Page 36 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #351
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You are saying that I am so biased towards homosexuality that I would accept a study that isn't valid. That is attacking me, and I have said nothing about you like that.
    Just as you've said I ignore information to the contrary. There's no difference.

    But anyways, what justifications would you accept for homosexual behavior?
    I would accept anything fact based. Such as genetic proof that humans are born homosexual, or even scientific proof that it's a learned behavior outside the control of the person. This would have to be fact based, peer reviewed science though. Not a study that says "it could be" which to date, they all do.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #352
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You have proof already. Have a nice day.
    No, I do not. Toodles.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #353
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    mac, you create a lot of vitriol. Looking at the last few responses I can't believe you want to blame me for it.
    By having a differing opinion? I'm not calling you names or pigeonholing you into ideologies. I'm not judging your worth as a person. These are the things you've done in nearly every post you've made towards me.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #354
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Just as you've said I ignore information to the contrary. There's no difference.



    I would accept anything fact based. Such as genetic proof that humans are born homosexual, or even scientific proof that it's a learned behavior outside the control of the person. This would have to be fact based, peer reviewed science though. Not a study that says "it could be" which to date, they all do.
    But what does this have to do with law? We pay taxes, nothing we do is illegal, why shouldn't I be able to get married, even if it was a choice?
    Last edited by Your Star; 03-14-11 at 04:14 PM.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #355
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    my purpose is to prove my own stance on it wrong.
    Let's examine your stance. You have a logical fallacy where you appeal to normality and claim that because homosexuality is only a part of 8% of the population it must be wrong. You have a logical fallacy of appealing to nature where you argue that homosexuality doesn't occur in enough species or with enough "justification" to be considered natural and thus it is wrong. You have a logical fallacy of appeal to tradition where you argue that because historically it has fallen in and out of popularity that is it wrong.

    So what does that leave? Your religion. Which you openly admit that someone has to prove wrong in order to change your stance on homosexuality! It all comes down to mac's religion!

    And how skeptical are you of your religion? From what I can tell, you are a typical conformist. You accept it on intution as absolute. And of course, nobody can reason someone out of a belief that they were never reasoned into believing in the first place.

    So we could have saved a lot of time had you just accepted that you are a conformist and not gone through making all these logical fallacies and pretending like you aren't predisposed to seeing the issue through the lens of your religious indoctrination.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 03-14-11 at 04:11 PM.

  6. #356
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    By having a differing opinion? I'm not calling you names or pigeonholing you into ideologies. I'm not judging your worth as a person. These are the things you've done in nearly every post you've made towards me.
    You just want to deny him the ability to get married to the person he wants. Your whole position on SSM brings confrontation.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #357
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    By having a differing opinion? I'm not calling you names or pigeonholing you into ideologies. I'm not judging your worth as a person. These are the things you've done in nearly every post you've made towards me.
    Dude, you want to deny rights to same sex families simply because you intuitively accept a religious doctrine as absolute and expects others to do the same. That is confrontational.

  8. #358
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But what does this have to do with law? We pay taxes, nothing we do is illegal, why should I be able to get married, even if it was a choice?
    My answer to that is two fold, First and most importantly because I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and that it is a religious institution. Secondly, because it opposes the societal norms concerning marriage.

    I understand that an opposite sex couple can get a "secular" marriage now and for that reason, personally, I support civil unions that provide all the benefits of marriage and would vote for such legislation.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #359
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Homosexuality doesn't serve any benefit to our species. In my view, if homosexuality were natural, our bodies would accommodate it and it would serve a function in our species.
    By your own definition, shown above, for something to be "natural" to our species, it must serve a function.

    Male nipples serve no function within our species. Therefore, by your previously stated definition, they are unnatural.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, we all start out females and become males in the womb. The nipples are hold overs.
    And homosexuality can be explained scientifically to a certain degree (check out fraternal birth order, a well documented phenomenon regarding the establishment of homosexual identity in-utero.)

    But that was not your argument. Now your arguments are changing...
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  10. #360
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I understand that an opposite sex couple can get a "secular" marriage now and for that reason, personally, I support civil unions that provide all the benefits of marriage and would vote for such legislation.
    Why would you vote for such thing when you consider homosexuality to be abnormal, unnatural, and immoral?

Page 36 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •