Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/03/02/libya-gadhafi-world.html
    The International Criminal Court will open an investigation Thursday into alleged crimes against humanity in Libya, the chief prosecutor's office has announced.

    Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Campo will work with the United Nations, the African Union and the Arab League, the office said Wednesday. He will also request information from other sources, including Interpol.

    Moreno-Ocampo will deliver a report to the UN Security Council within two months.
    Look at how fast things happen when a nutty dictator kills his own people and causes oil prices to go up.

    Two months seems like a long time though.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    With respect to possible war crimes/crimes against humanity, an article in today's edition of The New York Times concerning the battle for Brega highlights another possible war crime: human shielding. The newspaper reported:

    In a fierce day-long battle, rebel forces in this strategic oil town successfully repelled an attack on Wednesday by government-aligned mercenaries backed by artillery and war planes, witnesses in the town said. At least five were confirmed dead and 16 wounded in the fighting, the witnesses said, citing firsthand reports from the hospital...

    The mercenaries attacked at dawn, the witnesses said, arriving in a convoy of cars and pickups and armed with rifles and aging anti-tank guns. They quickly took the airport and a university in the town, an oil-exporting terminal on the Libyan coast around 500 miles east of Colonel Qaddafi’s stronghold in the capital, Tripoli. Witnesses said they took hostages at the university and used them as human shields.


    It should be noted that mercenaries, who are essentially hired killers, do not enjoy the extent of protections granted to other combatants under the Geneva Conventions. Hence, it is entirely legitimate for captured mercenaries to be tried and, if convicted, sentenced in accordance with their crimes.

  3. #3
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,580

    Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    With respect to possible war crimes/crimes against humanity, an article in today's edition of The New York Times concerning the battle for Brega highlights another possible war crime: human shielding. The newspaper reported:

    In a fierce day-long battle, rebel forces in this strategic oil town successfully repelled an attack on Wednesday by government-aligned mercenaries backed by artillery and war planes, witnesses in the town said. At least five were confirmed dead and 16 wounded in the fighting, the witnesses said, citing firsthand reports from the hospital...

    The mercenaries attacked at dawn, the witnesses said, arriving in a convoy of cars and pickups and armed with rifles and aging anti-tank guns. They quickly took the airport and a university in the town, an oil-exporting terminal on the Libyan coast around 500 miles east of Colonel Qaddafi’s stronghold in the capital, Tripoli. Witnesses said they took hostages at the university and used them as human shields.


    It should be noted that mercenaries, who are essentially hired killers, do not enjoy the extent of protections granted to other combatants under the Geneva Conventions. Hence, it is entirely legitimate for captured mercenaries to be tried and, if convicted, sentenced in accordance with their crimes.
    If the mercs are Muslims, they're going to say they were there for jihad and there won't be any trial. There were all kinds of mercs captured by U.S. forces in Afghanistan and Iraq and we've been told all this time that they have rights. Now, suddenly, they don't have those protections anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    Look at how fast things happen when a nutty dictator kills his own people and causes oil prices to go up.
    Yep, this is why (I'm not being sarcastic).
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Yep, this is why (I'm not being sarcastic).
    I know, neither was I.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    I want to know who is going to bring Gadhafi out to face the music?

    This should be done by the UN if they were worth a damn which they are never going to be.

    Then there is NATO since one of the new crimes Gadhafi personally accused of is the Lockerbie plane bombing and people on the plane live in NATO Countries.

    Obama could get that rolling if he wasn't a gutless march mallow milk toast.

    270 fatalities most from the US.


  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    joke Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I want to know who is going to bring Gadhafi out to face the music?

    This should be done by the UN if they were worth a damn which they are never going to be.

    Then there is NATO since one of the new crimes Gadhafi personally accused of is the Lockerbie plane bombing and people on the plane live in NATO Countries.

    Obama could get that rolling if he wasn't a gutless march mallow milk toast.

    270 fatalities most from the US.
    Good point, Councilman. We need to get ourselves a real leader with the balls to call them out on their war crimes. George W. Bush isn't doing anything at the moment, is he?

  8. #8
    Educator
    Ron Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner View Post
    Good point, Councilman. We need to get ourselves a real leader with the balls to call them out on their war crimes. George W. Bush isn't doing anything at the moment, is he?
    Awww, didn't get a Bush or Cheney indictment for Christmas again this year?

    Maybe next year. Be a good boy and don't forget to tap your heels three times.
    The national security of the United States can never be left in the hands of liberals.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    It should be noted that mercenaries, who are essentially hired killers, do not enjoy the extent of protections granted to other combatants under the Geneva Conventions. Hence, it is entirely legitimate for captured mercenaries to be tried and, if convicted, sentenced in accordance with their crimes.
    What is going unnoticed and unacknowledged in this forum and even outside in the media. Is the Mercenary role and the change in Libya.

    I lost any and all sympathy for the Libyan rebels the second they started targeting the indigenous Black population in Libya for lynching and murdering.


  10. #10
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Libya to Face War Crimes Probe

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If the mercs are Muslims, they're going to say they were there for jihad and there won't be any trial. There were all kinds of mercs captured by U.S. forces in Afghanistan and Iraq and we've been told all this time that they have rights. Now, suddenly, they don't have those protections anymore?
    There is a difference between being a mercenary and being a regular enemy combatant. It's a distinction that the Bush administration worked very hard to define, so that they could create a pretext for the prison at Gitmo.

    And no, saying that they are fighting a jihad will not save them from prosecution. You need to stop getting your facts from Glenn Beck.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 03-06-11 at 11:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •