Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

  1. #1
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    SAN FRANCISCO -- The Obama administration has appealed a federal judge's ruling that found that agents under former President George W. Bush illegally wiretapped a suspected Islamic terrorist organization without a warrant.
    Why, Obama? Why? What angers me even more is this:

    President Barack Obama criticized Bush's wiretap program before taking office. But Obama, as a senator, voted for a 2008 law that authorized the surveillance.
    Come on man? My memory isn't that bad!

    *Edit:

    Sorry, I left out the link. Doh!

    http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/02...ling-that.html
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
    Last edited by whysoserious; 02-23-11 at 11:50 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    This is what is known as political Schizophrenia.

    People like Obama hear cheering crowds that aren't too.

    He's potentially dangerous to us and the rest of the world as well, because he is also delusional.

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    This is what is known as political Schizophrenia.

    People like Obama hear cheering crowds that aren't too.

    He's potentially dangerous to us and the rest of the world as well, because he is also delusional.
    Of course, using this definition, virtually every politician is delusional...

    Not saying you're wrong
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    I'm very disappointed to hear that. Obama seems to be breaking a lot of his campaign promises. I guess once you get in the WH, those juicy illegal wiretaps are just too tempting to ignore.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    Obama was probably against it until he got into office and had access to the classified wiretapping files. Maybe he saw things that we don't know about or understand, and he changed his mind. I'm against wiretapping without a warrant, but I'm just saying. Of course, maybe Obama had no intention of reversing wiretapping - wouldn't surprise me at all.

  6. #6
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Obama was probably against it until he got into office and had access to the classified wiretapping files. Maybe he saw things that we don't know about or understand, and he changed his mind. I'm against wiretapping without a warrant, but I'm just saying. Of course, maybe Obama had no intention of reversing wiretapping - wouldn't surprise me at all.
    That appears to be the case. I want to believe that he took office and was presented with some sort of information that made it impossible for him to end wiretapping. Something along the lines of it has prevented a few suitcase nuclear attacks. However, did he need to keep extraordinary rendition as well?

    These are basic human rights that are being infringed upon and we have been given no cause. It's unacceptable in from where I sit.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Why, Obama? Why? What angers me even more is this:



    Come on man? My memory isn't that bad!

    *Edit:

    Sorry, I left out the link. Doh!

    White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal | Nation | News...
    U.S. to Appeal Decision on Warrantless Wiretap - WSJ.com
    He was wrong when he voted for it and he's wrong now.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    That appears to be the case. I want to believe that he took office and was presented with some sort of information that made it impossible for him to end wiretapping. Something along the lines of it has prevented a few suitcase nuclear attacks. However, did he need to keep extraordinary rendition as well?

    These are basic human rights that are being infringed upon and we have been given no cause. It's unacceptable in from where I sit.
    Nothing found would require he not have appropriate oversight. I guess I really don't buy any defense of it. And I certainly don't buy keeping rendition. However, I do wish congress would step up and help him not only stop this, but close gitmo.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #9
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I'm very disappointed to hear that. Obama seems to be breaking a lot of his campaign promises. I guess once you get in the WH, those juicy illegal wiretaps are just too tempting to ignore.
    That's because it's all campaign rhetoric - and usually (look at all sides of the aisle) the person spitting it out only wants to get elected - not necessarily follow through with their empty rhetoric.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: White House appeals ruling that Bush-era warrantless wiretap was illegal

    I hate to contribute to the anti-Obama sentiments that the Right just revel in but, in terms of foreign policy, thus far his administration has been very disappointing. I am struggling to think of a single FP issue where his administration has made a positive contribution. He has reneged on campaign commitments to close Guantanamo, has side-lined and alienated his European allies, has proved to be irrelevant to current events in the ME and appears to be without any clear policy in Afghanistan and Pakistan. I suspect that the Right should be delighted, he has certainly proved himself to be no leftist, in fact his FP could barely be identified as liberal.

    I guess that the problem is his complete lack of previous FP experience, but he does have Joe Biden and Hillary C. Perhaps his FP failures should be laid more squarely at their doors. Whatever the case, it's difficult to be as enthusiastic about his prospects next year as we foreign well-wishers were 3 years ago. From an FP point of view, I can't imagine that many of the current Rep candidates (Sarah Yunohu excepted) would be any more ineffectual.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •