Page 114 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1973

Thread: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights withou

  1. #1131
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The GOP's agenda: American quality labor at Chinese labor prices.
    Oh, that's just silly. #1 -- I don't think the GOP is working against the American worker. #2 -- It would be counter-productive to do so....in fact, ridiculous to do so...since, for the most part, if Middle Class America can't buy your product, you're going to fail.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #1132
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Still doesn't answer why there has been a steady decline in union membership since 1955.
    It does for me.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #1133
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What exactly is wrong with you? Forced union membership and forced dues! You don't think forcing someone to spend "their" money on union dues isn't telling someone what to do with their money? You just cannot admit you are wrong.
    Aha, now were getting somewhere. Your contention is, that a union contract is forcing someone to pay for something that they receive. Hardly; when a shop/business/whatever, is organized it’s a straight up vote. When Teamsters Local 959, organized the Wasila Alaska police dept, it was a straight up vote of “should Teamster Local 959 represent the 49 officers, dispatchers and administrative support personnel of the Wasila Alaska police dept? No weasel words there.

    As for forced Union dues? It’s odd that you would even ask that. You pay for the service that you receive, thats the good old American way. There are many good reasons to be a member of a union; not the least is you can have a voice that will be heard over grievances that more than likely would have otherwise been summarily dismissed.

    I can understand the reason for a Police or Fire dept wanting to organize,its strange that you don,t. According to your fav site, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the rate of workplace deaths is 52.9 percent higher in states that have open shop laws.

    Of course this factoid also enters into the equation, the average union worker makes $10,400 more per year, for, maybe, $50 dollar a month dues or whatever it is.

    Now that I have answered a couple of questions for you, maybe you will answer mine as well.

    Can you explain what you meant by this statement, from post #893, where you said that public unions live off the taxpayer’s dollars?
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  4. #1134
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It does for me.
    -laughs- okay .. so you have no idea what has caused the decline .. I can live with that

  5. #1135
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The GOP's agenda: American quality labor at Chinese labor prices.
    More like, American quality labor without unions bending taxpayers over a chair with no KY jelly.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #1136
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Now donc, think about what you just asked. Because the answer is basically “yes.” who are those peoples employer? Is it not the city or state they work for? Seeing union dues are taken from a city/state employee's wages, I'm not sure what other way it could be put. I'm not sure where your city/state get the biggest majority of it's money from, but every state/city I have lived in, the money comes from property taxes, state income tax, or various other taxes within that state.

    If that is indeed the case, then one could easily enough say, that public unions are funded by by taxpayer's dollars, as it's taxpayer's dollars that pay the wages of public workers, from which union dues are deducted.



    Where you work are your required to tell you employer what you spend your money on? I would hope we haven’t slipped this far into fascism yet…but with this kinda thinking I’m beginning to worry.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  7. #1137
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Aha, now were getting somewhere. Your contention is, that a union contract is forcing someone to pay for something that they receive. Hardly; when a shop/business/whatever, is organized it’s a straight up vote. When Teamsters Local 959, organized the Wasila Alaska police dept, it was a straight up vote of “should Teamster Local 959 represent the 49 officers, dispatchers and administrative support personnel of the Wasila Alaska police dept? No weasel words there.

    As for forced Union dues? It’s odd that you would even ask that. You pay for the service that you receive, thats the good old American way. There are many good reasons to be a member of a union; not the least is you can have a voice that will be heard over grievances that more than likely would have otherwise been summarily dismissed.

    I can understand the reason for a Police or Fire dept wanting to organize,its strange that you don,t. According to your fav site, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the rate of workplace deaths is 52.9 percent higher in states that have open shop laws.

    Of course this factoid also enters into the equation, the average union worker makes $10,400 more per year, for, maybe, $50 dollar a month dues or whatever it is.

    Now that I have answered a couple of questions for you, maybe you will answer mine as well.

    Can you explain what you meant by this statement, from post #893, where you said that public unions live off the taxpayer’s dollars?
    Donc, stop trolling, you know exactly what I mean, public unions get their money from public employees funded by the taxpayers. I am worried about that liberal education you received.

  8. #1138
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Where you work are your required to tell you employer what you spend your money on? I would hope we haven’t slipped this far into fascism yet…but with this kinda thinking I’m beginning to worry.
    Excuse me? I didn't say one thing about telling anyone anything. I simply said .. that a public union surely can be seen as funded by taxpayers dollars ..now if you can't follow the logic behind that ..... then so be it.

  9. #1139
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Can you explain what you meant by this statement, from post #893, where you said that public unions live off the taxpayer’s dollars?
    That's pretty simple. Public unions live off public union members who only exist when they get paid, and all of their wages get paid by debt (which needs to be later paid off by taxpayers) or directly by the pool of money from taxpayers.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  10. #1140
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Wisconsin Republicans vote to strip public worker collective bargaining rights wi

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    -laughs- okay .. so you have no idea what has caused the decline .. I can live with that
    You asked why I thought unions have declined over the years, and I gave you my opinion here:

    Catawba - I think people forgot how important unions were to improve working conditions and compensation and to provide a balance to corporate influence over government.

    The people of Germany had a similar experience in history. Lets, hope we don't allow the same to happen here. It is why I stand with the workers and their right to bargain collectively.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •