Page 41 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #401
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    But you do not require absolute proof in order to hold and promote your view of morality. This is a hypocritical stance.
    It doesn't end there. The hidden hypocrisy is that mac views marriage as a religious institution and he is a divorcee.

  2. #402
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It doesn't end there. The hidden hypocrisy is that mac views marriage as a religious institution and he is a divorcee.
    Actually, whether or not divorce is immoral religiously speaking would depend on whether or not his wife was unfaithful in their marriage, which is none of our business, really.

    An argument can be made, though, that remarriage is always adulterous and immoral, regardless of infidelity in the previous marraige.

    But that's not a universal belief.

  3. #403
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It doesn't end there. The hidden hypocrisy is that mac views marriage as a religious institution and he is a divorcee.
    imo, marriage is and should be a religious institution. any marriage not blessed by a church is a civil union, whatever we may choose to call it. therefore, gays should be allowed civil unions just as heterosexuals are. chrusches don't have to perform any ceremony they don't want to perform, just as it is now. anyone who objects to THIS, imo, is bigoted.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #404
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Actually, whether or not divorce is immoral religiously speaking would depend on whether or not his wife was unfaithful in their marriage, which is none of our business, really.

    An argument can be made, though, that remarriage is always adulterous and immoral, regardless of infidelity in the previous marraige.

    But that's not a universal belief.
    I'm pretty sure he said he is on his second marriage.

  5. #405
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I'm pretty sure he said he is on his second marriage.
    well, catholics like annulment. wipes the slate, you know. easy peasy.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #406
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You want scientific evidence disproving your religous beliefs?
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Yes.
    You do realize the absurdity of citing a lack of evidence as proof of a deity's existence, right? By presenting a theory that by its very definition cannot be disproved and then demanding others to disprove it, you're attempting to shift the burden of proof with an argumentum ad ignorantiam.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  7. #407
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    You do realize the absurdity of citing a lack of evidence as proof of a deity's existence, right? By presenting a theory that by its very definition cannot be disproved and then demanding others to disprove it, you're attempting to shift the burden of proof with an argumentum ad ignorantiam.
    At this point he has used appeals to normality, appeals to nature, appeals to tradition, appeals to the majority, appeals to faith, etc. to argue his point. He doesn't do basic logic.

  8. #408
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    At this point he has used appeals to normality, appeals to nature, appeals to tradition, appeals to the majority, appeals to faith, etc. to argue his point. He doesn't do basic logic.
    Well, duh.

    At this point it's about half me brushing up on my debating skills and half curiosity as to how he will justify obvious illogical arguments.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  9. #409
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Having marriage for straight couples, and civil unions for LGBT couples is redundant, and is unconstitutional, you know separate but equal.
    I don't think so, due to the religious difference.

    You are wrong.
    am not.

    So your whole argument against denying people equality under law is because society wants too?
    no more so than your argument is "because I said so"

    Like I said, that isn't good enough.
    Whatev
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #410
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I don't think so, due to the religious difference.
    Equality is about people/taxpayers, not religion.

Page 41 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •