View Poll Results: If the government is shutdown, will the GOP get their demands?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the budget will pass as is and the dems will look bad

    4 14.81%
  • No, the shutdown will backfire and they will have to negotiate

    10 37.04%
  • The results will be mixed

    11 40.74%
  • Other, explain

    2 7.41%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 123

Thread: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

  1. #11
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    The chances of a shutdown are minimal. But all the attention to the topic is a good thing. The continued growth in spending/deficit/debt is now being widely recognized/accepted as being unsustainable.

    Nothing partisan here. Both parties spend a high percentage of their time trying to claim any/all good credit and paint the opposition as evil at any opportunity. Meanwhile diddly squat gets accomplished.

    This issue needs to stay in the headlines...



    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  2. #12
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,513

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    The chances of a shutdown are minimal. But all the attention to the topic is a good thing. The continued growth in spending/deficit/debt is now being widely recognized/accepted as being unsustainable.

    Nothing partisan here. Both parties spend a high percentage of their time trying to claim any/all good credit and paint the opposition as evil at any opportunity. Meanwhile diddly squat gets accomplished.

    This issue needs to stay in the headlines...



    .
    So it's a bluff in your opinion... What happens when the republicans don't get what they want, and don't shut the government down?

    Seems like they'll appear they didn't really try anything... being bipartisan, negotiate, offer a bill that could have actually passed... and that they are just full of threats and no action

  3. #13
    Advisor LimeLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    01-15-12 @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    343

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Did Obama not propose 1 trillion in cuts over a decade that was shot down by conservatives? What was wrong with that budget? Conservatives have shown again and again that they aren't able to come forth with a budget any more streamlined than Obama's.
    Obamas budject had tax increases and also contained spending that would raise the deficit at our current rate over the next 10 years.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

    Umberto Eco

  4. #14
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    So it's a bluff in your opinion... What happens when the republicans don't get what they want, and don't shut the government down?
    Seems like they'll appear they didn't really try anything... being bipartisan, negotiate, offer a bill that could have actually passed... and that they are just full of threats and no action

    Sort of depends on how the press decides to spin it. This isn't a "one sided stand-off". The proposed threat by the GOP to not raise the debt ceiling is balanced by the Democrats refusal to cut specific spending.

    Both sides have skin in the game. And both sides are playing it for all they can. Regardless how badly some may wish to portray it, the Democrats are not the designated angels in this matchup.....

    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  5. #15
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    Quote Originally Posted by LimeLight View Post
    Obamas budject had tax increases and also contained spending that would raise the deficit at our current rate over the next 10 years.
    What's wrong with a tax increase to cancel out the Bush tax cuts? That would be a net of 0.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  6. #16
    Student Gapeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    07-30-11 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    297

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    What's wrong with a tax increase to cancel out the Bush tax cuts? That would be a net of 0.
    Obama is the one who extended the Bush Tax cuts also. Also why are we only cutting a trillion dollars after 10 yrs when he is going to spend more then that in this year alone. How does this make sense at all?
    Ecclesiastes 10:2: "A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Government is not the solution to the problem. Government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan
    A soldiers blog

  7. #17
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Gapeach View Post
    Obama is the one who extended the Bush Tax cuts also. Also why are we only cutting a trillion dollars after 10 yrs when he is going to spend more then that in this year alone. How does this make sense at all?
    Again, he had to extend them because republicans said they would block any legislation until he did. He got strongarmed. Well, I don't think he had to, I would have told the republicans to shove it, but that's just me.

    And, while many share your concern, the GOP has not proposed any other plan. In fact, the GOPs only plan so far has been the exact same amount of money over the exact same amount of time. So... looks like we're stuck?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  8. #18
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    I just don't get this mentality of "Give us tax cuts! Why is there a deficit?!?"

    Bringing taxes back to their original levels would reduce the budget shortfall by $250 Billion in the short term. But god forbid the american people have to pay for what they voted for.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

  9. #19
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    I just don't get this mentality of "Give us tax cuts! Why is there a deficit?!?"

    Bringing taxes back to their original levels would reduce the budget shortfall by $250 Billion in the short term. But god forbid the american people have to pay for what they voted for.
    Didn't realize taxes had "original levels"....



    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  10. #20
    Educator TheBook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Last Seen
    11-28-11 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    880

    Re: GOP threatening to shut down government, but say it will be Dems fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Didn't realize taxes had "original levels"....



    .
    Sorry, back to their pre-Bush Tax Cut levels. Especially if this were to be combined with eliminating loop-holes, the savings could be closer to $400 billion in the short term.
    “The more you know, the harder it is to take decisive action. Once you become informed, you start seeing complexities and shades of gray. You realize that nothing is as clear and simple as it first appears. Ultimately, knowledge is paralyzing.” - Bill Watterson
    Who Is Chicago Ted?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •