Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 630

Thread: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

  1. #291
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    we are not in africa, although texas could be described as backward.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #292
    Advisor Arcadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere far away.
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    390

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    we are not in africa, although texas could be described as backward.
    I don't separate humanity by geographical region.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.~ Ernest Hemingway

  3. #293
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius View Post
    I don't separate humanity by geographical region.
    neither do i. however, just because atrocities like this happen in africa makes them no less horrific. we can do something about them here, though.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #294
    Advisor Arcadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere far away.
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    390

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    neither do i. however, just because atrocities like this happen in africa makes them no less horrific. we can do something about them here, though.
    I'd say the law is doing pretty much all it can about, without violating too much personal privacy and freedom. You are of course misinterpreting what I'm trying to say just like everyone else.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.~ Ernest Hemingway

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    we are not in africa, although texas could be described as backward.
    Really?

    How so?

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius View Post
    I'd say the law is doing pretty much all it can about, without violating too much personal privacy and freedom. You are of course misinterpreting what I'm trying to say just like everyone else.
    I think we all understand what you said and find it more than a little strange. The flaw is not with those who read your posts.

  7. #297
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius View Post
    This is one of the reasons I value logic over emotion.
    You realize that removing all emotion is in and of itself inhuman as well.

    Human beings have emotions. To seperate them out and attempt to remove them is in and of itself attempting to be something other than human. We are not computers, we are not robots, emotions do factor in.

    One can definitely take a step back, view a situation logically, and still express emotion. Wake pointed out how his class tried to look at 9/11 sans emotion...he also pointed out utter disgust and rage was still had after that for the perpetrators.

    That's NOT what you're doing. You're not attempting to remove emotion from your view of what should be done, you're trying to remove emotion completely. The most you give is a cold, heartless, hollow "sympathy" for the victim. While you refuse to allow emotion to enter in, you also act illogical by ignoring that humans by their very nature have a certain amount of emapthy in them and view situations based on that.

    Logically, yes. A girl that's 11 getting raped by 18 men is not as bad as say....an entire race of people being exterminated, or an entire country living in abject poverty, or a village where the women are raped daily. However, also, when you logically look at the context in which people are talking you realize they're speaking in a relatively micro level of crimes against individuals within a developed country rather than a macro version of the world at large. When viewing it that way, a gang rape at that age could be even worse than a grisley murder due to the emotional problems it could subject the woman to for the rest of her life. Its arguably worse than the majority of rape cases that happen to older individuals because the affects of it would be potentially longer lasting and the mind is less developed and more susceptiable to issues.

    If someone in America got fired, had their house burned down, then called and told their daughter was just raped brutally for 2 weeks straight and then killed, their son committed suicide, their wife was divorsing him, and he has aids....you could still, using your twisted version of logic, go "eh, my sympathizes for him...but that's not THAT big of a deal" because hey, there's worse stuf theoritically going on somewhere in the world.

    There's a difference between looking at a situation logically, and looking at it heartlessly. You sit here going on about how logical you THINK you are, while you then take peoples emotional reactions as if they are honest suggestions and not emotional responses to a horrible act in relation to the norm for their existance.

    You say you strive to be logical, I say you're striving to be something other than a human.

  8. #298
    Advisor Arcadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere far away.
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    390

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I think we all understand what you said and find it more than a little strange. The flaw is not with those who read your posts.
    No I'd say I worded it incorrectly. Which gave a much different impression than the one I was going for.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.~ Ernest Hemingway

  9. #299
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius View Post
    I don't separate humanity by geographical region.
    That's ridiculously illogical...but then again, you're not actually about logic and just further proving peoples points.

    Its illogical to suggest that different locations with significantly different circumstances and variables should be judged and viewed as identical and similar in all fashions.

  10. #300
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Eighteen involved in gang rape of 11 year old girl in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You realize that removing all emotion is in and of itself inhuman as well.

    Human beings have emotions. To seperate them out and attempt to remove them is in and of itself attempting to be something other than human. We are not computers, we are not robots, emotions do factor in.

    One can definitely take a step back, view a situation logically, and still express emotion. Wake pointed out how his class tried to look at 9/11 sans emotion...he also pointed out utter disgust and rage was still had after that for the perpetrators.

    That's NOT what you're doing. You're not attempting to remove emotion from your view of what should be done, you're trying to remove emotion completely. The most you give is a cold, heartless, hollow "sympathy" for the victim. While you refuse to allow emotion to enter in, you also act illogical by ignoring that humans by their very nature have a certain amount of emapthy in them and view situations based on that.

    Logically, yes. A girl that's 11 getting raped by 18 men is not as bad as say....an entire race of people being exterminated, or an entire country living in abject poverty, or a village where the women are raped daily. However, also, when you logically look at the context in which people are talking you realize they're speaking in a relatively micro level of crimes against individuals within a developed country rather than a macro version of the world at large. When viewing it that way, a gang rape at that age could be even worse than a grisley murder due to the emotional problems it could subject the woman to for the rest of her life. Its arguably worse than the majority of rape cases that happen to older individuals because the affects of it would be potentially longer lasting and the mind is less developed and more susceptiable to issues.

    If someone in America got fired, had their house burned down, then called and told their daughter was just raped brutally for 2 weeks straight and then killed, their son committed suicide, their wife was divorsing him, and he has aids....you could still, using your twisted version of logic, go "eh, my sympathizes for him...but that's not THAT big of a deal" because hey, there's worse stuf theoritically going on somewhere in the world.

    There's a difference between looking at a situation logically, and looking at it heartlessly. You sit here going on about how logical you THINK you are, while you then take peoples emotional reactions as if they are honest suggestions and not emotional responses to a horrible act in relation to the norm for their existance.

    You say you strive to be logical, I say you're striving to be something other than a human.
    1. Human beings also have reason. For example, when you're in an argument with a loved one, you will likely try to dissociate from the emotion for a limited amount of time in order to understand their point of view without letting your anger cloud your judgment.

    2. Human beings can't do anything inhuman. It's a common logical fallacy. If a human being is doing it, it is by definition, human.

    3. I pointed out how my class looked at 9/11 sans emotion and I completely understand where Arcadius is coming from. He might not feel the same intensity of disgust I feel when I hear the story, but like him I don't see the point in getting violently worked up every time a story like this comes up. I would never be able to function otherwise.

Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •