Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 133

Thread: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    I've never seen a line at the door at any of our post offices in VA.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Councilman nailed. it.

    Reduce mail delivery to three times a week, cut the post office work force by 2/3, and it'll make budget.

    Otherwise, this dinosaur will keep leaking like the Titanic. The world has passed it by.

  3. #33
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    I can't believe the Post office still delivers on Saturday. That's a no-brainer.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  4. #34
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    I can't believe the Post office still delivers on Saturday. That's a no-brainer.
    It's a law tied into the banks, I believe. Banks can't be closed for more than two days, nor can the post office.

    Made sense in 1950 when commerce ran exclusively through physical banks and the post office. Now, it's antiquated and unnecessary.

  5. #35
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    It's a law tied into the banks, I believe. Banks can't be closed for more than two days, nor can the post office.

    Made sense in 1950 when commerce ran exclusively through physical banks and the post office. Now, it's antiquated and unnecessary.
    I agree. We need a modern, leaner more efficient post office.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  6. #36
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Councilman nailed. it.

    Reduce mail delivery to three times a week, cut the post office work force by 2/3, and it'll make budget.

    Otherwise, this dinosaur will keep leaking like the Titanic. The world has passed it by.
    Well, there's that idea, however, all those current retirees, and the one's surely to take the "buyout" are going to have to be paid bu someone, and 2/3rd's less employee contributions ain't gunna cut it.. Guess that means that Uncle Sam will be there to pay for retirees until the cows come home.. Great gig that is.

    My postman is pretty cool guy, always on time, and takes my outgoing mail from my mailbox every time without any complaints. I think the USPS like no other has within it's infrastructure to outpace FedEx and UPS.. Like the other poster mentioned, those entities could never do what the USPS does. Cut the delivery days, cut the employees, redesign the pensions and benefits, lower wages, and increase costs for postage and the USPS will be in good shape.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #37
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I think the USPS like no other has within it's infrastructure to outpace FedEx and UPS.
    ...especially since, unlike FedEx and UPS, the post office doesn't have to show a profit. Government agencies never do.

    That's the same reason insurance companies have no chance against a public healthcare option.

  8. #38
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    ...especially since, unlike FedEx and UPS, the post office doesn't have to show a profit. Government agencies never do.

    That's the same reason insurance companies have no chance against a public healthcare option.
    At the same time, many private companies utilize these government agencies to increase their own profits. In fact, these private companies create the majority of the workload for this particular govenrment agency. Interesting, isn't it?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #39
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Councilman nailed. it.

    Reduce mail delivery to three times a week, cut the post office work force by 2/3, and it'll make budget.

    Otherwise, this dinosaur will keep leaking like the Titanic. The world has passed it by.
    And eliminate all these small town post offices. I'm talking a town of 300 people will have a post office. In almost every case their will be a larger town near by. An example of this is a town I lived that had one hundred seventy some people. We had a post office but we did not have deliverymen, it was strictly postal boxes. The neighboring town of 25k people was only 6 miles away where most people in the area worked anyway. So why not remove the expense of having a separate post office. I dont think many would have complained.

    Another easy money saver would be to require everyone to have a mailbox at the street. The town I currently live requires all new homes to have a mailbox at the curb however any current houses at the time of the law change were exempt. So we have thousands of homes with mailboxes at the front door meaning mail carriers must walk the routes costing us ALOT more in man hours.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    At the same time, many private companies utilize these government agencies to increase their own profits. In fact, these private companies create the majority of the workload for this particular govenrment agency. Interesting, isn't it?
    Even more interesting how, with all of this virtually guaranteed business, the post office went bankrupt.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •