Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 286

Thread: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

  1. #171
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I'm sorry if you felt offended, it was meant to be a joke, me and oscar kid around like that sometimes.
    I wasn't offended - just adding to the topic.

    Totally agree

    It's easy for one or two studies to be flawed. But when a bunch of studies are taken together and all come to the conclusion that racism still exists, then you know something's definitely up. You have to face reality no matter how hard it might be.
    Absolutely - I waded through so many studies like that, and the results were all similar. . . it was EXTREMELY upsetting to me.

    My life has changed slowly with the new layers of reality I have become aware of. . .American Government and Americans in general have a horrible habit of CREATING problems - and then deciding "well - that's *your* problem, not mine" and stepping away from it all together instead of actually trying to change things.

    It's not like everyone was on the same playing field - and then we gave extra privileges to one group of people just because they got together one day and said "hey, you know what . . . I think I was extra sauce with that goose"
    But many people see the situation and think that's *exactly* how it happened.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #172
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    To me, getting a job means having the opportunity to rise up and overcome challenges, including the circumstances of birth and starting place in society. That's why the military is a good place to work, and advance.
    Not to mention it is an awesome support system for when you are going through problems, but the support system only helps if you want to help yourself... people in the military DO have various issues, and I found that my time in the military, I worked with people who would do everything they could to give you help when you needed it... but you had to want to help youself at the same time...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #173
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post
    Why no give scholarships to people who are most likely to graduate?

    California is spending billions of dollars each year to run minorities in the front door only to have the go out the back door in the first year. I think that the reason they do it is to keep the schools going and to pat themselves on the back for helping the minorities understand just how dumb they are.
    The inevitable result of affirmative action, quotas, and race norming...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #174
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Absolutely - I waded through so many studies like that, and the results were all similar. . . it was EXTREMELY upsetting to me.
    I think any person with even an ounce of compassion would be upset at seeing the same things, but at least to me, it's not at all surprising.

    American Government and Americans in general have a horrible habit of CREATING problems - and then deciding "well - that's *your* problem, not mine" and stepping away from it all together instead of actually trying to change things.
    Yeah...unfortunately that's just a part of human nature.

    It's not like everyone was on the same playing field - and then we gave extra privileges to one group of people just because they got together one day and said "hey, you know what . . . I think I was extra sauce with that goose"
    But many people see the situation and think that's *exactly* how it happened.
    Being a history and political science major really opened my eyes to this. The world naturally possesses haves and have-nots. It's important we get to the root cause of such problems rather than just window dressing through things like affirmative action quotas and points on college admissions, those merely treat the symptoms and not the cause.

  5. #175
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think any person with even an ounce of compassion would be upset at seeing the same things, but at least to me, it's not at all surprising.



    Yeah...unfortunately that's just a part of human nature.



    Being a history and political science major really opened my eyes to this. The world naturally possesses haves and have-nots. It's important we get to the root cause of such problems rather than just window dressing through things like affirmative action quotas and points on college admissions, those merely treat the symptoms and not the cause.
    I always equated the racist attitudes and actions that I've witnessed as being "part of living in a small crappy Arkansas town" - I've lived in Arkansas since I was 13 and especially in the town I live in now - there's a ridiculous amount of such things.

    I was actually surprised to see these same findings indicative regardless of where people came from - big city, rural america - east and west. If it was just one or two studies it would be easier to dismiss - but I've read through 15.

    Well - there is one study that was positive: the % of people with these views *is* declining - slowly. There's also the Flynn Effect which is very positive to me. . . sure, it's not a race-related effect - actually, that's what makes it so positive - overall - humans are evolving and the average intelligence level in every race is increasing jointly. Which means that race and gender are diminishing in people's success-factors.
    Since the Flynn-Effect is measured worldwide, not just within the US, it's a good sign.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 03-02-11 at 07:34 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #176
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I always equated the racist attitudes and actions that I've witnessed as being "part of living in a small crappy Arkansas town" - I've lived in Arkansas since I was 13 and especially in the town I live in now - there's a ridiculous amount of such things.

    I was actually surprised to see these same findings indicative regardless of where people came from - big city, rural america - east and west. If it was just one or two studies it would be easier to dismiss - but I've read through 15.

    Well - there is one study that was positive: the % of people with these views *is* declining - slowly. There's also the Flynn Effect which is very positive to me. . . sure, it's not a race-related effect - actually, that's what makes it so positive - overall - humans are evolving and the average intelligence level in every race is increasing jointly. Which means that race and gender are diminishing in people's success-factors.
    Since the Flynn-Effect is measured worldwide, not just within the US, it's a good sign.
    I think racism is something that resides subconsciously within our minds. Even those claiming to be open-minded liberals likely subconsciously harbor some racist views. It's always easier for the human mind to think using patterns generalizations and stereotypes rather than considering the individual, and that's why it's such a big problem. Even those who generally claim to not be racist (yours truly included) possess racist views at the subconscious level. It's hard to deal with a problem when its so entrenched within our own minds. The only way to deal with such a problem is to bring them to the fore, educate people about reality and hope they make a conscious effort to change their attitudes.

  7. #177
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,998

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes. Your reading comprehension. One is about a federal study. The other is a study done in NYC alone.
    So you are saying that NYC is the reverse of the rest of the country in likely hood of being pulled over vs arrested?

  8. #178
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think racism is something that resides subconsciously within our minds. Even those claiming to be open-minded liberals likely subconsciously harbor some racist views. It's always easier for the human mind to think using patterns generalizations and stereotypes rather than considering the individual, and that's why it's such a big problem. Even those who generally claim to not be racist (yours truly included) possess racist views at the subconscious level. It's hard to deal with a problem when its so entrenched within our own minds. The only way to deal with such a problem is to bring them to the fore, educate people about reality and hope they make a conscious effort to change their attitudes.
    I, overall, perfer people make an effort to be open minded - I know it's not 100% possible, but the effort should be there for it to count.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #179
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The problem is that ON AVERAGE blacks are far less likely to succeed than whites in this country.
    on that we agree. I just happen to want the blacks to take responsibility for their failure while you want to excuse their failure by blaming it on someone else.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #180
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    I have two adopted black sons.

    I sure as hell am not going to teach them that they are doomed to failure because the system is out to screw them. I prefer to teach them that they can do/become whatever they want IF they are willing to put forth the effort.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •