Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 419

Thread: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

  1. #181
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The saddest part of this whole thing is they are fudging the numbers. The numbers of unemployed are not the actual number, it is the number of people on unemployment. If they are 99 weeks they fall off the rolls and are not counted anymore. The numbers are a lie.
    Exactly, as I pointed out, if you eliminate a million people from the unemployment roles what does anyone think the unemployment rate is going to do? In February there were 1.020 million discouraged workers who dropped of the unemployment roles. those people are unemployed but not counted any more.

  2. #182
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I place a lot of value on infrastructure and understand that it is paid for by excise taxes collected when you buy gasoline and/or diesel. You don't seem to have a clue on this or any other issue.
    LOL! You think roads are our only infrastructure do you?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #183
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That was Iraq. That is one of two wars. He has continued to bring troops home from Iraq as per the agreement Bush made with the Iraqi government. Afghanistan he ran on a platform of concentrating on and winning.
    Two years after he still hasn't brought the troops home from Iraq, take that to the bank .... was just an outright lie then ?? Now show us where he his winning in Afghanistan.

  4. #184
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Originally Posted by rcart76
    So why did Bush sign it if he didn't agree with it? He had the veto power right?
    Okay then lets take that a step further, the tax cuts that will be up for discussion in 2012 will be call the Obama tax cuts for the rich …. passed by a democratic controlled house, senate, and signed by a democratic president. Right ??
    Originally Posted by liblady
    see redress's post. thanks so much. i see you're leaving bush's tarp out of the equation now, as well as blaming obama for having to cover bush's wars. partisan much?
    Seeing as Obama ran on getting us out of the wars, two years later and we are still there and he has since added troops to Afghanistan. Then you are saying it's now Obama's war correct ?? Or are you partisan much?

    Originally Posted by Redress
    No, it projected a level of spending and revenue, neither of which was accurate.
    So you are saying that the democratic controlled house and senate lied to the American people ?? Did they not review it, alter it, before sending it back ??
    Givemethe facts

    Your Absolutely right, I just finished reading "Decision Points" and Bush discussed how it was his administration that came out with TARP, and how it helped save the Economy.
    Okay great, so now Bush saved the Economy, remember that in your future postings, the recovery is based on Bush's actions before leaving office, and not what Obama has done since.


    Boy we have covered a lot in this thread, we have determined that Bush saved the economy, that the tax cuts for the rich are Obama's , and the that war we are left in is also Obama's and to top it off another poster just admitted that the democrats that control both houses lied to the American people in the 2009 budget ..

    See those liberal aren't so bad .. they just admitted a bunch of things
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 03-05-11 at 03:06 AM.

  5. #185
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If you believed that, it is only because you did not actually pay attention to what was said. The word "projection" has meaning. In point of fact, the document the numbers came from made numerous references to the fact that the numbers where projections and could change, possibly significantly.

    Thank you for that explanation. Now just just remember to apply that to Obamacare as well, and if the projections of future costs are off by as much what happens to our national debt??

  6. #186
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Thank you for that explanation. Now just just remember to apply that to Obamacare as well, and if the projections of future costs are off by as much what happens to our national debt??
    Very little if we put into action efforts to reduce the debt. Almost all projections are off by some amount. This does not mean that we should never do anything.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #187
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Objective Voice
    I will never understand an individual sticking to this same BS when the evidence in today's job market goes contrary to your mantra.

    I'm sure you're seen the countless jobs reports that state employers (mostly in financial sectors, i.e., banks) have money to burn, but they're just sitting on it right now. And why? Please, don't come back with the line that it's about Obama's job killing policies because contrary to popular belief most of his financial policies have included tax cuts, not tax increases. Furthermore, the biggest so-called "job killer" - the PPAC - hasn't even gone into full swing yet. Nothing about its implementation currently has anything to do with the business sectors. It's all on the States currently to implement the high-risk pools under the law. So, explain to us how in our current economic environment if businesses have received tax cuts especially considering that the Bush Tax Cuts have been extended thru 2012 and businesses (banks mostly) are sitting on all this surplus cash - money you say if they are allowed to keep they'll reinvest it for the sake of job growth - why the hell aren't they doing it? (Or shall I say why aren't they doing it faster since we are seeing increased private sector job growth per the article in the OP.)
    You know I can agree with much of what you are saying there. One of the reasons the banks are doing so well however, is the pure fact that they can borrow money from the fed at 0% interest, buy bonds, get 2 to 2.5% return, collect that and pay the fed back. It's a lock with no risk. If you want to get them loaning money again, don't let them borrow at 0%, Make them have to start loaning money to make their profits.

    In my opinion the reason is two fold that business's aren't doing anything, first is the banks that aren't lending, and 2nd are the policies being put in place. One has been taken care of (for the time being) with the extension of the tax cuts, and since that happened, you have seen some improvement in the private sector.

    Next is the new health care law, (not saying anything about being good or bad) it's tied up in the courts, and is going to be bounced around in the houses, businesses don't know if they should be preparing for the future costs of it or not. Heck there have been over 700 waivers for one part of this health care bill, what about those companies that can't afford to get lawyers to apply and get a wavier? So until all this is settled no company knows what they are going to have to do with their health care for employees.

    Then you have the overall economy, despite some small gains being made, I don't think anyone is really to sure that we have turned the corner yet. Housing that was supposed to have bottomed, now looks like that might not be so. Inflation is beginning, much of it due to gas prices, and those are not going to stabilize any time soon. I guess what I'm saying is put yourself in place of a businessman, would you be confident of investing yet ?

  8. #188
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Very little if we put into action efforts to reduce the debt. Almost all projections are off by some amount. This does not mean that we should never do anything.
    Lets just hope it isn't off by as much as the projected price of Medicare, if it is we are done, no amount of cutting or taxing will offset it.

    That is the problem I have with government, we do things all wrong in my opinion, yes we needed health care reform, but what would have been wrong in doing it in steps, implementing what would have helped and not cost anything first, say like the 500 billion they say there is in waste and fraud in Medicare. That would have zoomed through with probably no opposition. Allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines, some form of tort reform. These things would have cost no one anything, and been easy to pass. Then they could have moved on to the harder parts.

    Now I know you and I are on opposing sides in this, but just think back, when Bush passed the tax cuts in much the same way the Dems passed this health care bill how much resentment it caused to people like yourself. Liberals have never been for that tax cut, never been behind it, and have spoken out against it every chance you have had, yet … now for some reason, you expect that conservatives are suppose to just accept this bill, and move on..... why is that?

    Now seeing we do agree that projections never end up being very accurate, how about this, lets send that bill to an independent auditing firm, with no affiliation to either party, and see what they say about the numbers. Would that be acceptable?

  9. #189
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Lets just hope it isn't off by as much as the projected price of Medicare, if it is we are done, no amount of cutting or taxing will offset it.

    That is the problem I have with government, we do things all wrong in my opinion, yes we needed health care reform, but what would have been wrong in doing it in steps, implementing what would have helped and not cost anything first, say like the 500 billion they say there is in waste and fraud in Medicare. That would have zoomed through with probably no opposition. Allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines, some form of tort reform. These things would have cost no one anything, and been easy to pass. Then they could have moved on to the harder parts.

    Now I know you and I are on opposing sides in this, but just think back, when Bush passed the tax cuts in much the same way the Dems passed this health care bill how much resentment it caused to people like yourself. Liberals have never been for that tax cut, never been behind it, and have spoken out against it every chance you have had, yet now for some reason, you expect that conservatives are suppose to just accept this bill, and move on..... why is that?

    Now seeing we do agree that projections never end up being very accurate, how about this, lets send that bill to an independent auditing firm, with no affiliation to either party, and see what they say about the numbers. Would that be acceptable?
    That would be the CBO, which has done just that.

    This thread is a good example of the tactics used by some of our right wing friends. If good news happens(and no matter how you spin it, the OP is good news), then make as many random complaints about anything to counter it. Let no bit of good news not be drowned out in random complaints.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #190
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Unemployment dips to 8.9 pct., 192K jobs added

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That would be the CBO, which has done just that.

    This thread is a good example of the tactics used by some of our right wing friends. If good news happens(and no matter how you spin it, the OP is good news), then make as many random complaints about anything to counter it. Let no bit of good news not be drowned out in random complaints.
    I don't believe the CBO in as non partisan as you, and I doubt that you really believe it to be either.

    I agree, but I have seen just as much of that partisanship from you as well.

    I'll also agree that the improvement is a good thing, it's a start and needs to continue, will you agree, that are unemployment numbers ...(not just now but ever) have never been an accurate figure of those unemployed and that is true now as well?

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •