Page 29 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #281
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I tried searching for it.

    I'm not sure why I'm a liar. I didn't see any definition of natural that you had provided.
    Because you said something that wasn't true. You said it out of ignorance rather than willful dishonesty, but it's still a lie.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #282
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'd say the opposite is true.
    It occurs in nature. Numerous species have been observed engaging in homosexual behavior.

    You could say the opposite, but you are wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Because you said something that wasn't true. You said it out of ignorance rather than willful dishonesty, but it's still a lie.
    No, that's not what a lie is. Being wrong is not the same thing as lying.
    Last edited by Deuce; 03-14-11 at 03:01 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #283
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Pretty much. So then what is your argument, mac, that it isn't "normal"?
    It isn't normal simply in that such a small percentage of our species is homosexual. My argument is that it isn't natural, combine that with my upbringing, my religion, and thousands of years of human history, and you find my opposition.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #284
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'd say the opposite is true.
    Wait, really?

    Homosexual behavior in animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    One animal worth looking at is the Bonobo, an ape known for its common bisexuality and routine orgies.

    Bonobo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  5. #285
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It occurs in nature. Numerous species have been observed engaging in homosexual behavior.
    Appeal to nature, doesn't work...mainly because you don't know why they engage in behaviors that appear to be homosexual

    You could say the opposite, but you are wrong.
    Prove me wrong.

    No, that's not what a lie is. Being wrong is not the same thing as lying.
    Saying something that isn't true is lying. Not only that, but slander in this case.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #286
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Natural: of or occurring in nature, developing or growing without undue influence, and including natural deviation serving evolutionarily plausible purposes while happening in the ordinary or usual course of things, without the intervention of accident, violence, enlightenment, etc.
    You used natural in your definition of natural?

    Let's see. Homosexuality occurs in nature. It happens in many different cultures without the influence of other cultures. There are many theories of how homosexuality was a part of human evolution.

    I gotta say I find your definition funny though. Evolution doesn't follow a "purpose", evolution is the slow change over generations as organisms adapt to their environment. The purpose part reveals that you are a teleologist as I previously suggested you were.

    Ordinary or usual course of things? Without the intervention of accident, violence, enlightenment? That is just weird.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 03-14-11 at 03:09 PM.

  7. #287
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Oh, well then, using that definition homosexuality is most definitely natural. Thanks for the info.
    I would say that that definition certainly doesn't exclude homosexuality from being natural because it is plausible that homosexuality serves some evolutionary purpose.

    It does provide a solid argument that whether or not something is considered normal has nothing to do with it being natural or unnatural considering how a plethora of things are considered normal that are unnatural by that definition. Also, there are countless things that are considered abnormal that are definitely natural according to that definition. Eating dogs, for example, is quite natural while being considered abnormal in western culture.

  8. #288
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Wait, really?

    Homosexual behavior in animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    One animal worth looking at is the Bonobo, an ape known for its common bisexuality and routine orgies.

    Bonobo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Clearly they were given gay pills by the gay agenda. Outside influence!!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #289
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Because you said something that wasn't true. You said it out of ignorance rather than willful dishonesty, but it's still a lie.
    I said I couldn't see that you provided a definition of natural. You proved me wrong, but I certainly did not lie.

  10. #290
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It isn't normal simply in that such a small percentage of our species is homosexual. My argument is that it isn't natural, combine that with my upbringing, my religion, and thousands of years of human history, and you find my opposition.
    But your defintiion doesn't support your claim that it is unnatural. At best, you can only say that whether or not it is natural is unknown using that definition.

Page 29 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •