Page 31 of 63 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 630

Thread: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

  1. #301
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius View Post
    But I'm not trolling, at all, this is just how I think. I've entertained that I most likely have some sort of psychological disorder. I don't think i'm superior. I just think people are refusing to look at things from my perspective. I'm not saying my perspective is better, it just gives a certain insight that yours does not.
    I tried looking at it from your perspective but I'm not flexible enough to get my head up my....never mind.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius View Post
    No I'd say I worded it incorrectly. Which gave a much different impression than the one I was going for.
    If you can't express yourself clearly then perhaps it's because you haven't really thought the issue through sufficiently and just gave a half-hearted stab at creating some debate.

  3. #303
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    1. Human beings also have reason. For example, when you're in an argument with a loved one, you will likely try to dissociate from the emotion for a limited amount of time in order to understand their point of view without letting your anger cloud your judgment.
    Which is why if someone said "I'm removing all logic and going to react just on emotion" I'd say that's equally ridiculous. As I said, there's a difference between attempting to approach an issue from a reasoned stand point and attempting to act like emotion doesn't or shouldn't exist and removing it from your view of the situation completely in all aspects.

    2. Human beings can't do anything inhuman. It's a common logical fallacy. If a human being is doing it, it is by definition, human.
    Exactly. Similarly, it is impossible to truly be 100% logical or to remove emotion completley. As seen here, despite his attempts to be "logical" he has exhibited a number of things that are NOT logical. Thus he is attempting to do something that humans can not do....act completely logical and without any emotion.

    3. I pointed out how my class looked at 9/11 sans emotion and I completely understand where Arcadius is coming from. He might not feel the same intensity of disgust I feel when I hear the story, but like him I don't see the point in getting violently worked up every time a story like this comes up. I would never be able to function otherwise.
    And people aren't having a huge issue that he's not getting worked up about it, or by him looking at the response to it in a "logical" means, but rather him taking a tact from start to finish where the most caring he has is a hollow repeating of the word "symapthizes". I'm not getting hugely worked up about it. You haven't seen me calling for castraction, suggesting we need to hunt people down, fire and brim stone, etc etc. This doesn't change the fact that I think its a disgusting and vile act that was absolutely horrible for that girl. No one is saying he needs to be worked up about it...they're saying there's something significantly wrong when you can look at "gang rape of a preteen" and go "meh".

  4. #304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    1. Human beings also have reason. For example, when you're in an argument with a loved one, you will likely try to dissociate from the emotion for a limited amount of time in order to understand their point of view without letting your anger cloud your judgment.

    2. Human beings can't do anything inhuman. It's a common logical fallacy. If a human being is doing it, it is by definition, human.

    3. I pointed out how my class looked at 9/11 sans emotion and I completely understand where Arcadius is coming from. He might not feel the same intensity of disgust I feel when I hear the story, but like him I don't see the point in getting violently worked up every time a story like this comes up. I would never be able to function otherwise.
    3. I pointed out how my class looked at 9/11 sans emotion
    Did they learn to look at it from the terrorists point of view?

    Was it all well rationalized?

  5. #305
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Did they learn to look at it from the terrorists point of view?

    Was it all well rationalized?
    I can't tell why you're asking this so I get the feeling I'm about to be attacked, but I'll answer anyway.

    Yeah, we looked at from their point of view and it seemed pretty rational to me. The best way I can explain it is this: Imagine if another country whose culture/general religious values were completely different and opposed to your own had troops in your country. You see these troops everyday, on your way to work, dropping off your kids. You hear rumors of them torturing your fellow citizens and committing other heinous acts and no matter what you or your government do, they will not leave and appear to be permanently set up to stay on your homeland. Some people would form a coalition of citizens and try to force them off by attacking them through terrorism. Terrorism is a last desperate resort whether its in the Middle East or Asia or Europe. Many sympathizers with 9/11 felt that the U.S. had killed many of their innocent relatives and that if they attacked U.S. innocents, the U.S. might leave their territory in the Persian Gulf.

    The best book about suicide terrorism I've read is this: Amazon.com: Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism (9781400063178): Robert Pape: Books It's actually really interesting for those who are interested.

  6. #306
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Which is why if someone said "I'm removing all logic and going to react just on emotion" I'd say that's equally ridiculous. As I said, there's a difference between attempting to approach an issue from a reasoned stand point and attempting to act like emotion doesn't or shouldn't exist and removing it from your view of the situation completely in all aspects.



    Exactly. Similarly, it is impossible to truly be 100% logical or to remove emotion completley. As seen here, despite his attempts to be "logical" he has exhibited a number of things that are NOT logical. Thus he is attempting to do something that humans can not do....act completely logical and without any emotion.



    And people aren't having a huge issue that he's not getting worked up about it, or by him looking at the response to it in a "logical" means, but rather him taking a tact from start to finish where the most caring he has is a hollow repeating of the word "symapthizes". I'm not getting hugely worked up about it. You haven't seen me calling for castraction, suggesting we need to hunt people down, fire and brim stone, etc etc. This doesn't change the fact that I think its a disgusting and vile act that was absolutely horrible for that girl. No one is saying he needs to be worked up about it...they're saying there's something significantly wrong when you can look at "gang rape of a preteen" and go "meh".
    Okay, I get this sentiment. I guess my problem wasn't really with you but with earlier posters who were trying to get him and in some cases me (which makes no sense) to get outraged and all that. Gardner even insinuated that both of us were psychopaths and pedophiles. I think his comment is just making me extra sensitive to people's criticism because that's not something I want to be associated just for having a different opinion.

  7. #307
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius View Post
    Did you see the following argument and all of the misconceptions that came of me trying to explain? Read some of Play drive's posts. He explained it much better than I did.



    I've read all theplaydrive i ever need too thanks.


    What you are doin is trying to minimize all of hunanity based on remote african instances.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #308
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und;1059340276[B
    ]I've read all theplaydrive i ever need too thanks.[/B]


    What you are doin is trying to minimize all of hunanity based on remote african instances.
    It's funny that you admit that you'll discount the message because of the messenger. It just proves that I'm more open to the truth than you are since even when I disagree with someone a lot, I'm willing to read their arguments. After all, it's hard to go through life without picking up some truth along the way.

  9. #309
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's funny that you admit that you'll discount the message because of the messenger. It just proves that I'm more open to the truth than you are since even when I disagree with someone a lot, I'm willing to read their arguments. After all, it's hard to go through life without picking up some truth along the way.



    Hint: Never let the bully know he got to you.......


    That was the grandest lesson the obama admin failed to deliver in his anti-bully campaign today.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Hint: Never let the bully know he got to you.......


    That was the grandest lesson the obama admin failed to deliver in his anti-bully campaign today.
    And this comment proves that you project grand delusions onto every post. What will you prove next?

Page 31 of 63 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •