Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #361
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    My answer to that is two fold, First and most importantly because I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and that it is a religious institution. Secondly, because it opposes the societal norms concerning marriage.

    I understand that an opposite sex couple can get a "secular" marriage now and for that reason, personally, I support civil unions that provide all the benefits of marriage and would vote for such legislation.
    Those who are not religious can still be married. Would you argue that they must attain civil unions and should not be allowed to be "married"?
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  2. #362
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    By your own definition, shown above, for something to be "natural" to our species, it must serve a function.

    Male nipples serve no function within our species. Therefore, by your previously stated definition, they are unnatural.
    Addressed that previously.

    And homosexuality can be explained scientifically to a certain degree (check out fraternal birth order, a well documented phenomenon regarding the establishment of homosexual identity in-utero.)

    But that was not your argument. Now your arguments are changing...
    It's been theorized to be caused by a great many things. I'll need more than theories, though, to counter my beliefs.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #363
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It's been theorized to be caused by a great many things. I'll need more than theories, though, to counter my beliefs.
    Yeah, because your intutive acceptance of a religous doctrine is based on so much more than a theory.

  4. #364
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Those who are not religious can still be married. Would you argue that they must attain civil unions and should not be allowed to be "married"?
    No, that's why there are JOPs and Notaries that can perform marriage.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #365
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    My answer to that is two fold, First and most importantly because I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and that it is a religious institution. Secondly, because it opposes the societal norms concerning marriage.

    I understand that an opposite sex couple can get a "secular" marriage now and for that reason, personally, I support civil unions that provide all the benefits of marriage and would vote for such legislation.
    First off, we are not talking about a religious institution we are talking about a legal institution, I could go out, and get married by a church tomorrow, and there is nothing you can do to "protect the religious sanctity of marriage", unless you want to deny religious freedom. Also why is opposite sex marriage being a "societally norm" as you call it, cause for denying SSM. What harm does SSM cause to OSM, and the people in OSM? Surely you can see the harm LGBT people are being caused by denying SSM.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #366
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Yeah, because your intutive acceptance of a religous doctrine is based on so much more than a theory.
    That doesn't matter, I believe it.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #367
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, that's why there are JOPs and Notaries that can perform marriage.
    So why not let same sex couples get married by JOPs and Notaries?

  8. #368
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That doesn't matter, I believe it.
    Of course you do. You are willing to treat other people and families as second class citizens based on your intutive acceptance of a religous doctrine. And you wonder why people might find you confrontational.

    And why do you find the term "conformist" to be offensive?

  9. #369
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    First off, we are not talking about a religious institution we are talking about a legal institution, I could go out, and get married by a church tomorrow, and there is nothing you can do to "protect the religious sanctity of marriage", unless you want to deny religious freedom.
    Then why don't you?

    Also why is opposite sex marriage being a "societally norm" as you call it, cause for denying SSM.
    Society must be made to feel that their wishes and wants have value. If they do not, you see large scale unrest. Like we saw in the US in 60s.

    What harm does SSM cause to OSM, and the people in OSM? Surely you can see the harm LGBT people are being caused by denying SSM.
    I don't know that it does any real and imminent harm, that's why my opposition would be easily reversed with scientific evidence. More religious, conservative, people than myself won't be as easily swayed.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #370
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Of course you do. You are willing to treat other people and families as second class citizens based on your intutive acceptance of a religous doctrine. And you wonder why people might find you confrontational.

    And why do you find the term "conformist" to be offensive?
    Lol, you're not confrontational?

    I find it offensive because you mean it to be. You are being insulting.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •