Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 286

Thread: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

  1. #221
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    if the system was rigged to keep a brother down, virtually none of them would be successful.
    Except for the fact that the system is not rigged. No welfare is not evidence of the system being rigged. If it was, poor people of other races, including whites, would all act the same way. There is a very real cultural difference that accounts for it.

  2. #222
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Except for the fact that the system is not rigged. No welfare is not evidence of the system being rigged. If it was, poor people of other races, including whites, would all act the same way. There is a very real cultural difference that accounts for it.
    exactly,,,,,
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #223
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The reason that Sharpton got to where he is, is that people like yourself that are afraid to question his motives and his rhetoric, because he's black. He wouldn't be as successful, if you didn't cut him some slack on account of his race.
    So far nothing you've said has challenged my statement that equality of opportunity does NOT exist. Whether it's due to outright discrimination in the legal system, economic problems with inner-city schools, or a more subtle victimization culture, it doesn't change the fact that these things ARE harmful and DO discourage success.

    You bitch about a victimization culture as though it were some alternative explanation, rather than a perfect EXAMPLE of the lack of equality of opportunity.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #224
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Yay a response that has nothing to do with the flaws I pointed out in your argument.
    Are you successful in life, or are you held back, because of Reconstruction and the fact that the best and brightest Southerners were all killed during the Civil War?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #225
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    I guess the question that begs to be asked is "Why do they have to be for a specific race"? And, "why just for men" - is there some unspoken competition between whites, blacks, asians and women? Have we come down to "let's see what race wins"? It all seems racists and sexists and it doesn't surprise me that it is in Texas.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  6. #226
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,947

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Whites have a few less health issues that do discern between the races.
    Red herring. You cannot take something that is genetic in nature AND outside the control of another. Discrimination by skin color is under the control of the discriminator. Unless you are stating that black are discriminated against for having more health issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    and some studies have been done that show that whites are more likely to be influenced (negatively) by racial stereotypes even if they believe they're not racist.
    I have to wonder about these studies sometimes. Are they attributing culture bias to race? I know I have seen black kids in their "gansta" get up and I get real leery. I do if I see any white kids similarly dressed, but with blacks being the majority who dress this way, I am more likely to seem to have a bad reaction to blacks than to whites. Likewise, I really don't think twice about a black person who dress well (anything from suit to nice t-shirt/jeans). Hell I've talked to a couple of people for an hour or more before I've noticed that they were black. I've also noticed negative reactions from myself from speech or attitude. Ones that, while not isolated to blacks, are dominated by them. Again, can my reaction to that be viewed as a racial bias when it's not really there?

  7. #227
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I'm sorry if you felt offended, it was meant to be a joke, me and oscar kid around like that sometimes.



    Totally agree



    It's easy for one or two studies to be flawed. But when a bunch of studies are taken together and all come to the conclusion that racism still exists, then you know something's definitely up. You have to face reality no matter how hard it might be.
    I didn't notice. Did they have serial killer, child molester, sniper, school shooter or mass shooter, in the study?
    Most of us would pick white guys for those crimes.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #228
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    I agree that if one particular individual fails in life, it is most likely due to his or her own lack of effort and didn't try enough. However if you ignore the individual and look on a macro scale, the reality is that there are certain groups within society that are marginalized, and this is reality. Now once we accept this, there are two possible conclusions a logical person arrives at: 1) there is something wrong with the group itself and 2) the system is biased against a particular group, or it's a mix of both (i think the truth is that it's a bit of both). The sociological data is clear: there are certain societal institutions that inherently treat darker-skinned people differently compared to lighter-skinned people even when all other factors are equal, and these include the job market and the justice system. Of course you don't want to teach your black child that he is doomed to fail because the deck is stacked against him, for his sake you want to teach him that he should give maximum effort in succeeding at life. But the reality is, in the real world people ARE often treated differently by society based on their skin color. It's not a liberal or conservative position, it is just plain unadulterated truth based on reams upon reams of sociological studies.

    And for the record I see absolutely nothing wrong with what this Texas group is doing, more power to them.

  9. #229
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I didn't notice. Did they have serial killer, child molester, sniper, school shooter or mass shooter, in the study?
    Most of us would pick white guys for those crimes.
    You'd have to ask Aunt S, I don't know the details of the study. But when it comes to criminal profiling you're correct that whites constitute the vast majority of those.

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Yes but WHY does that problem exist? Where did this attitude of discouraging one another come from? White people don't discourage each other by saying that they're acting white.

    This is an EXAMPLE of the lack of equality of opportunity that exists.
    It's a cultural problem and not restricted to Blacks. Many Latinos,most Native Americans, and many Whites have had similar experiences.

    Grow up in a small White community and many will discourage you from seeking any ambitions outside from where you grew up, that you are thinking you're something special if you want more out of life than those you grew up with. I spend half my time in Latin American and because North Americans and Europeans generally have more money they tend to think we are smarter, which is certainly not the case.

    Thankfully, and at last, the situation is changing in the Native American communities and they are showing Native Pride and moving ahead. It will still take a lot of effort to bring them up from where they were but now they are having some role models, which is a good place to start.

    You might think the people you grew up with are your friends but its surprising how many of them will show resentment if you leave the area, or success when you find it. People often try to keep others down to their own level because if you look good they become more aware of their own mediocrity. It's a cultural problem.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •