Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 130

Thread: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

  1. #61
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    Ditto. You also ignore the fact that the teachers union here has agreed to accept cutbacks. Walker rejected it. This isn't about budget management. It's nothing less than union busting on the part of Walker and state Republicans. Wal-Martconsin.
    He rejected it because the CB powers, are PART of the problem. Something you ignore. He's trying to keep the Teachers Union from using that power to regain what they are about to lose and bust the budget again. Public Sector Unions should be BANNED. Don't ask me why, talk to FDR, talk to George Meany.

    “It is impossible to bargain collectively with the government.”

    That wasn’t Newt Gingrich, or Ron Paul, or Ronald Reagan talking. That was George Meany -- the former president of the A.F.L.-C.I.O -- in 1955. Government unions are unremarkable today, but the labor movement once thought the idea absurd.
    The founders of the labor movement viewed unions as a vehicle to get workers more of the profits they help create. Government workers, however, don’t generate profits. They merely negotiate for more tax money. When government unions strike, they strike against taxpayers. F.D.R. considered this “unthinkable and intolerable.”

    Government collective bargaining means voters do not have the final say on public policy. Instead their elected representatives must negotiate spending and policy decisions with unions. That is not exactly democratic – a fact that unions once recognized.
    F.D.R. Warned Us About Public Sector Unions - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

    So keep up the populist talking points Tashah. It's amusing to watch you flounder.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #62
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    The point being made is that a company is nothing without its workforce. It sucks for the people in charge, but that's simply how a company works.

    So, what, because I'm not greedy enough, I'm therefore naive? That's a pretty weak argument.
    You're Naive in believing it's an issue of greed.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #63
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Name the head of any Union in the United States that is not a MARXIST....just ONE.
    Somebody seriously needs to put down the Glenn Beck pills.

    Last edited by Sgt Meowenstein; 03-06-11 at 11:27 AM.


  4. #64
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Supporting the existence of unions and hating them for becoming too greedy are two different things. I support the existence of unions., I however think many have gotten too damn greedy for their own good.
    That's what negotiations are for. Business, towns, states, etc are also part of the negotiating process. Unions don't just get what they demand. If the town doesn't want to pay for coffee, then they should deal with that issue when contracts are negotiated.

    Whether or not the town provides coffee should only be up to the town.Employees are not not owed coffee.
    Apparently, the board that made the ruling disagrees with you. I guess the town should have negotiated that issue before they signed the contracts.
    Last edited by Sgt Meowenstein; 03-06-11 at 11:45 AM.


  5. #65
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    That's what negotiations are for. Business, towns, states, etc are also part of the negotiating process. Unions don't just get what they demand. If the town doesn't want to pay for coffee, then they should deal with that issue when contracts are negotiated.



    Apparently, the board that made the ruling disagrees with you. I guess the town should have negotiated that issue before they signed the contracts.
    FDR called public sector unions unthinkable. For a reason. Do you know the reason?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #66
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,253

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Negotiation is a process where both parties dance around each other until they can agree a compromise acceptable to both parties. The union goes in with an aspirational upfront demand, and a bottom line for which they will settle, and the management who insist they have no money, but will eventually "find" some amount. So long as both bottom lines overlap, then honour can be satisfied on both sides, and agreement can be amicably reached. Whiners without access to the full facts should be ignored.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #67
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    FDR called public sector unions unthinkable. For a reason. Do you know the reason?
    I'm not sure what that has to do with my point. So, I'll just ignore it. Thanks.


  8. #68
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    I'm not sure what that has to do with my point. So, I'll just ignore it. Thanks.
    Of course you will.

    Because you cannot defend public sector unions.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #69
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Comrade, you are so wrong.

    You don't get it do you? Business, and for that matter GOVERNMENT.... do not exist to give people kooshy jobs with great benefits. They exist to provide profit to the people who have a vested interest in the company. Or to the PEOPLE.

    Least it's supposed to work that way, but sadly we've got a large number of folks that think business are greedy horrible institutions that should be forced to pay workers huge salaries and great benefits because it's unfair the investors and upper management are rich (that's what class warfare does, makes people stupid) and when it comes to public sector jobs that the Government should be a high pay/benefit job creator.
    That's not true anymore. Businesses used to have to live by the profit motive only, but after too many scandals where company employees said "it is what made the shareholders the most money", that has now been changed. Businesses are supposed to be ethical entities like any person.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    FDR called public sector unions unthinkable. For a reason. Do you know the reason?
    How do you feel about the New Deal?
    Last edited by whysoserious; 03-06-11 at 01:00 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  10. #70
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,981
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Employees have no legal right to have coffee provided by their employers.
    I am not sure that anyone has tried to make this case. But, you have defeated it quite soundly. gj

    Here's a link to a .pdf of the decision of the court for anyone who is interested

    http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/csblr/4490.pdf

    The actual allegation is that the "...Town of Orange the Town had violated Section 7-740 of the Municipal Employee Relations Act MERA or the Act..."


    ETA:
    I think that court doc has typo and means section 7-470 and not 7-740.
    Last edited by Simon W. Moon; 03-06-11 at 01:09 PM. Reason: ETA info about the typo in the court doc
    I may be wrong.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •