Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 419

Thread: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

  1. #251
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Who should pay this particular benefit, the government or AT&T?

    Secondly, retirement health care expenses are a liability, not revenue.
    AT&T and they should be able to deduct the amount as an expense to the company. Retirement health care expenses are an expense to whom?

  2. #252
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    People keeping more of their own money don't face a depression. How did Obama stave off a greater depression?
    Without the stimulus spending in 2009, GDP would be (insert the dollar amount of stimulus dollars plus their multiplier) that much lower. Lower GDP can be understood in terms of increased unemployment (Okun's law).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #253
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Without the stimulus spending in 2009, GDP would be (insert the dollar amount of stimulus dollars plus their multiplier) that much lower. Lower GDP can be understood in terms of increased unemployment (Okun's law).
    How much of the stimulus was spent in 2009? Obama took advantage of a crisis to advance a leftwing agenda on an economy that was improving before much of his stimulus was spent.

  4. #254
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    How does AT&T "push the costs" on to taxpayers? I wasn't aware that a company keeping more of what they earn is an expense to the Federal Govt. I haven't found on the Budget of the United States a line item in the expense category for individual corporate deductions. The way to cut the deficit is to cut the unnecessary spending and not supplement it by taking more revenue out of the private sector.
    They did not have to pay taxes on a subsidy that they received for providing prescription drug coverage for retirees, now they will. Why do you support such corporate welfare?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #255
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    How much of the stimulus was spent in 2009? Obama took advantage of a crisis to advance a leftwing agenda on an economy that was improving before much of his stimulus was spent.
    Less than the output gap (the difference between potential output and actual output), which is all the more reason it should have been much larger.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #256
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    They did not have to pay taxes on a subsidy that they received for providing prescription drug coverage for retirees, now they will. Why do you support such corporate welfare?
    What was the form of the subsidy? A reduction in taxes paid? If so that isn't corporate welfare that is keeping more of what they earned.

  7. #257
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Less than the output gap (the difference between potential output and actual output), which is all the more reason it should have been much larger.
    Not talking about what it should have been, I asked how much was spent in 2009 and how that prevented a depression?

  8. #258
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What was the form of the subsidy? A reduction in taxes paid? If so that isn't corporate welfare that is keeping more of what they earned.
    No. AT&T receives a subsidy for offering retiree drug coverage; the new law does not allow it to remain tax exempt. Therefore you have just been arguing in favor of corporate welfare.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #259
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    No. AT&T receives a subsidy for offering retiree drug coverage; the new law does not allow it to remain tax exempt. Therefore you have just been arguing in favor of corporate welfare.
    How is the subsidy paid to AT&T?

  10. #260
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Not talking about what it should have been, I asked how much was spent in 2009 and how that prevented a depression?
    Something like 24% in 2009, 50% in 2010, and 14% in 2011.
    Last edited by Kushinator; 03-06-11 at 11:29 AM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •