Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 133

Thread: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

  1. #111
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    And it would lead to millions more private jobs as entrepreneurs filled the letter-carrier niche that was taken up by the bloated bureaucracy of the post office.
    The letter carrier niche would disappear. Most people here say it isn't even needed anymore. No private enterprise could do what the post office does.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  2. #112
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It depends on what you're getting. In the case of the USPS, it benefits everyone.
    It's like libraries, police, firemen, it'a service not a money making business.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  3. #113
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    The letter carrier niche would disappear. Most people here say it isn't even needed anymore. No private enterprise could do what the post office does.
    If no private enterprise can offer it at the current rate, then they will charge more. Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean that there is no free market solution.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It depends on what you're getting. In the case of the USPS, it benefits everyone.
    No, in the case of the post office everyone loses, because the public value it creates is outweighed by the public drain it creates as evidenced by the fact that it's going broke. If the government could make some money on the post office that would be one thing, but maintaining it at a loss is just stupid.

  5. #115
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, in the case of the post office everyone loses, because the public value it creates is outweighed by the public drain it creates as evidenced by the fact that it's going broke. If the government could make some money on the post office that would be one thing, but maintaining it at a loss is just stupid.
    Not really. The post office generates billions in the private sector which results in billions more in tax revenue.
    When the post office loses a billion yet generates two billion more in tax revenue from the private sector it is good for the economy and the country. We waste more in the military in a week than the post office loses in a year.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  6. #116
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, in the case of the post office everyone loses, because the public value it creates is outweighed by the public drain it creates as evidenced by the fact that it's going broke. If the government could make some money on the post office that would be one thing, but maintaining it at a loss is just stupid.
    No it's not. Why is it that so many people think that government should be a business. Government should not be a business, government should be a government. We have the two for a reason. The Post Office provides a service, a service which must be guaranteed. The government doesn't jack rates by large amounts, but a private company can if demand goes up. The government is long term stable, guaranteed to be here 20 years from now, a private company is not. Mail and mail services are exceedingly important and it is necessary that there always be something there to handle it. That's where the USPS comes in. It is free from the constraints of the free market, it doesn't have to make money since it's part of government. It can be guaranteed and ensured to be available to everybody. While there are a lot of things which can be done wirelessly, not everyone has the internet yet and the internet is not a public utility. As such, there has to be something based from the government to ensure uninterrupted service.

    We all win with the USPS and it is necessary. It does not have to make money, it has to exist.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #117
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    If no private enterprise can offer it at the current rate, then they will charge more. Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean that there is no free market solution.
    They will charge more and go out of business. Could the free market supply us with roads and bridges? With police and firefighters? With defense? Somethings can only be done by government. That's why the founding fathers created the postal service.
    Not to say it could not do a hell of a lot better job and be more cost effective. We have to fix the postal system, not privatize it or abolish it.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  8. #118
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    Not really. The post office generates billions in the private sector which results in billions more in tax revenue.
    When the post office loses a billion yet generates two billion more in tax revenue from the private sector it is good for the economy and the country. We waste more in the military in a week than the post office loses in a year.
    I can see your point. What I can't see is why the post office isn't required to raise rates to pay for itself. If it costs 75-cents to mail a letter, so be it. If junk mail goes from 6-cents (or whatever) to 12-cents, so be it. Why should taxpayers as a whole subsidize this system? There's no reason for it. Cut Saturday delivery. Close under-utilized post offices and give people the outside boxes that so many townhome subdivisions have...you know, the bank of boxes...put 'em in a well-lit location and be done with it. And if I get a few less pieces of junk mail in my mailbox: Hip! Hip! Hooray!!!!

    There's no reason it can't be run as a break-even proposition.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 03-04-11 at 12:52 PM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #119
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post

    We all win with the USPS and it is necessary. It does not have to make money, it has to exist.
    I agree and it can do better.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  10. #120
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Postal Service on path to be broke by October

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I can see your point. What I can't see is why the post office isn't required to raise rates to pay for itself. If it costs 75-cents to mail a letter, so be it. If junk mail goes from 6-cents (or whatever) to 12-cents, so be it. Why should taxpayers as a whole subsidize this system? There's no reason for it. Cut Saturday delivery. Close under-utilized post offices and give people the outside boxes that so many townhome associates have...you know, the bank of boxes...put 'em in a well-lit location and be done with it. And if I get a few less pieces of junk mail in my mailbox: Hip! Hip! Hooray!!!!

    There's no reason it can't be run as a break-even proposition.
    I don't really know why they don't raise rates either. Unless they figure sales would drop, That should be part of a strategy to cut costs and increase revenue. I do know people really bitch about it, even a two cent increase.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •