Page 25 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #241
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    and food. Every single bit of that animal is food.
    And humans are food as well. Every single bit of us is food.


    Then what's the point of continually pointing out what was once abnormal can become normal, it can just as easily remain abnormal?

    We all concede that morality shifts...
    First, we're not talking about morality, we're talking about normal/abnormal.

    The point of showing that normalacy shifts is to show the inehrent lack of logic and irrational nature of "normal" arguments.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 03-14-11 at 02:24 PM.

  2. #242
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    There are a lot of taboos placed on sex by our species. Because homosexuality has historically, with few exceptions, been taboo it has become ingrained into our morality as an immoral act.
    Whether homosexuality is a norm or a taboo throughout most of history I think is a matter of debate, and in the end each society or civilization had its own views on the matter. Certain societies historically have socially approved of certain forms of homosexuality (i.e. pederasty in ancient Greece). I also think the diffusion and spread of two of the world's major religions (Christianity and Islam) have much to do with the traditional negative views toward homosexuality.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #243
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    WHAT? How so?
    Because I did not say that.

    It was a strawman you created because it's easier for you to dishonestly battle that strawman than it is for you to actually rebut the arguements I do present.

  4. #244
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And humans are food as well. Every single bit of us is food.
    We are food for whom?

    First, we're not talking about morality, we're talking about normal/abnormal.

    The point of showing that normalacy shifts is to show the inehrent lack of logic and irrational nature of "normal" arguments.
    We are talking about morality. The morality behind what is normal and abnormal concerning homosexuality. You are attempting to show that because something has once been abnormal and is now normal that there is no defense of thinking something to be abnormal.

    It was once normal in our society to get married and start a family at the age of 13....not only is that not normal now, it is taboo. See, it can go the other way too.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #245
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Because I did not say that.
    You did say that, or at least implied it.

    It was a strawman you created because it's easier for you to dishonestly battle that strawman than it is for you to actually rebut the arguements I do present.
    That's a lie. And now I'm done with you. I actually thought you wanted to discuss the issue rather than pour out more vitriol.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #246
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Will mac figure out that normalcy has nothing to do with morality? Stay tuned.

  7. #247
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Good god, get a room you two.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  8. #248
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Whether homosexuality is a norm or a taboo throughout most of history I think is a matter of debate, and in the end each society or civilization had its own views on the matter. Certain societies historically have socially approved of certain forms of homosexuality (i.e. pederasty in ancient Greece). I also think the diffusion and spread of two of the world's major religions (Christianity and Islam) have much to do with the traditional negative views toward homosexuality.
    I agree, I ask you though, if it was once so completely accepted as it seems to have been in Greece....how was it able to be so stigmatized?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #249
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Good god, get a room you two.
    There's so much attitude in this thread, I can't even function. But I like watching...

  10. #250
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I agree, I ask you though, if it was once so completely accepted as it seems to have been in Greece....how was it able to be so stigmatized?
    I mentioned this already, but I think the global dominance of Christianity and Islam (and I don't know about Islam, but we all know about the passages in both the Old and New Testaments that supposedly condemn homosexuality) definitely have a lot to do with it.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 25 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •