Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 130

Thread: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

  1. #101
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    The main thing that hamstrings the public sector with unions is being forced to lay off based on seniority rather than merit. That's the biggie. That's it. When unions agree to accept lay offs based upon merit, the war will be over. Unfortunately, that means that seniority teachers (and others) who would not even be able to pass the teachers' exams that the current teachers must pass, who have records of performance mediocrity and ineffectiveness, must be kept.

    In California, every budget cutting effort that tried to avoid lay offs has been taken to court by the unions, and in many cases overturned by judges who have no choice because of the tightly-locked union contracts that give unions the right to force lay offs (based on seniority) rather than allow budget cutting by furloughs, wage freeze or other methods.

    The contracts have draconean clauses that make it impossible to make any cuts to union costs without the union's permission. Who ratified these draconean union contracts, with California public sector employees making more than their counterparts around the country? The overwhelmingly democratic legislature that depends upon union votes and union campaign contributions to keep their cushy jobs.

    This is totally backward, tail-wagging-dog fiscal strategy based upon partisian politics and greed. It's got to stop sometime. Maybe this finally is the time.
    The reason for any seniority system is so that, when someone is close to being vested for pension, they cannot be laid off in order to kill his or her pension benefits. Without seniority, you see that kind of tactic employed every day. When I was let go by Texas Instruments, back in 1985, I was only 2 weeks away from being vested for pension. In spite of that, I still value my time with Texas Instruments more than I value the time I spent at my previous job with Lear-Siegler, where I was in the UAW, and where I hated every moment that I worked there.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-06-11 at 11:46 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #102
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    98053
    Last Seen
    04-19-15 @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    264

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Another great reason to dump Unions, just add this ridiculous ruling to the list, that includes helping to put most States and the Federal Government in the economic dumpster.

    As I see it State and Federal Wage and Hour laws, Minimum Wage Laws and OSHA cover all the real important issues.

    If you don't like your job, work hard and get promoted or look for one you can live with.

    Unions as I see it use Coercion to gain compliance with often unreasonable demands then defend lazy useless workers as we see in most DMV offices.
    Ah, spoken like a person who views people as fungible. Just another cog in the machinery (except these cogs are replaceable and not worth the maintenance that we give to capitol equipment).

  3. #103
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    98053
    Last Seen
    04-19-15 @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    264

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Free coffee? Really? Wow. I became self-employed about 20 years ago, but when I worked in both the private and public sectors, employees had to contribute to a coffee fund to purchase coffee/tea supplies. Damn. No wonder every place is going broke nowadays. Do y'all know how much coffee costs now???
    I've worked at about 9 different companies over my career and the only one where I had to pay for coffee was NCR, and it was a union shop.

  4. #104
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Its crap like this why people are starting to despise unions. The only thing an employer owes an employee is wages for the work they do and compensation for any on the job injury or job related injury.

    Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers

    A Connecticut town must provide their union workers free coffee and milk, according to a ruling from the State Board of Labor Relations.

    The board also ordered town leaders to reinstate “Dress Down Fridays” for the union clerical and custodial workers.
    i'm so happy we spend money on a national relations labor board to make the critical, time-sensitive decisions like this.

    and just the other day Haymarket was telling me what an important and helpful role the NRLB played.

  5. #105
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The by the same sense, the conservatives, are for less restrictive taxes on everyone, so there is no conspiracy or corruption, when we defend tax cuts ….. because according to your own assertion it is perfectly acceptable to defend something that is or may be wrong as long as it goes along with the general principles which you stand for.

    The sad part is our government has taken this same stance, and because if it, is it any wonder why things are the way they are ?
    I have never claimed conspiracy for republicans defending tax cuts. Do you have any more failed arguments?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #106
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Of course you will.

    Because you cannot defend public sector unions.
    Yes I can. In fact, that's what I've been doing this entire thread. Go back and look at page one. I was the first to chime in defending unions. So tell me what FDR's take on unions has to do with my opinion or this thread. Oh you can't? That's what I thought. Thanks for playing.


  7. #107
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Here is the way I see it - The town should not be forced to purchase coffee for it's union employees, but they were already doing it under an existing contract, and that is the key. The town had AGREED to purchase the coffee. They were not forced to do so. A contract is enforceable by law. If the town does not like it, then they should renegotiate it in their next contract talks. However, they cannot arbitrarily take away what was already negotiated in a previous contract. That is illegal, and that is how the Labor Board ruled. As for the dress down Fridays, this is something that was not in the contract, but which by tradition had been done for quite some time.

    What FOX News does NOT report is the actual motivation behind the actions of First Selectman James Zeloi, who is the one who ordered ending the free coffee and dress down Fridays. Someone disagreed with him during a public meeting, so he decided to retaliate. This story is all about the petulance of a man who went off the deep end, after someone disagreed with him in a polite way.

    From the New Haven (Connecticut) Register:



    But leave it to FOX News to conveniently ignore this fact, in order to promote it's own political agenda. This is just another of the many examples of why FOX News is not a real news organization at all, but a propaganda mouthpiece for the Republican Party. After all, if they were a real news organization, then they would truly report all the facts, and let us decide. That's their motto, right? Physician, heal thyself.
    You are assuming that the right to receive free coffee and milk, as well as dress like bums on Fridays was part of the union contract. Nothing in this story says this is the case. It appears that this was a perk provided for the eleven employees out of the goodness of the town's heart.

    Now... what were you saying about Fox News and facts ???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #108
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Doesn't work either, since I am a liberal.

    Sorry for that....


    Let me offer you a more rational reason why liberals and democrats are standing up for the teachers union.
    K

    We feel we are the party of the working class of America. Teachers are part of that working class, and unions represent a fair portion of that working class.
    Oh really? Do you have any idea how much of the American workforce is Union organized?

    In 2010, the union membership rate--the percent of wage and salary workers who were
    members of a union--was 11.9 percent, down from 12.3 percent a year earlier

    Union Members Summary
    12% that's it. Yet you claim that you represent ALL American working class?

    I am part of that "working class" middle America you claim to represent, yet I wouldn't be a part of a union if it were free.

    Explain that one.

    Therefore we stand up for those we are supposed to represent. See, this makes sense, and there is no conspiracy or corruption.
    Oh there is plenty of corruption in Unions. Don't fool yourself. Public Sector unions have a direct hand in giving money to campaigns of the politicians that they will someday sit across the bargaining table from. That is the textbook definition of corrupt.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #109
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You are assuming that the right to receive free coffee and milk, as well as dress like bums on Fridays was part of the union contract. Nothing in this story says this is the case. It appears that this was a perk provided for the eleven employees out of the goodness of the town's heart.

    Now... what were you saying about Fox News and facts ???
    Unless you can back up your claim that coffee was not in the contract, it appears that you're making assumptions.


  10. #110
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Connecticut Town Ordered to Pay for Union Workers’ Coffee

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post

    Oh really? Do you have any idea how much of the American workforce is Union organized?



    12% that's it. Yet you claim that you represent ALL American working class?

    I am part of that "working class" middle America you claim to represent, yet I wouldn't be a part of a union if it were free.

    Explain that one.
    Straw man. Never said that. 12 % is a fairly large portion of the working class however.

    I chose to vote against being in a union myself. Explain that. It's about having choices.


    Oh there is plenty of corruption in Unions. Don't fool yourself. Public Sector unions have a direct hand in giving money to campaigns of the politicians that they will someday sit across the bargaining table from. That is the textbook definition of corrupt.


    j-mac
    You could say the same for any one or any organization that contributes to political campaigns of causes.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •