Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 301

Thread: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

  1. #281
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Try to follow the logic...

    1) The prez must uphold the constitution....

    2) DOMA violates equal protection... as does prop 8.

    3) Ergo...
    Follow the process... if a belief exists that DOMA violates equal protection, take it to the SCOTUS to have it reviewed and found unconstitutional. See, there's a process for that.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Follow the process... if a belief exists that DOMA violates equal protection, take it to the SCOTUS to have it reviewed and found unconstitutional. See, there's a process for that.
    Not necessarily.

    The DOJ under the executive branch can decide enforcement priorities. They can be sued for not enforcing a federal law, then SCOTUS can review the case and order the executive branch to enforce the law.

    As they did with the EPA and CO2 emissions.

  3. #283
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Evidence of "every president"? And what is your defition of "recent years"?
    Do you bother to read the sources linked multiple times in this thread? 13 times since 2004. Done before that as well, read the damn thread.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #284
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The only thing I can come up with is you refuse to say you're wrong. Continually pointing you to the Presidents own words doesn't seem to work... you apparently believe he is lying.
    Since I have no clue what your point is, or what you are saying I am wrong about, how the hell am I supposed to respond? Mindless accusations of vague things is useless. Say what you are claiming, I will address it. If you cannot be bothered to make your point, why waste my time?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #285
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Follow the process... if a belief exists that DOMA violates equal protection, take it to the SCOTUS to have it reviewed and found unconstitutional. See, there's a process for that.
    And that is exactly the process underway.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #286
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And that is exactly the process underway.
    But Obama doin it so it bad!!!!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #287
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    But Obama doin it so it bad!!!!
    Thought you said he wasn't "doing" anything.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #288
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Thought you said he wasn't "doing" anything.
    When did I say that?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #289
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    When did I say that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    So in your opinion, the president offering his opinion on a law is a violation of his oath. Ok.
    You're saying he's done nothing more than offer his opinion.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  10. #290
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You're saying he's done nothing more than offer his opinion.
    Wait. So now I'm not saying "he hasn't done anything," now I'm saying he's done something?

    I just want to be clear on this. When I said the president had done something, you concluded I was saying the president has done nothing?
    Last edited by Deuce; 02-27-11 at 07:19 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •