Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 334

Thread: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Ah true my mistake. You're entirely correct playdrive. forgot about that. But there's still an unsubtle difference between having a military presence and occupation/oppression.
    I agree with you. The problem is al-Qaeda frames military presence as the same thing as occupation and oppression. Even if bin Laden himself does not really care about the difference, many of his recruits do. An rough analogy would be the way some white Americans feel about the growing presence of illegal immigrants/Mexicans in the U.S.. There increase in numbers is obviously not a take over of America and its values. Nevertheless, many people vehemently argue that it is.

    The presence of a culture that appears diametrically opposed to their conservative, Islamic values and that also appears to have a good enough relationship with their government to have a lasting impact is a threat to their culture and ideology. The way I see it, even if the difference is palpable, it only matters (in this particular argument) how terrorists/recruits see the military presence.

  2. #112
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,868

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    Anyone who doesn't want more clarity and information has an agenda and therefore no objectivity. There is no debate when objectivity is absent.
    ironic coming from someone who makes statements like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    Any Muslim's opinion of the United States is irrelevant. I am so tired of everyone tiptoeing around these kooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    If you are a Muslim and you have an opinion about the U.S., said opinion is irrelevant. Is that clearer?
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  3. #113
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I agree with you. The problem is al-Qaeda frames military presence as the same thing as occupation and oppression. Even if bin Laden himself does not really care about the difference, many of his recruits do. An rough analogy would be the way some white Americans feel about the growing presence of illegal immigrants/Mexicans in the U.S.. There increase in numbers is obviously not a take over of America and its values. Nevertheless, many people vehemently argue that it is.

    The presence of a culture that appears diametrically opposed to their conservative, Islamic values and that also appears to have a good enough relationship with their government to have a lasting impact is a threat to their culture and ideology. The way I see it, even if the difference is palpable, it only matters (in this particular argument) how terrorists/recruits see the military presence.
    I agree. It's part of their propaganda narrative. However in my mind the million dollar question is how these guys are so easily brainwashed into thinking that the West is the root of all their problems.

  4. #114
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Terrorists think they've welcomed the devil to their door really. Hence they kill cooperating muslims =\.

    If you think that this sort of simplistic thinking about the reasons behind attacking the western cultures is the only reason, then I have news for you.

    Radical Islam is on a mission of caliphate across the world, either by population overtaking, or by death and destruction their goals are the same. rule the world, and make it submit to Islam, or kill those who don't.

    Those who blame our presence on SA land during, and after the first Gulf War, should at least be smart enough to see that using this as a reason for attack is an excuse, nothing more.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #115
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If you think that this sort of simplistic thinking about the reasons behind attacking the western cultures is the only reason, then I have news for you.

    Radical Islam is on a mission of caliphate across the world, either by population overtaking, or by death and destruction their goals are the same. rule the world, and make it submit to Islam, or kill those who don't.

    Those who blame our presence on SA land during, and after the first Gulf War, should at least be smart enough to see that using this as a reason for attack is an excuse, nothing more.


    j-mac
    I think there's a difference between radical Islam's rhetoric regarding establishing a global caliphate, and reality. It's kind of like Hamas's charter in which they say they want to dismantle Israel as a state. They might say they want to destroy Israel but realistically they know they don't have the capability to do so. Likewise, the radical Islamists might pay lip service to such rhetoric regarding a global caliphate, but in reality they might have more realistic objectives (not sure what those are though).

  6. #116
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I agree. It's part of their propaganda narrative. However in my mind the million dollar question is how these guys are so easily brainwashed into thinking that the West is the root of all their problems.
    I've thought about that to and it's obviously impossible for either one of to reach know, but I always assume it works by the same mechanism that makes some racists/white supremacists think that blacks and Jews are the root of their economic problems.

    If you're living in the Middle East and you grow up with a sense of loyalty to the region, population and Islam then the idea that another foreign power, whose military may have killed your relatives or friends, is still on your land may be enough to tip you over. What I've always found interesting about suicide terrorists (al-Qaeda in particular) is that most/many of them are well-educated, have good income and show no signs of mental disorder. We tend to think of extremists as uneducated and poor, but these guys aren't - I can't wrap my head around that.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Radical Islam is on a mission of caliphate across the world, either by population overtaking, or by death and destruction their goals are the same. rule the world, and make it submit to Islam, or kill those who don't.
    All I got is rolly eyes for you, dude.

    Just rolly eyes.

  8. #118
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I've thought about that to and it's obviously impossible for either one of to reach know, but I always assume it works by the same mechanism that makes some racists/white supremacists think that blacks and Jews are the root of their economic problems.

    If you're living in the Middle East and you grow up with a sense of loyalty to the region, population and Islam then the idea that another foreign power, whose military may have killed your relatives or friends, is still on your land may be enough to tip you over. What I've always found interesting about suicide terrorists (al-Qaeda in particular) is that most/many of them are well-educated, have good income and show no signs of mental disorder. We tend to think of extremists as uneducated and poor, but these guys aren't - I can't wrap my head around that.
    I totally agree and I've thought the same about this. I've been wrestling with the same questions. Clearly education and intelligence/moral reasoning aren't quite the same thing.

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If you think that this sort of simplistic thinking about the reasons behind attacking the western cultures is the only reason, then I have news for you.

    Radical Islam is on a mission of caliphate across the world, either by population overtaking, or by death and destruction their goals are the same. rule the world, and make it submit to Islam, or kill those who don't.

    Those who blame our presence on SA land during, and after the first Gulf War, should at least be smart enough to see that using this as a reason for attack is an excuse, nothing more.


    j-mac
    I agree with StillBallin on this one. They claim this in many of their videos and perhaps in their ideal world everyone would be a Muslim like many Christians' ideal world would be all Christians. It's similar to how the Aryan Brotherhood claims to operate on a basis of white superiority and working against all other races. However, the Aryan Brotherhood has worked with Mexican gangs in the drug trade and other aspects. At the end of the day, in spite of their words, the bottom line for them is money. Similarly, a lot of evidence based on thorough studies of al-Qaeda shows that their bottom line is getting the U.S. off of their land.

  10. #120
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Muslim 'radicalization' hearing a success, say Rep. Peter King, Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    They would if Christians had flown planes into buildings in NYC.
    No, they wouldn't. But apparently Deuce's comment flew completely over your head. Also, the people who flew jets in the WTC are DEAD!!!


Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •