Page 118 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1973

Thread: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights withou

  1. #1171
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    I’m trying to get to the bottom of this statement that you made to randel in post #962 “ and it kinda morfped into what it is.

    We can clear it up as soon as you quit ducking and bobbing and answer a question or two.
    this thread pertains to public unions. you need to keep the proper context in mind, we shouldn't have to clarify with each post that we are not discussing private unions.

  2. #1172
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    What can be cut to make up for the trillions lost in revenues from the tax cuts for the wealthy that began in 1981?
    -chuckles- First off we need to drag you kicking and screaming if necessary out of the 1980's … you said it enough times, that I think everyone here at dp knows where you think the problem came from. We no longer need to hear what you think caused the problem, as you have used it in every other post.

    I can show you how we could increase revenues by about 200 billion dollars without raising our tax rate even 1% …. and really think it would pass both houses can you show where we could cut spending by half of that, that would pass both houses?

  3. #1173
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    First lets remember we are only talking about public unions not private unions ..

    But for the sake of argument, lets go along with your idea that the public union is not funded by the taxpayer. If that is the case then I guess everyone saying that Walker is trying to destroy the unions, is a complete outright lie.

    It's simple really, seeing Walker only controls the tax dollars generated by the state of Wisconsin, and the public unions are “NOT” funded by taxpayer's dollars, then there can be no possible way for Walker to even try to destroy the union simply because Walker has absolutely no control over the funding of that union.

    You can accuse him of attempting to lower the wages and benefits of Wisconsin state/city workers, but you cannot accuse him of trying to break the union, because if the union “ISN'T” funded by taxpayer's dollars, and it's only taxpayer's dollars that Walker controls. he is powerless to break the union.

    In fact with your reasoning, seeing the union isn't funded by the taxpayer, then Walker could fire every unionized city/state worker, and the union should continue to thrive.
    In my opinion, the only way taxpayer dollars fund the public sector unions that cover teachers in Wisconsin is through the union's wholly-owned insurance company that provides health coverage for 2/3 of teachers in Wisconsin. That mandatory insurance carrier was bargained into union contracts. That's changed now. With the new legislation, there will be competition, and municipalities are confident this will result in significant savings.

    If that particular scheme is what you're talking about, then I would agree with you that unions are partially funded by taxpayer dollars.

    If you are saying that their union dues are taxpayer dollars, then I disagree. Teachers are paid a salary. Once that salary is in their hands, it's their money.

    Oops. Here's the link for information about the union's enforced health plan: http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/117911244.html
    Last edited by MaggieD; 03-16-11 at 10:14 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #1174
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Have you not been paying attention to what has been going on in Wisconsin and other states? The GOP is clearly waging war on the middle class and the workers of America.
    Makes a nice Yankee Doodle sound byte, but I don't agree that's the case. The GOP is trying to get a handle on the cost of their public sector compensation plans. Public sector union membership is around 6% of our population. To say they represent the middle class and the workers of America, while that may be the wet dream of union bosses, is untrue.

    (This is the GOP way....the Democrats' way is to raise taxes 67.5% as they just did in Illinois. Yeah, that serves the middle class and workers of America. Serves them on a platter.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 03-16-11 at 10:18 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #1175
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Michigan legislators have approved a bill authorizing state-appointed emergency financial managers to break union contracts that struggling cities and school districts have with their workers.

    Following up on the state Senate’s passage of the bill last week, the House passed the bill 62-48 on Tuesday, sending the legislation to Republican Gov. Rick Snyder for final approval. Snyder, who asked for the expanded powers for emergency financial managers, is expected to sign the bill into law.

    Supporters say the bill gives the state a way to step into distressed municipalities and schools before they collapse. It also gives emergency financial managers broad authority to end employee union contracts, and to nullify elected boards and councils.

    The bill’s sponsor, Republican Rep. Al Pscholka, said Tuesday that it would give the state the power it needs to dig important institutions out of financial holes. “For years we have allowed cities and schools to be on the verge of bankruptcy without any intervention,” he told Reuters. “When the state finally does arrive, in many cases we find the financial records in disarray and leave emergency managers with very few good options to balance the books.”

    Democrats, meanwhile, consider the bill part of a broader attack on public sector unions and on collective bargaining that has also been the subject of debate in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio and elsewhere.
    Michigan passes 'financial martial law' bill - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

  6. #1176
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    this thread pertains to public unions. you need to keep the proper context in mind, we shouldn't have to clarify with each post that we are not discussing private unions.
    I doubt that Donc still gets it or he is a typical liberal and cannot admit when wrong.

  7. #1177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    wisconsin aint the only place lookin at recalls

    Voters swept Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez out of office by a stunning margin Tuesday, capping a dramatic collapse for a politician who was given increased authority by voters four years ago to clean up much-maligned county government but was ushered out in the largest recall of a local politician in U.S. history.

    The spectacular fall from power comes after two years of missteps, ranging from granting top staffers big pay hikes to construction of a publicly funded stadium for the Florida Marlins to implementation of a property-tax rate increase that outraged an electorate struggling through an ugly recession.

    Voters responded by handing the mayor a humiliating defeat: Nearly nine of every 10 voted to remove Alvarez from office.

    County Commissioner Natacha Seijas was similarly recalled Tuesday in a resounding defeat. For 18 years she represented a district that includes Miami Lakes and Hialeah and was widely regarded as the most powerful politician on the commission.
    In dramatic revolt, Miami-Dade voters fire Mayor Carlos Alvarez over pay hikes, tax increase - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

    90%!

    in miami-dade!

    party on, progressives

  8. #1178
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In my opinion, the only way taxpayer dollars fund the public sector unions that cover teachers in Wisconsin is through the union's wholly-owned insurance company that provides health coverage for 2/3 of teachers in Wisconsin. That mandatory insurance carrier was bargained into union contracts. That's changed now. With the new legislation, there will be competition, and municipalities are confident this will result in significant savings.

    If that particular scheme is what you're talking about, then I would agree with you that unions are partially funded by taxpayer dollars.

    If you are saying that their union dues are taxpayer dollars, then I disagree. Teachers are paid a salary. Once that salary is in their hands, it's their money.

    Oops. Here's the link for information about the union's enforced health plan: More districts now could drop insurance arm of teachers union - JSOnline

    -chuckles- I don't often disagree with your posts, this is one I just happen to. without taxpayer funding, teachers would not have jobs, their employer is basically the taxpayers of Wisconsin, now I might bow out, if teachers were given the choice to belong to that union or not to. But they aren't, if you want to teach at a public school in Wisconsin, you have to be a union member. To be a union member your dues are mandatory, that money that they are paid, comes from the taxpayers of Wisconsin.

  9. #1179
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    -chuckles- I don't often disagree with your posts, this is one I just happen to. without taxpayer funding, teachers would not have jobs, their employer is basically the taxpayers of Wisconsin, now I might bow out, if teachers were given the choice to belong to that union or not to. But they aren't, if you want to teach at a public school in Wisconsin, you have to be a union member. To be a union member your dues are mandatory, that money that they are paid, comes from the taxpayers of Wisconsin.
    So because the money originated from the tax payer and ends up as Union dues eventually, the Unions are funded by the public? We're not considering the change in ownership of the money when it goes from the State to the teacher? I think it's a bit of a childish argument to state that the Unions themselves are funded by taxpayers because someone has to use part of their income and salary to pay dues to a union.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #1180
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So because the money originated from the tax payer and ends up as Union dues eventually, the Unions are funded by the public? We're not considering the change in ownership of the money when it goes from the State to the teacher? I think it's a bit of a childish argument to state that the Unions themselves are funded by taxpayers because someone has to use part of their income and salary to pay dues to a union.
    I cannot believe you and others cannot see the connection. Where do you think the money comes from to fund the unions if not the salaries of the workers, a salary paid for by the taxpayers? Did you ever take a logic's class in school?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •