Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://latino.f

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://latino.f

    Here we go again Mexican trucks coming here. It didn't work during Bush but Obama wants them here to take freight away from US truckers


    Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute - Fox News Latino

    U.S. President Barack Obama and Mexico's Felipe Calderon agreed here Thursday on a process aimed at resolving a long-running dispute over the right of Mexican cargo trucks to operate north of the border.

    The two heads of state discussed the matter in the White House Oval Office for more than an hour before offering a joint press conference and then eating lunch together.

    At the press conference the two leaders announced the advancement achieved on the truck dispute, which has led Mexico to impose tariffs in reprisal.

  2. #2
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Here we go again Mexican trucks coming here. It didn't work during Bush but Obama wants them here to take freight away from US truckers
    Yes, because God forbid we adhere to the agreements that we've ALREADY MADE and pursue free trade, which is the greatest engine of growth in our economy. It's far better to put the interests of a few people ahead of all of society.

    I support Obama 110% on this. I hope we can soon expand the scope of NAFTA, and also establish a Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) with any country in the Western Hemisphere that wants in.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Yes, because God forbid we adhere to the agreements that we've ALREADY MADE and pursue free trade, which is the greatest engine of growth in our economy. It's far better to put the interests of a few people ahead of all of society.

    I support Obama 110% on this. I hope we can soon expand the scope of NAFTA, and also establish a Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) with any country in the Western Hemisphere that wants in.
    The road safety and enforcing our laws may cause more problems. Mexicans are not big on safety or good equipment

  4. #4
    Student
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    04-11-11 @ 09:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    295

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    The road safety and enforcing our laws may cause more problems. Mexicans are not big on safety or good equipment
    This is very true. It doesn't much matter it won't go anywhere. When Obama is voted out in the next several months it will be a distant memory.

  5. #5
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    The road safety and enforcing our laws may cause more problems. Mexicans are not big on safety or good equipment
    All trucks operating on American roads have to meet American safety standards, regardless of what country they come from. Let's not pretend this is really about safety. The real explanation is this:
    Here we go again Mexican trucks coming here. It didn't work during Bush but Obama wants them here to take freight away from US truckers
    Funny how those safety concerns just happen to coincide with your actual complaint.

    Economists don't agree with each other on a lot of things, but just about every economist of every political ideology agrees that free trade is extremely beneficial to a nation's economy.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #6
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    This is very true. It doesn't much matter it won't go anywhere. When Obama is voted out in the next several months it will be a distant memory.
    You think a Republican president would be hostile to free trade?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #7
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    I have been in the industry for nearly a decade and can tell you that the trucking industry is currently in dire shape. Thousands of freight companies have gone out of business in the last couple of years. Depending on the arrangements in this agreement it could completely cripple US based carriers.

    If they are restricted similarly to the US/Canadian arrangement it may not be to bad. However if they are allowed free reign with US freight it will be devastating to US companies.

  8. #8
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Yes, because God forbid we adhere to the agreements that we've ALREADY MADE and pursue free trade, which is the greatest engine of growth in our economy. It's far better to put the interests of a few people ahead of all of society.

    I support Obama 110% on this. I hope we can soon expand the scope of NAFTA, and also establish a Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) with any country in the Western Hemisphere that wants in.
    I don't have a problem with Mexican truckers, except that, when they were here in Texas before, they were not required to get the safety checks, and be subject to the same laws, that American truckers were, and this is why I was against it. There were several high-profile accidents here in Houston, in which American drivers were killed by Mexican truckers, whose trucks had bald tires and bad brakes.

    If Mexicans want their trucks in the United States, there had better be a ****ing clause in the agreement which requires them to operate accordingly, and be subject, to American laws and safety requirements, which provides penalties to offenders, and which takes trucks with bad tires, brakes, or any other feature that makes them unsafe, off the road. If they do that, OK, no problem. If they don't, then shame on Obama, and I will call him out as an accessory to manslaughter, which he will be certainly be in that case.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #9
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I don't have a problem with Mexican truckers, except that, when they were here in Texas before, they were not required to get the safety checks, and be subject to the same laws, that American truckers were, and this is why I was against it. There were several high-profile accidents here in Houston, in which American drivers were killed by Mexican truckers, whose trucks had bald tires and bad brakes.

    If Mexicans want their trucks in the United States, there had better be a ****ing clause in the agreement which requires them to operate accordingly, and be subject, to American laws and safety requirements, which provides penalties to offenders, and which takes trucks with bad tires, brakes, or any other feature that makes them unsafe, off the road. If they do that, OK, no problem. If they don't, then shame on Obama, and I will call him out as an accessory to manslaughter, which he will be certainly be in that case.
    Funny that you mention this. Being in the industry I naturally pay more attention to it then your average joe. In my experience trucks coming out of Mexico rarely meet US standards. Normally you can spot them as well. About 9 times out of 10 when you see a completely run down 20 year old truck (which is very very old in trucking) it will be a mexican truck or a person of hispanic origin operating in the US.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama, Calderon agree on process to resolve truck dispute Read more: http://lati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    All trucks operating on American roads have to meet American safety standards, regardless of what country they come from. Let's not pretend this is really about safety. The real explanation is this:


    Funny how those safety concerns just happen to coincide with your actual complaint.

    Economists don't agree with each other on a lot of things, but just about every economist of every political ideology agrees that free trade is extremely beneficial to a nation's economy.
    You show you know nothing about trucking. The US truckers had their safest year in 2009 since record keeping started. What was Obama's answer? CSA 2010. If Obama is about safety he will demand all Mexican trucks get inspected in the US. I doubt this will happen. I have been to El Paso and Laredo and have seen trucks with Mexican plates on them. I would not drive that junk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •