion.
    The Bible does not say why homosexuality is wrong, only that it is wrong. Nobody can disprove why the God in the Bible thinks homosexuality is wrong if nobody knows exactly why the God in the Bible thinks that homosexuality is wrong.

  4. #414
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'm asking that my religious beliefs on this particular issue be steadfastly countered. As you point out, I can't prove that God exists, and so I can't prove what he says is right. If something can be proven that scientifically contradicts my religion, than I will believe the science, not ignore it in favor of the religion.
    Then what exactly is your religion's statement that would need to be contradicted scientifically?
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  5. #415
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I don't think so, due to the religious difference.
    Why should your religious view have an impact on law and not mine? This is precisely the reason why our laws aren't based on religion. Your argument holds no validity.


    am not.
    No, your wrong, if there was a public vote on such issues it would have been shot down.


    no more so than your argument is "because I said so"
    That's not my argument, you just wish that was my argument, when in reality that is your argument. The irony here is amazing.

    Whatev
    You can't counter what I say, or defeat it logically so you dismiss it, noted.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #416
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    In some ways, in others not. Very few things are as cut and dry as you like to think.
    It's not cut and dry for people who would like to legislate morality. It is cut and dry for taxpaying citizens who are considered equal to all others under their constitution.

  7. #417
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The Bible does not say why homosexuality is wrong, only that it is wrong. Nobody can disprove why the God in the Bible thinks homosexuality is wrong if nobody knows exactly why the God in the Bible thinks that homosexuality is wrong.
    I don't think God would make people homosexual then tell them not to be. Free will is one thing, but that would just be cruel.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #418
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's not cut and dry for people who would like to legislate morality. It is cut and dry for taxpaying citizens who are considered equal to all others under their constitution.
    Rape, murder, theft...all morality.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #419
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Why should your religious view have an impact on law and not mine? This is precisely the reason why our laws aren't based on religion. Your argument holds no validity.
    Because mine is in majority, laws are definitely based on religion and morality.

    No, your wrong, if there was a public vote on such issues it would have been shot down.
    Perhaps, maybe not.

    That's not my argument, you just wish that was my argument, when in reality that is your argument. The irony here is amazing.
    The Irony here, is that I was implying that it was NOT your argument, but you got defensive anyway. Proof that you're only interested in opposing anything I say rather then trying to understand it.

    You can't counter what I say, or defeat it logically so you dismiss it, noted.
    Why would you think I would try to counter "That ain't good enough."? That's you're opinion...you're entitled to it.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #420
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Then what exactly is your religion's statement that would need to be contradicted scientifically?
    It's not that simple.

    Like I've said several times now, any conclusive proof that people are born homosexual or learn to be homosexual through no choice of their own.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 42 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •