Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 87 of 87

Thread: Canadian Family in Life Support Battle Denied Request for Hospital Transfer

  1. #81
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Canadian Family in Life Support Battle Denied Request for Hospital Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Tax dollars? No, I'm not among the government healthcare crowd.

    More importantly, I'm not for the state having any say in the medical decisions of parents whatsoever. That's what bothers me about this.
    So who then would pay for the child to remain on life support?

  2. #82
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Canadian Family in Life Support Battle Denied Request for Hospital Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    So who then would pay for the child to remain on life support?
    We would. Just ad hock, and through higher prices and with no method to show how much more than was needed we paid. We like paying more, we just don't want to know how much more, or have any controls on how much extra we can be charged.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #83
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    02-26-11 @ 05:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3

    Re: Canadian Family in Life Support Battle Denied Request for Hospital Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Let's face it, as a conservative, you just prefer your death panels be privatized knowing that someone makes a profit on your demise...

    Insurance company viciously denies lifesaving drug to cancer patient

    (just one easy link.... hundreds more where that came from...)
    I removed the link in the quote, because I think that may be what's throwing my comments into the moderation queue. Upsideguy, I'm pretty sure you didn't actually read the post on my blog that you linked to, because it establishes the exact opposite of your point (emphasis added):

    For years, Paula Oertel’s insurance company paid for an expensive drug which kept her in remission. But her move to another county triggered a review of her policy, and they suddenly stopped paying for the drug. Now she is estimated to have less than five months to live, all because her insurance company puts profits before people.

    Oh, wait, did I say insurance company? I meant Medicare.
    The fact is that health care is always rationed. It's rationed by providers who have this nasty habit of wanting pay for their products and services (just like you and I expect to be paid for our products and services), or else when you have a third-party payer, it's rationed by the terms of the contract, or else when it's the government, it's rationed by the fact that eventually you run out of other people's money.

    The question is, who do we trust to ration it, and against whom do we have the most leverage? Some nameless bureaucrat decides what's cost-effective and bam! there goes your health care. It happens in the private sector, like when hospitals patient-dump as they did with Dontae Adams. Or when Blue Cross Blue Shield & St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital wanted to get rid of Andrea Clark, a particularly expensive patient, and were pressured by the public into helping her family find another alternative for her care. The public has at least a little leverage when a for-profit company either has to abide by the legal terms of a contract or is worried about taking a PR hit. When it's the government, there's a lot less leverage because those bureaucrats know they almost certainly will not be fired, and that their budgets are going nowhere but up. There are thousands of examples of the NHS denying care; the government-run health care over there is sufficiently bad that this year they started moving back into a care-delivery model more like ours, where doctors, and not bureaucrats, are in control instead of a central government agency.

  4. #84
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Canadian Family in Life Support Battle Denied Request for Hospital Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    FoxNews.com - Canadian Family in Life Support Battle Denied Request for Hospital Transfer




    So with nationalized healthcare, a judge gets to make the decisions about the medical care for your children.

    Hmmm. I think I'll pass. Kinda sounds like one of those "death panels".
    Ok - I took some time to really think about this, my initial reactions were emotional.

    No question in mind that this couple cannot afford the continuing expenses of keeping their child on life support. Althought it might be extremely painful and difficult to let go - there's nothing that medical science can do to alter the inevitable path that things will take.

    Their hope is to come to the United States, have a costly surgery which they will not likely be able to afford and thus will need to have donations, write offs and other such things, only to take their child home and let the child pass away, anyway.

    I see that as just prolonging the inevitable.

    If there was a chance this child would recover and gain life - I'd be all for it. But it just seems that the parents are struggling with accepting the reality of things.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #85
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Canadian government orders child off life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    First of all, the OP is a lie. Here is the real story from Canada's main news network, the CBC: Dying Ont. baby's transfer to Detroit denied - Windsor - CBC News

    The issue is that the child's breathing passage is completely obstructed because of a neurological disorder. The kid is a vegetable, basically. The parents want the kid to die at home with them, but in order to do so the kid requires a tracheotomy so that he can at least breathe partially for the few hours it will take him to die. The doctors said that performing surgery now is pointless because the child is going to die either way, tracheotomy or no tracheotomy.

    The whole story is about the parents wanting the kid to die at home and trying to force the hospital to perform a surgery that is a futile waste of medical resources. They tried taking the issue to court, and the courts support the doctors. They tried transferring the kid to a hospital in Detroit to get the surgery performed, and Detroit said no.

    The parents are just in denial. Why should medical resources be wasted to support that? Let the kid die.

    Shame on the OP and Fox News for lying and leaving out the actual details. An American hospital rejected the surgery request. This has nothing to do with style of health care and everything to do with a couple of parents who are having trouble letting go, which is understandable.
    You're unbelieveable, calling others liars. How about you, the way you left out critical information like hospital security that won't let the family see their child? What kind of lie would you call that?

    Ont. hospital boosts security around dying baby - Windsor - CBC News
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #86
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Canadian Family in Life Support Battle Denied Request for Hospital Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Ok - I took some time to really think about this, my initial reactions were emotional.

    No question in mind that this couple cannot afford the continuing expenses of keeping their child on life support. Althought it might be extremely painful and difficult to let go - there's nothing that medical science can do to alter the inevitable path that things will take.

    Their hope is to come to the United States, have a costly surgery which they will not likely be able to afford and thus will need to have donations, write offs and other such things, only to take their child home and let the child pass away, anyway.

    I see that as just prolonging the inevitable.

    If there was a chance this child would recover and gain life - I'd be all for it. But it just seems that the parents are struggling with accepting the reality of things.
    EXCLUSIVE: 'Baby Joseph' Gets Second Chance at Life in U.S. - FoxNews.com
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #87
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-12-11 @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    53

    Re: Canadian government orders child off life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    First of all, the OP is a lie. Here is the real story from Canada's main news network, the CBC: Dying Ont. baby's transfer to Detroit denied - Windsor - CBC News

    The issue is that the child's breathing passage is completely obstructed because of a neurological disorder. The kid is a vegetable, basically. The parents want the kid to die at home with them, but in order to do so the kid requires a tracheotomy so that he can at least breathe partially for the few hours it will take him to die. The doctors said that performing surgery now is pointless because the child is going to die either way, tracheotomy or no tracheotomy.

    The whole story is about the parents wanting the kid to die at home and trying to force the hospital to perform a surgery that is a futile waste of medical resources. They tried taking the issue to court, and the courts support the doctors. They tried transferring the kid to a hospital in Detroit to get the surgery performed, and Detroit said no.

    The parents are just in denial. Why should medical resources be wasted to support that? Let the kid die.

    Shame on the OP and Fox News for lying and leaving out the actual details. An American hospital rejected the surgery request. This has nothing to do with style of health care and everything to do with a couple of parents who are having trouble letting go, which is understandable.

    Completely agree. This family is well aware that their son is going to die. They want to take him home to die. They are not trying to save his life. They went through this 8 yrs ago with another child. Now an "Activist Priest" is helping?!

    Activist priest helps severely ill Canadian baby get treatment in U.S. - The Globe and Mail

    This poor family.

    I live in Canada. I have no issues with our healthcare system. Of course it is not perfect. What system of any kind is? I don't have a problem with what has happened in this case. The hospital made its decision. Many medical experts around the world have agreed. The family choose to continue to look for help. My fear is what the hidden agenda might be of this "Activist Priest".

    Hope the family gets the closure it needs.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •