Page 17 of 94 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 939

Thread: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

  1. #161
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You've gone with the mathematical definition of the "normal/deviant" dichotomy. So, you will agree that both lefthandedness and being Jewish in the US is deviant, correct?
    Yes, I agree, so long as you are not implying any negative connotation in the use of the word deviant.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #162
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Actually, Morality has EVERYTHING to do with logic, since it is moral reasoning that provides the basis for such.

    Moral Reasoning (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
    That doesn't mean the opposite is true.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #163
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Law may have been formed with the influence of religion and morality, but it can certainly exist and be maintained without them.
    I disagree completely and I challenge you to show me how the rule of law can be maintained while ignoring morality and religion.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #164
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I disagree completely and I challenge you to show me how the rule of law can be maintained while ignoring morality and religion.
    Do you think you can have morality without religion?
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  5. #165
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    So are you really trying to say that you can't have laws without religion? There is no reason for religion to have anything to do with laws in a nation that is secular. Religion has little if any place within our laws because the moment we place religion into our laws, you open up the possibility that a single religious viewpoint could force others by law to not be allowed to practice or you use religion alone to deny rights to others. Rights should only be denied to others when they actually will cause some quantifiable harm (tangible is not the right word, although I know I used it earlier).
    No, what I'm saying is that it has been theorized that they are intermingled to form a society's code of conduct. They mesh together, so to speak. Laws are based on morality which is heavily influenced by religion (including opposition to religion).
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #166
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Do you think you can have morality without religion?
    I think you can have a form of morality that profess not to rely on religion, but at this point it would be impossible to prove until religion is vanquished from collective memory. But even so, endeavoring to create law irrespective of religion cause the law to be affected by religion.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #167
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I think you can have a form of morality that profess not to rely on religion, but at this point it would be impossible to prove until religion is vanquished from collective memory. But even so, endeavoring to create law irrespective of religion cause the law to be affected by religion.
    Your definition makes law be affected by everything, in effect giving nothing precedence.
    Endeavoring to create law irrespective of x makes it be affected by x.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I disagree completely and I challenge you to show me how the rule of law can be maintained while ignoring morality and religion.
    I choose not to steal, punch or otherwise disobey the law because 1) Empathy 2) Reason 3) Fear of law 4) Desire to contribute to society.

    1. It becomes much more difficult to hurt another person when you force yourself to empathize with them. If you develop this habit in children instead of developing the habit of feeling guilty about not living up to morality, this will become a huge guide for their behavior, one that is tied to their own minds and emotions (i.e. undeniable) and much more difficult to ignore than external moral principles (which rely on faith rather than knowledge).

    2. Reason - If I hit or kill that person I do so under the assumption that they deserve it or are less than me. However, there is no evidence of that other than my opinion and because opinions are unproven hypotheses, hurting that person would make no sense.

    If we instill a habit in children that encourages them to think about the nature and superiority of themselves and their beliefs rather than instilling a set of morals by which to judge and condemn others, then they will realize that the reasons they have for hurting others are ridiculous at their foundation and develop understanding rather than condemnation, or at the very least, become too tired by the end of the thought to do anything.

    3. Fear of the law. It already exists and I don't want to go to jail.

    4. Contribute to society. I grew up in a family and school system that made me want to contribute to society not only for society's sake, but also because I like the idea of having an impact - really that idea alone is enough to stop me from breaking the law.

    Moreover, in many low-income neighborhoods, religion and morality are an even bigger part of society and everyday life than in many wealthy areas (if you go to the Austin area of the West Side of Chicago, a predominately low-income area, there are churches on every corner...there are also drug dealers on every other corner). Lack of obedience to the law is more tied to levels of poverty than it is to the absence of religion/morality.

    5. Atheists who were raised in atheist households obey the law all the time because of things within them that they motivate them to do so. One of my good friends is an atheist raised in an atheist household is one of the kindest, most genuine people and by behavioral standards, very 'moral'. She was also an RA in college.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 03-13-11 at 11:52 PM.

  9. #169
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, what I'm saying is that it has been theorized that they are intermingled to form a society's code of conduct. They mesh together, so to speak. Laws are based on morality which is heavily influenced by religion (including opposition to religion).
    Morality is simply good or bad conduct. Laws attempt to restrict conduct. Religion is a doctrine that seeks to establish a universal guideline of good and bad conduct.

  10. #170
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Maryland Gay Marriage Bill sent back to cmte. Shelved for this year at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Your definition makes law be affected by everything, in effect giving nothing precedence.
    Endeavoring to create law irrespective of x makes it be affected by x.
    It's not my definition...it's Plato's, backed up by his posse.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 17 of 94 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •