Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 419

Thread: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

  1. #1
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added - Yahoo! News

    If this keeps up. Like him or not, Obama will be unbeatable in 2012.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Maybe. But any improvement in jobs should be good news for all of us.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #3
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    I'll be interested in some of the cover and run that will be displayed by those who are shorting America.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #4
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Maybe. But any improvement in jobs should be good news for all of us.
    Now for the rest of the story, since Obama has taken office over a million people per month have dropped out of the labor market. Guess that is a success to liberals.

    Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
    Original Data Value

    Series Id: LNS13000000
    Seasonally Adjusted
    Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Level
    Labor force status: Unemployed
    Type of data: Number in thousands
    Age: 16 years and over
    Years: 2000 to 2010

    Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    2000 5708 5858 5733 5481 5758 5651 5747 5853 5625 5534 5639 5634
    2001 6023 6089 6141 6271 6226 6484 6583 7042 7142 7694 8003 8258
    2002 8182 8215 8304 8599 8399 8393 8390 8304 8251 8307 8520 8640
    2003 8520 8618 8588 8842 8957 9266 9011 8896 8921 8732 8576 8317
    2004 8370 8167 8491 8170 8212 8286 8136 7990 7927 8061 7932 7934
    2005 7784 7980 7737 7672 7651 7524 7406 7345 7553 7453 7566 7279
    2006 7059 7185 7075 7122 6977 6998 7154 7097 6853 6728 6883 6784
    2007 7085 6898 6725 6845 6765 6966 7113 7096 7200 7273 7284 7696
    2008 7628 7435 7793 7631 8397 8560 8895 9509 9569 10172 10617 11400
    2009 11919 12714 13310 13816 14518 14721 14534 14993 15159 15612 15340 15267
    2010 14837 14871 15005 15260 14973 14623 14599 14860 14767 14843 15119 14485
    2011 13863 13673
    Discouraged workers
    2008 467 396 401 412 400 420 461 381 467 484 608 642
    2009 734 731 685 740 792 793 796 758 706 808 861 929
    2010 1065 1204 994 1197 1083 1207 1185 1110 1209 1219 1282 1318
    2011 993 1020

    Unemployed + Discouraged
    2008 8095 7831 8194 8043 8797 8980 9356 9890 10036 10656 11225 12042
    2009 12653 13445 13995 14556 15310 15514 15330 15751 15865 16420 16201 16196
    2010 15902 16075 15999 16457 16056 15830 15784 15970 15976 16062 16401 15803
    2011 14856 14693

    Apparently 14.693 million unemployed is a success to a liberal. The only liberals touting these numbers must be the ones that are either in school or have a job.

    Since the Obama "recovery" began 20 months ago, the national unemployment rate has fallen only half a point, from 9.4 percent in July 2009 to 8.9 percent today. Contrast those anemic results with the robust job growth that occurred during the Reagan recovery in the ’80s. By the 20-month mark of the Reagan recovery, unemployment had dropped from 10.8 percent to 7.5 percent – a 3.3-point drop.
    Source: http://blog.heritage.org/2011/03/04/...eaving-behind/

  5. #5
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added - Yahoo! News

    If this keeps up. Like him or not, Obama will be unbeatable in 2012.
    Uh, no. Healthcare, massive increases to the debt and deficit, multiple foreign relations embarassments, and smaller issues like calling a cop a racist from the president's podium, are ladled all over this over-exposed, completely unqualified joke of a president.

    Plus, this is one month.

    Good news, but wake me when we string 6 to 8 of these together in a row. Get unemployment down to 4-5 percent, and the added tax base will make things look a lot shinier.

  6. #6
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Maybe. But any improvement in jobs should be good news for all of us.
    You are right. Regardless of what party you belong to, this has to be great news for the country.

  7. #7
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Now for the rest of the story, since Obama has taken office over a million people per month have dropped out of the labor market. Guess that is a success to liberals.

    Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
    Original Data Value

    Series Id: LNS13000000
    Seasonally Adjusted
    Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Level
    Labor force status: Unemployed
    Type of data: Number in thousands
    Age: 16 years and over
    Years: 2000 to 2010

    Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    2000 5708 5858 5733 5481 5758 5651 5747 5853 5625 5534 5639 5634
    2001 6023 6089 6141 6271 6226 6484 6583 7042 7142 7694 8003 8258
    2002 8182 8215 8304 8599 8399 8393 8390 8304 8251 8307 8520 8640
    2003 8520 8618 8588 8842 8957 9266 9011 8896 8921 8732 8576 8317
    2004 8370 8167 8491 8170 8212 8286 8136 7990 7927 8061 7932 7934
    2005 7784 7980 7737 7672 7651 7524 7406 7345 7553 7453 7566 7279
    2006 7059 7185 7075 7122 6977 6998 7154 7097 6853 6728 6883 6784
    2007 7085 6898 6725 6845 6765 6966 7113 7096 7200 7273 7284 7696
    2008 7628 7435 7793 7631 8397 8560 8895 9509 9569 10172 10617 11400
    2009 11919 12714 13310 13816 14518 14721 14534 14993 15159 15612 15340 15267
    2010 14837 14871 15005 15260 14973 14623 14599 14860 14767 14843 15119 14485
    2011 13863 13673
    Discouraged workers
    2008 467 396 401 412 400 420 461 381 467 484 608 642
    2009 734 731 685 740 792 793 796 758 706 808 861 929
    2010 1065 1204 994 1197 1083 1207 1185 1110 1209 1219 1282 1318
    2011 993 1020

    Unemployed + Discouraged
    2008 8095 7831 8194 8043 8797 8980 9356 9890 10036 10656 11225 12042
    2009 12653 13445 13995 14556 15310 15514 15330 15751 15865 16420 16201 16196
    2010 15902 16075 15999 16457 16056 15830 15784 15970 15976 16062 16401 15803
    2011 14856 14693

    Apparently 14.693 million unemployed is a success to a liberal. The only liberals touting these numbers must be the ones that are either in school or have a job.
    This is nearly 2,000,000 less than the maximum critical point shown in the data. Like it or not, things are getting better, and will continue to do so for forseable future.

    Since the Obama "recovery" began 20 months ago, the national unemployment rate has fallen only half a point, from 9.4 percent in July 2009 to 8.9 percent today. Contrast those anemic results with the robust job growth that occurred during the Reagan recovery in the ’80s. By the 20-month mark of the Reagan recovery, unemployment had dropped from 10.8 percent to 7.5 percent – a 3.3-point drop.
    Source: http://blog.heritage.org/2011/03/04/...eaving-behind/
    And as you have been informed multiple times, this was a much more severe economic contraction, as evident by the volume of job losses, financial asset deflation, and a housing market that is argued to be worse than that of the 30's.

    A deflationary recession and a stagflationary recession are completely different. Volker manufactured the employment situation to stem inflation. Try to keep up!
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #8
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    And as you have been informed multiple times, this was a much more severe economic contraction, as evident by the volume of job losses, financial asset deflation, and a housing market that is argued to be worse than that of the 30's.

    A deflationary recession and a stagflationary recession are completely different. Volker manufactured the employment situation to stem inflation. Try to keep up!
    Where have you been lately?

    Anyway, I'll respond with my usual answer that this is artificial growth doomed to another crash. And the cycle starts all over again.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #9
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is nearly 2,000,000 less than the maximum critical point shown in the data. Like it or not, things are getting better, and will continue to do so for forseable future.



    And as you have been informed multiple times, this was a much more severe economic contraction, as evident by the volume of job losses, financial asset deflation, and a housing market that is argued to be worse than that of the 30's.

    A deflationary recession and a stagflationary recession are completely different. Volker manufactured the employment situation to stem inflation. Try to keep up!
    So adding 3.5 trillion to the debt to get these numbers and still have 14.7 million reported to be unemployed is a positive for you? If you generated these kind of numbers after spending this kind of money would you still be employed?

    As has been explained to you as well, 17% interest rates, double digit unemployment was worse then than now but maybe you didn't get your new IPhone which makes it a depression.

  10. #10
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is nearly 2,000,000 less than the maximum critical point shown in the data. Like it or not, things are getting better, and will continue to do so for forseable future.



    And as you have been informed multiple times, this was a much more severe economic contraction, as evident by the volume of job losses, financial asset deflation, and a housing market that is argued to be worse than that of the 30's.

    A deflationary recession and a stagflationary recession are completely different. Volker manufactured the employment situation to stem inflation. Try to keep up!
    I think that it is really sad that in this country people (Republicans and Democrats) would prefer failure over success if the other party is in power. Why can't we all be happy for success regardless of who is in power instead of poking holes in it. I have alot of friends out of work right now who were happy about the turn of the country.

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •