Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 286

Thread: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

  1. #161
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so now it's the employer's fault because momma named her kid shanaynay?

    ever try getting a job if your name is bambi? or summer? or jimbob or any of a wide variety of other redneck or bimbo names?


    little Sambo has the same opportunity as little Billy Bob or little Qui Chang
    It bothers me too - but statistic after statistic, report after report, research project after research project points out the painful truth about it.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #162
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so now it's the employer's fault because momma named her kid shanaynay? hell, when I was teaching public school I had a kid in homeroom one year named "Shithead" it was pronounced "Sha theed"


    ever try getting a job if your name is bambi? or summer? or jimbob or any of a wide variety of other redneck or bimbo names?


    little Sambo has the same opportunity as little Billy Bob or little Qui Chang


    keep em coming. for every example of discrimination against a minority you can dig up, I can come up with an example of where the same discrimination takes place against whitey.




    the system isn't fair...but it isn't fair for everybody.
    Why should someone's name even matter in the hiring process?

    I'm not giving "examples." I'm giving you studies that shows patterns and trends with large sample sizes. I could go on and give you more stuff like racial profiling and how law enforcement deals with minorities, but for some reason I think attempting to change your mind with statistics is futile.

    The only real institution in society in which whites are disadvantaged is the NBA.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-02-11 at 06:21 PM.

  3. #163
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Why should someone's name even matter in the hiring process?

    I'm not giving "examples." I'm giving you studies that shows patterns and trends with large sample sizes. I could go on and give you more stuff like racial profiling and how law enforcement deals with minorities, but for some reason I think attempting to change your mind with statistics is futile.The only real institution in society in which whites are disadvantaged is the NBA.
    yep, you'll never convince me that minorities are victims of society. the bulk of the blame for their condition lies on their own shoulders.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #164
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yep, you'll never convince me that minorities are victims of society. the bulk of the blame for their condition lies on their own shoulders.
    For individuals, perhaps. But when you see startling patterns and differences that emerge with an entire group, then something's definitely wrong.

  5. #165
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so now it's the employer's fault because momma named her kid shanaynay?
    If there's equality of opportunity as you claim, why should it MATTER what the kid's name is?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    hell, when I was teaching public school I had a kid in homeroom one year named "Shithead" it was pronounced "Sha theed"
    No you didn't. You got that story from Freakonomics.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #166
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Why should someone's name even matter in the hiring process?

    I'm not giving "examples." I'm giving you studies that shows patterns and trends with large sample sizes. I could go on and give you more stuff like racial profiling and how law enforcement deals with minorities, but for some reason I think attempting to change your mind with statistics is futile.

    The only real institution in society in which whites are disadvantaged is the NBA.
    You can understand, though, that it's an offensive suggestion. Of course not ALL white people are like that -sure! Just like not all black people are good at basketball.

    it's very hard for peopel to separate 'hardcore facts' from 'the emotional connection' to them.

    For a paper I'm writing I've had to research the subject of media-based stereotyping and how it might effect suspect identification (like for people picking out an offender from a police lineup).
    One study was done this way:
    People were given a variety of news-stories related to crimes like robbery, child abuse, murder, drug cooking and so on - things that had happened in the news. After reading these they were presented with photos of all the perpetrators of the crimes and then told to identify which suspect committed which crime.
    Black suspects were more likely to be chosen *incorrectly* for the more violent crimes than the white suspects.

    Reading that really bothered me - maybe their research was flawed? None the less - those are the results.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #167
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If there's equality of opportunity as you claim, why should it MATTER what the kid's name is?
    the name matters, not the race. a white person with a stupid name is going to be discriminated against just as much as a black person with a stupid name.



    No you didn't. You got that story from Freakonomics.
    as usual, you are clueless.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #168
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    If the system is so biased against minorities, why do the asian immigrants do so well?
    Because they typically don't attend inner-city schools, typically don't suffer the same level of discrimination at the hands of our criminal justice system, and typically have educated parents who also didn't suffer from these same problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    why do we have a black president? why do we have high ranking black military officers? why do we have black members of congress? why are there black CEOs?

    if the system is so "unfair" to minorities, how do you explain all the successful minorities?
    Because within any group of people, there will be some exceptional people who rise above the challenges they face. The problem is that ON AVERAGE blacks are far less likely to succeed than whites in this country.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #169
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    the name matters, not the race. a white person with a stupid name is going to be discriminated against just as much as a black person with a stupid name.
    Oh, so you have done some research on this? By all means, let's see your statistics then to support that claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    as usual, you are clueless.
    You literally just plagiarized an anecdote out of Freakonomics and claimed it happened to you, and *I* am clueless? I'm not a ****ing idiot, so just admit that you made it up and move on.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #170
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Texas Group Will Offer Scholarships To White Men Only

    You can understand, though, that it's an offensive suggestion. Of course not ALL white people are like that -sure! Just like not all black people are good at basketball.
    I'm sorry if you felt offended, it was meant to be a joke, me and oscar kid around like that sometimes.

    it's very hard for peopel to separate 'hardcore facts' from 'the emotional connection' to them.
    Totally agree

    Reading that really bothered me - maybe their research was flawed? None the less - those are the results.
    It's easy for one or two studies to be flawed. But when a bunch of studies are taken together and all come to the conclusion that racism still exists, then you know something's definitely up. You have to face reality no matter how hard it might be.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •