Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 130

Thread: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

  1. #81
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,733

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Its crap like this why people are starting to despise unions. The only thing an employer owes an employee is wages for the work they do and compensation for any on the job injury or job related injury.



    Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers

    A Connecticut town must provide their union workers free coffee and milk, according to a ruling from the State Board of Labor Relations.

    The board also ordered town leaders to reinstate “Dress Down Fridays” for the union clerical and custodial workers.

    The dispute involved the town of Orange and the local chapter of the United Public Service Employees Union.

    The board determined the town retaliated against the union members for comments they made at a finance meeting in 2009.

    The day after that meeting, First Selectman James Zeloi eliminated the free coffee and milk and the following day ended “Dress Down Friday.” Zeoli told The New Haven Register that he pulled the plug on the coffee to save money and stopped casual Fridays because some employees were abusing the privilege.

    “It shows you how crazy state government has become,” Connecticut Republican Party Chairman Chris Healy told Fox News Radio. “You’d almost laugh at it, if it wasn’t so serious in tone.

    This is just another black eye on state government.”
    Here is the way I see it - The town should not be forced to purchase coffee for it's union employees, but they were already doing it under an existing contract, and that is the key. The town had AGREED to purchase the coffee. They were not forced to do so. A contract is enforceable by law. If the town does not like it, then they should renegotiate it in their next contract talks. However, they cannot arbitrarily take away what was already negotiated in a previous contract. That is illegal, and that is how the Labor Board ruled. As for the dress down Fridays, this is something that was not in the contract, but which by tradition had been done for quite some time.

    What FOX News does NOT report is the actual motivation behind the actions of First Selectman James Zeloi, who is the one who ordered ending the free coffee and dress down Fridays. Someone disagreed with him during a public meeting, so he decided to retaliate. This story is all about the petulance of a man who went off the deep end, after someone disagreed with him in a polite way.

    From the New Haven (Connecticut) Register:

    The state labor board recently ruled in favor of the union that the town must provide those perks, and in its decision said Zeoli only suspended the perks after union leaders spoke out at a meeting about their concerns over excessive legal costs, and their assertion the town was dragging its feet in contract negotiations.
    But leave it to FOX News to conveniently ignore this fact, in order to promote it's own political agenda. This is just another of the many examples of why FOX News is not a real news organization at all, but a propaganda mouthpiece for the Republican Party. After all, if they were a real news organization, then they would truly report all the facts, and let us decide. That's their motto, right? Physician, heal thyself.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-06-11 at 05:05 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #82
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,306
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The Union agreed in hopes of winning the PR war, "SEE SEE WE COMPROMISED!!" but they still want the big ace in the hole, CB.

    You really think this has to do with Dem Vs. Rep.? Nope, and that's why you, and your idealogical side are losing this battle, finally. The Wisconsin Teachers are GOING to lose their CB powers, and future generations will thank them for it.
    Typical. They compromise, but it's just some ploy. The CB is so evil that they dared to compromise when they had to so they must be bad. It is that way because you say it is with zero logic or evidence to back you up. It is that way, simply because that is what you need it to be to fit into your ideological view.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #83
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,306
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    That's all you got, parrot. Few if any pay you any mind anymore. The conversation had moved beyond the topic of coffee, do try to keep up.
    Do you have anything except ad homs?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    The corporate elite are buying Ferraris with the change in their couch cushions while demanding tax cuts, and conservatives are up at night having nightmares about public employees having coffee? Man, it makes one understand the French Revolution more and more. The right-wing in this country is totally, utterly, bat-**** insane.
    Last edited by Troubadour; 03-06-11 at 05:06 PM.

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Of course it happens. What does that matter? Because it does happen on both sides it makes it right? ???
    OK. I agree. It's wrong on BOTH sides.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #86
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    This is not specific.
    What? hahaha....It is the definition of "specific"....A direct quote from Karl Marx himself.

    So specificity is not really what you want, what is it exactly that you are looking for?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #87
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Typical. They compromise, but it's just some ploy. The CB is so evil that they dared to compromise when they had to so they must be bad. It is that way because you say it is with zero logic or evidence to back you up. It is that way, simply because that is what you need it to be to fit into your ideological view.
    CB is undemocratic Redress, you cannot have Collective Bargaining with the Government. It's just WRONG.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #88
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,306
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    CB is undemocratic Redress, you cannot have Collective Bargaining with the Government. It's just WRONG.
    Why? Are government workers slaves? Simply stating something does not make it true.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #89
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why? Are government workers slaves? Simply stating something does not make it true.
    It is exactly true, at least for Public sector workers. If it were repubs that were the beneficiaries of Union campaign money, you'd be all over these boards typing how it was wrong.


    j-mac
    Last edited by j-mac; 03-06-11 at 09:48 PM.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #90
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,733

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It is exactly true, at least for Public sector workers. If it were repubs that were the beneficiaries of Union campaign money, you'd be all over these boards typing how it was wrong.


    j-mac
    How do you know that? Do you know Redress?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •