Page 81 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 1973

Thread: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights withou

  1. #801
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,226

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Glad you feel that way! Then I'm sure you won't mind if the tax cuts for the wealthy have to be taken to the chopping block during our budget cuts.
    The Dems were so busy trying to **** the rich folks last year, that they let a payroll tax break expire and raise payroll taxes on millions of working folks and businesses.

    All I got to say to that is,


  2. #802
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post

    Actually, a budget also includes revenues, and ideally, in a budget, revenues will match expenditures... no wonder why so many are failing at the budgeting processes... there are TWO SIDES to it...
    except that one of those sides is much more responsive. for every dollar you cut, you get a dollar of cuts. for every dollar you try to increase revenues..... you are not guaranteed anything like that. it is questionable at this point whether we could raise anything significant in extra taxes. in the meantime, spending is exploding; if you were to simply take the Clinton budgets and expand them every year with inflation, we would have a balanced budget this year. what we have is a spending problem, not a taxing one.

  3. #803
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    except that one of those sides is much more responsive. for every dollar you cut, you get a dollar of cuts. for every dollar you try to increase revenues..... you are not guaranteed anything like that. it is questionable at this point whether we could raise anything significant in extra taxes. in the meantime, spending is exploding; if you were to simply take the Clinton budgets and expand them every year with inflation, we would have a balanced budget this year. what we have is a spending problem, not a taxing one.
    No disagreement. Just pointing out that there are two sides to the budgeting equation...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #804
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,633

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Attempting to unionize in retail has always failed, retail is the type of business that has too much turnover to make a union worth it.
    If that is true - and I am NOT saying it is - but if that is true, why would Wal Mart fight so hard to the point of closing profitable stores rather than allow a union? If you are right, this factor would doom the union regardless.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #805
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,633

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    except that one of those sides is much more responsive. for every dollar you cut, you get a dollar of cuts. for every dollar you try to increase revenues..... you are not guaranteed anything like that. it is questionable at this point whether we could raise anything significant in extra taxes. in the meantime, spending is exploding; if you were to simply take the Clinton budgets and expand them every year with inflation, we would have a balanced budget this year. what we have is a spending problem, not a taxing one.
    That is not true.

    Just yesterday I attended a legislative briefing at the Detroit Medical Center. We were informed that in the state budget plan for Governor Snyder, they want to cut over $20 million state dollars from the GME program which trains young doctors and does so mainly on the eastern side of our state. These same doctors in training are a disproportional source of care for the poor which MUST BE treated under the law. If Snyder has his way because he believes like you do that a dollar in cut is indeed a dollar saved, he is a fool. With that $20 million in Michigan money comes over $50 million in federal money. That means that Michigan poor people are being helped to the tune of $70 million dollars via a state expenditure of only $20 million. If we give in to your ideology, we cut $20 million for the Michigan budget, lose another $50 million from the feds and are still going to have to find a way to deliver that same $70 million worth of medical care to the poor and indigent because it is law.

    It could well end up costing the State more than the theoretical savings.

    The same is true of the state earned income tax credit for the working poor. Snyder wants to cut that also. In the district I work for, that would take over $5 million dollars from the pockets of the working poor. Many would then simply go on more expensive welfare programs costing the state even more in the long run. I am at home for the weekend and do not have the figures in front of me but I will be glad to put them up on Tuesday when I get back to the capitol. The figure I remember reading was something under $500 in tax credits for the poor while putting them on state welfare programs would be much much more expensive.

    So in this case, for every dollar you cut, you may have to spend much more down the road.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #806
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    What we really need is for all Americans regardless of political party to wake up up and take a deep breath of reality our jobs and the future of our economy is under attack from within our politIcal structure. Breaking the unions by attacking collective bargaining will be one more nail in the economic coffin facing our nation. Our job opportunities along with our economy is being shipped overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    I'd start at improving their skills with education and making themselves more employable.
    [HTML]http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/may2010/stud-m28.shtml

    American college graduates find themselves in the harshest economic climate in at least a generation, according to a recently released report by the Economic Policy Institute (EPI). With unemployment levels for new college graduates and non-degreed youth nearly double their 2007 rates, data suggest that a college degree no longer ensures financial stability for graduates in the US.[/HTML]

    [HTML]http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/02/23/us-usa-economy-jobs-poll-idUSTRE61M1OL20100223

    In findings that appear to paint a darker employment picture than official U.S. data, Gallup estimated that about 30 million Americans are underemployed, meaning either jobless or able to find only part-time work.

    Underemployed people spent 36 percent less on household purchases than their fully employed neighbors in January, while six out of 10 were not hopeful about their chances of finding adequate work in the coming month, the poll said.[/HTML]

  7. #807
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That is not true.

    Just yesterday I attended a legislative briefing at the Detroit Medical Center. We were informed that in the state budget plan for Governor Snyder, they want to cut over $20 million state dollars from the GME program which trains young doctors and does so mainly on the eastern side of our state. These same doctors in training are a disproportional source of care for the poor which MUST BE treated under the law. If Snyder has his way because he believes like you do that a dollar in cut is indeed a dollar saved, he is a fool. With that $20 million in Michigan money comes over $50 million in federal money. That means that Michigan poor people are being helped to the tune of $70 million dollars via a state expenditure of only $20 million. If we give in to your ideology, we cut $20 million for the Michigan budget, lose another $50 million from the feds and are still going to have to find a way to deliver that same $70 million worth of medical care to the poor and indigent because it is law.

    It could well end up costing the State more than the theoretical savings.

    The same is true of the state earned income tax credit for the working poor. Snyder wants to cut that also. In the district I work for, that would take over $5 million dollars from the pockets of the working poor. Many would then simply go on more expensive welfare programs costing the state even more in the long run. I am at home for the weekend and do not have the figures in front of me but I will be glad to put them up on Tuesday when I get back to the capitol. The figure I remember reading was something under $500 in tax credits for the poor while putting them on state welfare programs would be much much more expensive.

    So in this case, for every dollar you cut, you may have to spend much more down the road.
    In winger speak, that means they are succeeding in starving the beast. Cutting off state funds means less fed funds as well. WAHOO… in winger land it don’t get any better than that.

    Less medical care=more poor people dying=less future care.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  8. #808
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    If that is true - and I am NOT saying it is - but if that is true, why would Wal Mart fight so hard to the point of closing profitable stores rather than allow a union? If you are right, this factor would doom the union regardless.

    So please explain to us how unizing Wal Mart would keep costs on their products down, and create jobs.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #809
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    In winger speak, that means they are succeeding in starving the beast. Cutting off state funds means less fed funds as well. WAHOO… in winger land it don’t get any better than that.

    Less medical care=more poor people dying=less future care.

    Sounds remarkably close to Sustien, and the guy who wrote the population bomb back in the '70s....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #810
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the right is to keep what you earn-not to be given back what is yours

    those who pay more taxes ought to be given more government privileges or rights
    Wow, what an unbelievably stupid post. That's your idea? Give more rights to rich people? What kind of rights do rich people deserve that lowly poor people don't? It's not enough that they buy politicians, influence laws and get away with tax breaks and cuts they don't deserve. Now they need special rights that average citizens don't deserve. That's real American of you.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •