Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 286

Thread: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

  1. #51
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-13 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    128

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    There are many more disadvantages than advantages for minorities. "Reverse racism"? What a laugh.

    Minorities are more likely to get discriminated on a day to day basis.

    There are already a ton of scholarships and grants that are need based which I think is the most important.

  2. #52
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    If it's from private donations they can give scholarships to only left-handed albino lumberjacks for all I care.

    edit: You know what? Left-handed albino lumberjacks deserve their own scholarship, oppression of this minority has gone on for TOO LONG!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #53
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Why? There are other race-based scholarships? Why not one for while males? Would you call group that offer scholarships only for blacks douchenozzls as well?
    No. Because the people who offer scholarships for blacks are attempting to benefit the black community, which has historically suffered institutionalized discrimination and continues to suffer non-institutionalized discrimination. Walk into an inner-city school and compare it to a suburban school, for a prime example of this. Are scholarships specifically for blacks the best way to remedy this? I don't know, perhaps not. But the people awarding them obviously mean well.

    The people who created this scholarship are douchenozzles because they are discriminating based on race in favor of a group of people who certainly don't need any extra help. And they aren't doing it out of altruism, they're doing it to make a political statement. An extremely douchey political statement. A political statement that is basically "The white man sure has it rough in this country." And anyone who honestly believes that is a Grade-A douchenozzle.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #54
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    If we wanted true equality we would remove the race & gender questions from all applications. Simply having these questions proves that equality is not the true motive.

  5. #55
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Animus View Post
    There are many more disadvantages than advantages for minorities. "Reverse racism"? What a laugh.

    Minorities are more likely to get discriminated on a day to day basis.

    There are already a ton of scholarships and grants that are need based which I think is the most important.
    That's not true, unless you're talking about one minority discriminating against another minority. As much black on white discrimination as I've seen in my life, I've seen even more black on hispanic and black on asian discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Hehe, Texas. A bastion of liberty, equality and happiness.

  7. #57
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No. Because the people who offer scholarships for blacks are attempting to benefit the black community, which has historically suffered institutionalized discrimination and continues to suffer non-institutionalized discrimination. Walk into an inner-city school and compare it to a suburban school, for a prime example of this. Are scholarships specifically for blacks the best way to remedy this? I don't know, perhaps not. But the people awarding them obviously mean well.

    The people who created this scholarship are douchenozzles because they are discriminating based on race in favor of a group of people who certainly don't need any extra help. And they aren't doing it out of altruism, they're doing it to make a political statement. An extremely douchey political statement. A political statement that is basically "The white man sure has it rough in this country." And anyone who honestly believes that is a Grade-A douchenozzle.
    So, now the white Liberal do-gooders have to bail us out, because we can't do it, ourselves. Yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #58
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    I wish this group existed while I was in college, although I didn't grow up in Texas.

    Help should be given out based on individual need, not based on whether one belongs to an ethnic group.

    I know a South African white guy who fled his country because of violence against whites. Now he is struggling in Canada to make a life for himself, but he can't get scholarships because he is WHITE. It's a joke. He went to fill out university applications, and they ask: "Are you a visible minority?" He had to say no. That is basically like saying if your skin is WHITE, you cannot get financial help or reduced tuition.

    The system needs to be MERIT BASED. If you can't afford school, then you have merit for scholarships. I am tired of the reverse racism.
    It should be called the United Cracka College Fund

  9. #59
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, now the white Liberal do-gooders have to bail us out, because we can't do it, ourselves. Yes?
    Who is we? Who is ourselves? Are you black?
    Most scholarships for blacks are offered by black individuals or black-run organizations...not by white liberal do-gooders.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #60
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's not true,
    Yes. It. Is.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/nyregion/13frisk.html

    Blacks and Latinos were nine times as likely as whites to be stopped by the police in New York City in 2009, but, once stopped, were no more likely to be arrested.
    Minority drivers likelier to be arrested - The Denver Post

    Black, Hispanic and white drivers are equally likely to be pulled over by police, but blacks and Hispanics are much more likely to be searched and arrested, a federal study found.

    Police were much more likely to threaten or use force against blacks and Hispanics than against whites in any encounter, whether at a traffic stop or elsewhere, according to the Justice Department.

    Read more: Minority drivers likelier to be arrested - The Denver Post Minority drivers likelier to be arrested - The Denver Post
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post
    Racial Discrimination in Jury Selection Remains Widespread, According to New EJI Study | Equal Justice Initiative

    Some district attorney’s offices explicitly train prosecutors to exclude racial minorities from jury service and teach them how to mask racial bias to avoid a finding that anti-discrimination laws have been violated.

    • In some communities, the exclusion of African Americans from juries is extreme. For example, in Houston County, Alabama, 8 out of 10 African Americans qualified for jury service have been struck by prosecutors from death penalty cases. In Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, there is no effective African American representation on the jury in 80 percent of criminal trials.

    • Many defense lawyers fail to adequately challenge racially discriminatory jury selection because they are uncomfortable, unwilling, unprepared, or not trained to assert claims of racial bias.
    JURIST - Paper Chase: US study finds widespread racial discrimination in jury selection in South

    A report [text, PDF] released Tuesday by the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) [advocacy website] details continued widespread racial discrimination in jury selection in Southern states. EJI conducted research in eight southern states over a two-year period and found that the practice of striking members from a jury based on race remains common, particularly in serious criminal cases and death penalty cases. The report details reasons given by prosecutors for the dismissal of African Americans from juries including "because they appeared to have 'low intelligence,' wore eyeglasses, walked in a certain way, and dyed their hair." EJI called the reasons given for dismissal "pretextual" and blamed the courts for "rubber-stamping" the reasons as race-neutral. The report also presents evidence that some district attorney's offices explicitly train prosecutors to exclude people from juries based on race and teach them how to present the reason for exclusion in an unbiased manner. EJI's Executive Director Bryan Stevenson commented on the report stating [press release]:
    You're kidding yourself if you think minorities aren't discriminated against on a day to day basis.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •