Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 630

Thread: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

  1. #311
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    How exactly is this an argument of rationality versus emotion? Arcadius himself gets this wrong, his view that worse things are happening on a grander scale worldwide is still an emotional response. We don't view genocides through a statisical prism, we relate to the individual stories that must occur within that and are horrrified (emotion) that this was a matter of policy or cultural circumstance where it happened. If we are detached from the individual cases that drive us emotionally we have no logical reason to disagree with systematic offences that may occur through our indifference. I feel a lot of people are misrespresenting this as support of moral deviancy in quite tactless ways but Arcadius' original dismissal of the smaller event in favour of larger ones would in of itself make it impossible to tackle the larger ones. We have no reason to oppose any of this without emotion, which we can only relate on smaller scales (that's what are brains are wired for).

    Otherwise we're Stalin.

  2. #312
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    And this comment proves that you project grand delusions onto every post. What will you prove next?





    .......
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #313
    Advisor Arcadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere far away.
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    390

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You realize that removing all emotion is in and of itself inhuman as well.

    Human beings have emotions. To seperate them out and attempt to remove them is in and of itself attempting to be something other than human. We are not computers, we are not robots, emotions do factor in.

    One can definitely take a step back, view a situation logically, and still express emotion. Wake pointed out how his class tried to look at 9/11 sans emotion...he also pointed out utter disgust and rage was still had after that for the perpetrators.

    That's NOT what you're doing. You're not attempting to remove emotion from your view of what should be done, you're trying to remove emotion completely. The most you give is a cold, heartless, hollow "sympathy" for the victim. While you refuse to allow emotion to enter in, you also act illogical by ignoring that humans by their very nature have a certain amount of emapthy in them and view situations based on that.

    Logically, yes. A girl that's 11 getting raped by 18 men is not as bad as say....an entire race of people being exterminated, or an entire country living in abject poverty, or a village where the women are raped daily. However, also, when you logically look at the context in which people are talking you realize they're speaking in a relatively micro level of crimes against individuals within a developed country rather than a macro version of the world at large. When viewing it that way, a gang rape at that age could be even worse than a grisley murder due to the emotional problems it could subject the woman to for the rest of her life. Its arguably worse than the majority of rape cases that happen to older individuals because the affects of it would be potentially longer lasting and the mind is less developed and more susceptiable to issues.

    If someone in America got fired, had their house burned down, then called and told their daughter was just raped brutally for 2 weeks straight and then killed, their son committed suicide, their wife was divorsing him, and he has aids....you could still, using your twisted version of logic, go "eh, my sympathizes for him...but that's not THAT big of a deal" because hey, there's worse stuf theoritically going on somewhere in the world.

    There's a difference between looking at a situation logically, and looking at it heartlessly. You sit here going on about how logical you THINK you are, while you then take peoples emotional reactions as if they are honest suggestions and not emotional responses to a horrible act in relation to the norm for their existance.

    You say you strive to be logical, I say you're striving to be something other than a human.
    Perhaps I am. Don't think I haven't considered it. But, I still think your failing to see my perspective correctly. I don't think humans should be void of emotion. I'm saying that sometimes someone needs to separate themselves from their emotion and look at things purely with logic. Perhaps I've come to rely on it too much and have become somewhat separate from my humanity. Humans have the ability to ignore empathy and take the most logical course of action. My logical course of action is that I can't get so worked up every time I hear about such an abundant crime. And if I focus on smaller crimes that only effect one small group of people, I become distant from greater societal injustices. I honestly have sympathy for this girl, and I hope she can grow up to have some semblance of a normal life.

    But the thing is, she still has that that life. She's still going to get the psychological help she needs, she most likely has the support of her family, and being an American she still has the ability to overcome this and still live her life to the fullest. I can be disgusted all I want, but the fact is it's already happened, and there's nothing I can do for her. There's no point in getting so emotional about it. We do in fact have the ability to help these people and give them the stability and safety that we enjoy. But instead of trying to do this we're too busy killing brown people and arguing about gay marriage.

    I'm pretty sure I have some sort of Messiah complex, (although I'd say it's not the exact same thing) that's become much more plausible with age, but is still there. And I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to systematically create a better society. I'd have to say I'm nowhere close to coming up with an effective solution, without gaining a ridiculous amount of support. I have in fact realized, that no matter how much they bother me I can't focus on small crimes that only effect a few individuals. I've also realized that one has to prioritize, make sacrifices, and discern things with logic.

    I don't think without emotion. When faced with a dilemma I just always turn to logic over emotion. I have a way of thinking of everything on a global scale, which makes me appear very distant from individuals. But don't think I don't care.

    Anyway, I'm done with this thread.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.~ Ernest Hemingway

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's funny that you admit that you'll discount the message because of the messenger. It just proves that I'm more open to the truth than you are since even when I disagree with someone a lot, I'm willing to read their arguments. After all, it's hard to go through life without picking up some truth along the way.
    You flatter yourself to say you are more open to the truth. All your doing is offering an opinion, and a trite and stale one at that.

    Your opinion is just that, and the truth will often be something quite different. It's not smart to confuse the two.

  5. #315
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You flatter yourself to say you are more open to the truth. All your doing is offering an opinion, and a trite and stale one at that.

    Your opinion is just that, and the truth will often be something quite different. It's not smart to confuse the two.
    I'm not flattering myself. I am open to other people's ideas even when we disagree and I don't stop myself from reading their ideas because I don't like them. If that were the case, I wouldn't have read your comment. ReverendH showed that he rejects ideas that come from people he does not like or agree with.

    As a result, I am more open to the truth - in other words, I am willing to listen to everybody's version of it, particularly since truth is relative to experience and I have not had the experiences of every person on this board.

    Work on your reading comprehension.

  6. #316
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    09-03-17 @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    314

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    For those of you still following the original topic and not distracted by messiah complexes

    Texas Gang Rape of 11-Year-Old Girl; Charges Against 18 Men Spark Racial Tensions - ABC News

  7. #317
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I'm not flattering myself. I am open to other people's ideas even when we disagree and I don't stop myself from reading their ideas because I don't like them. If that were the case, I wouldn't have read your comment. ReverendH showed that he rejects ideas that come from people he does not like or agree with.

    As a result, I am more open to the truth - in other words, I am willing to listen to everybody's version of it, particularly since truth is relative to experience and I have not had the experiences of every person on this board.

    Work on your reading comprehension.
    The good rev is a pretty good judge of character.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #318
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The good rev is a pretty good judge of character.
    Because I'll trust the guy who thinks homosexuals are perverse. Not.

  9. #319
    Advisor Arcadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere far away.
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    390

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    I know I said I was done. But it seems kind of strange that this discussion has become so oriented on my personal philosophies. I don't really understand why everybody cares.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.~ Ernest Hemingway

  10. #320
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    For those of you still following the original topic and not distracted by messiah complexes

    Texas Gang Rape of 11-Year-Old Girl; Charges Against 18 Men Spark Racial Tensions - ABC News
    I wondered about that. So, the perps were black, and the victim wasn't, thus bringing up the issue of race.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •