Page 40 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #391
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But we are apart of society, why shouldn't the law represent us as well?
    It should, that's why I support civil unions.

    But the majority of people didn't approve, it was against societies wishes.
    I disagree.

    That's not good enough.
    Tell society.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #392
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It should, that's why I support civil unions.

    I disagree.

    Tell society.
    A majority in our society say that same sex relationships are acceptable. Do you agree?

  3. #393
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The converse would seem to be true as well. You are not free from such pre-disposition yourself.
    I have said as much, but not as clearly. Yes, I am pre-disposed to accept certain facts as well, overcoming that is not often easy to do.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #394
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's actually a fair objection. Supposed to implies that there is a rational purpose to something, instead of a purely biological purpose.

    In a biological sense, milk exists for the sole purpose of feeding mammalian young. Is that better?
    Better, though I still don't like it. Female mammals making milk that could be fed to young was evelutionarily advantageous and so was passed on. "Purpose" implies something that is not actually the case.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #395
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It should, that's why I support civil unions.
    Having marriage for straight couples, and civil unions for LGBT couples is redundant, and is unconstitutional, you know separate but equal.



    I disagree.
    You are wrong.

    Tell society.
    So your whole argument against denying people equality under law is because society wants too?

    Like I said, that isn't good enough.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #396
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It should, that's why I support civil unions.
    1. Civil unions make gays/bisexuals second class citizens by saying that certain taxpayers are more worthy of marriage than others.
    2. What are the consequences to you personally if you support gay marriage, in this life and the afterlife?

  7. #397
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    A majority in our society say that same sex relationships are acceptable. Do you agree?
    It depends on who you ask, my generation is overwhelming in favor of LGBT rights, it's only a matter of time. Hopefully sooner than later.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #398
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Because that's not all I believe. I also believe in science.
    I falt-out disagree with this. You are not basing any of your views on science. You would have, at most, an agnostic view regarding whether or not homosexuality is natural if you were takign a scientific view. your views are distinctly unscientific becaus ehtey are all based on faith.


    There is nothing illogical about anything I've said.
    None of the arguemtns you have presented are valid logic. They are all, universally, illogical.

    Absolutely, what I would need is absolute proof to change my view of morality.
    But you do not require absolute proof in order to hold and promote your view of morality. This is a hypocritical stance.

    I'm not trying to do that though. That is not my goal.
    Then stiwhy are you debating?


    That doesn't make them illogical, at best it makes them dishonest to the individual.
    I didn't say that it was what made them illogical (the plethora of logical fallacies in them is what makes them illogical). The fact that the person is always startign form tehir conclusion and working backwords is what leads them tofall prey to these logical fallacies.

    That's not how I feel. My views are based on how I was raised, my religion, and my research.

    How you were raised was influenced by your religion and your research is clouded by the beliefs that you hold due to you religion. Otehrwise, you wouldn't be taking such unscientific stances.

    Also, I do care if it's normal or natural. That would affect my belief.
    I disagree. If you really cared, you would have an open mind about it, instead of making faith-based claims and then defending them without evidence supportign them.

    My argument doesn't need your approval
    Whether or not your arguments are honest has nothing to do with my approval.

    Now, you may feel that I do not have competency in determining honest arguments, and there's nothing wrong with qeustioning my competency in theis regard, but I'm not the only person who notices these things. It's entirely possible that I am correct in my assesment of your argument and that your rejection of my assesment is folly. Idon' twant you to just trust me on it, though. Test it. you want to think scientifically, then put your beliefs to t ehtest.

    Step back and legitimately question your assumptions about things. Don't start from your conclusion and work backwards. Write out the logical syllogisms you employ and then see if 2 + 2 really equals 4 in your arguments. Test them for falalcies.

    If I'm wrong, all that'll happen is that you come away with an even stronger position.

    And if I'm right, all that will happen is that you come away with an even stronger position.

    It's win/win for you.

  9. #399
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    1. Civil unions make gays/bisexuals second class citizens by saying that certain taxpayers are more worthy of marriage than others.
    2. What are the consequences to you personally if you support gay marriage, in this life and the afterlife?
    Why the word 'marriage' matters

    Call a spade a spade. It's just a ****ing word. No point in having something that is marriage in all but name only.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #400
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Better, though I still don't like it. Female mammals making milk that could be fed to young was evelutionarily advantageous and so was passed on. "Purpose" implies something that is not actually the case.
    I said "Biological purpose", though. That doesn't imply something that is not the case.

Page 40 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •